Went to a Concert Last Night — My Left Ear Is Relentless Today

Discussion in 'Support' started by DT_N_DA_CLUB, Jun 29, 2017.

1. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I had 21 dB musician custom made ear plug in my left ear. My right ear I had a 14 dB NRR in my right ear (I lost my other custom molded ear plug)

Anyways when I walked in the pavilion I didn't have ear plugs in. The mids were a bit too pronounced and bright sounding. I put them in and everything sounded good, I put the red filter in the EarPeace earbud because the regular filter wasn't giving enough protection and sounded distorted. I didn't stay in the pavilion too long, about an hour.

My left ear is relentless today, drinking and little sleep hasn't helped it. Hopefully it would subside. Hopefully I didn't F anything up.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Lelouch

Lelouch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/18/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Thats why you should just avoid concerts if you have tinnitus honestly. Not worth the risk

• Agree Agree x 8
    3. Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Ear-tooth infection
      Yeah, clubbing with tinnitus is just not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Be careful. That's not much protection. You want the full 33db NRR foam plugs for a concert. And they must be inserted properly - inserted deeply and there should be a seal formed in the ear canal. Ask yourself whether the risk is worth the benefit. Thrills come and go.

I feel for you and I hope things improve. Just try to relax and take it easy on the loud noise for awhile.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hope you feel better!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I'll update you guys, I'm staying positive. It could just be a spike. I'm kind of stubborn. I don't want to wear muffs or foam ear plugs. I like the musician plugs, so I can enjoy the music.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      So i took a xanax last night, when i woke up at 4 am I took some magnesium. So needless to say I slept well. T is lower as of now.

The band I saw Dead & Company so they aren't super loud like a metal band.

8. Ricardo AM
      No Mood

Ricardo AM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 / Hyperacusis since 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acustic trauma
      One isolated event for an hour is something you should probably recovery if you give yourself a rest to your ears in next days.....

If i was you i would not repeat this so often (even if your "spike" gone this time...)

An honest advise / today i am paying the price for pushing my luck too many times on similar situations in the past (specialy in 1998 to 1999 - a wildest time when i assisted to about 50 (if not more....) LOUD music concerts in such a short period.

Indoor concerts are the most dangerous in my own opinion!.....
      The reason of my permanent Tinnitus!

Wish you the best luck!

9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Are metal bands actually the louder? Or is it the distortion and aggressiveness that makes it seem that way?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Oh I guess I forgot to say I already have tinnitus. That's why I brought ear plugs, when I walked in I foolishly wanted to hear how loud it was in the pavillion.

The tone of the guitar bothered my ears. It was mildly uncomfortable, nothing crazy.

I think if I didn't wear ear plugs eventually I would have got used to the loudness and that tickle in the ear would have went away. Ear fatigue would have set in etc.

My ears were not muffled after the show either. I need to go to the audiologist and get my right ear molding and filter replaced. The left ear had a 25 db filter on it.

For the kind of concerts I go to I'm sure it's fine. I know people say to go with foam to knock out 32 db. But I want to hear the band.

I think what happens at some of these concerts the sound guys hearing sucks and they still try to mix by ear. They just needed to EQ the mids.

11. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      I saw a cover band last week and didn't have my ear plug in that much. -- They weren't that loud but loud enough to spike my T in my right ear where I have it. -- I should have known better..

Hoping it will subside. Not losing sleep but annoying none-of-the-less..

12. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hope you feel better soon!
      I got my T from a concert (trap music/electro) and it was insanely loud, according to the friends I was there with but I didn't feel that it was THAT loud (funny thing I had a good time but ignorance is a bliss and now I'm left here with T permanently) and since then I have not been anywhere near a concert, club or similar. Sometimes I need to have dinner or take drinks at bar because of work, but I always have good plugs with me and put them in as soon as I walk in the door and notice it is crammed with people. It can be very loud sometimes and better safe than sorry.

You did have your plugs in and all, so it should be fine. Would recommend to use higher protection plugs that at least covers like 30db and up, just to be on the safe side. Yes, the sounds will be a bit distorted but it is not worth the risk of having worse T or new sounds to be honest. Rather hear the music weirdly than to forever hear the "eeeeee" over everything. Take care!

13. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      Good to see you're still going to events and stuff even with T. Next time you know that them plugs don't offer enough protection and it might be worth wearing foam plugs.

the music might not sound as good but I know one thing that sounds worse - increased T for the rest of your life.

14. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Metal bands are extremely loud. I wear the 33 db plugs and muffs. Also depends on the band...I wouldn't wear anything less, I go frequent enough. Even the bands not playing ridiculously loud I hear just fine. I'd say, screw the musician plugs. The best protection is a deeply inserted foam plug(the price you pay for wanting to live life with T, but it could be worse), and they are cheap!

• Like Like x 1
    15. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Or just wear custom moulds @s-viv. I find foam plugs muffle the sound too much