What Antihistamines Are Not Ototoxic → Safe for Hyperacusis / Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by haha ear go eeee, Aug 13, 2023.

1. haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      Because I'm experiencing these weird mast cell issues, I've started on my daily Benadryl and Reactine combo again. I've taken this pretty regularly before and during my onset of hyperacusis. I only stopped about a month ago because I had ran out of my prescription. I started taking them again about a week ago.

I've noticed my tinnitus is a bit louder throughout the day, and I'm wondering if it's because of the antihistamines. It very well could also be because I've had multiple loud noise exposures this week and I've noticed my TTTS is a bit worse.

Just in case they are causing this spike, are there any antihistamines that aren't ototoxic? Do we know the specific dosage of each medication that the risk of ototoxicity occurs at?

Thank you.

2. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock/noise-induced
      Based on my previous research, all antihistamines carry some risk of ototoxocity. That said, if you're really struggling with symptoms, I completely understand that you may need to bite the bullet & take something.

Have you considered trying natural antihistamines to see how they work for you? Ginger is one, & was actually found to be as effective as 10 mg of loratadine for allergic rhinitis in a fairly recent study. Then there's quercetin & bromelain...

Also, I highly, highly advise supplementing with vitamin D. A lot of people are deficient & vitamin D is really important when it comes to immune system functioning. Chris Berg on YouTube talks a lot about vitamin D... check him out if you're interested. And I'd suggest getting your vitamin D levels checked as well!

Cheers,
      Maddy

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      Unfortunately, I think the mast cell problem has made me develop an allergy to salicylates. So no ginger for me sadly.

What would you say? Do you think Quercetin is safer for ototoxicity levels than your standard antihistamines? I know that zebrafish study suggested that it's ototoxic, I'm not sure to what degree and if it's on the same level as Benadryl and Reactine.

I'll look into the vitamin D thing though!

4. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock/noise-induced
      Unfortunately, Quercetin supplements are also high salicylate :/

If you think you're having issues with salicylates, I would also check to see whether your current allergy meds don't happen to have them (maybe e-mail the companies?).

Neil Bauman may also be helpful in helping you decide the least ototoxic antihistamine. Yes, he's not a doctor but he has done a lot of research into the ototoxicity of meds & I've seen him advise people on his blog. You can even e-mail him directly if you like.

Yes, definitely look into the vitamin D! It makes a huge difference for a lot of people with immune issues.

Cheers,
      Maddy

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I haven't had any luck with any except Singulair, but it only helps the lungs.

I would avoid Benadryl in general as it an anticholinergic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Natta

Natta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NSAIDs
      Is your opinion the same regarding antihistamines?

My MCAS has gone haywire after treating a bacterial infection with herbal antibiotics. I have gone from eating, say, 40 different foods to barely 4-5 and reacting extremely severely - bone pain, inflammation, etc. I'm considering LDN, but it will be a few weeks before it arrives from abroad (not available to me here in Northern Europe), and both my doctors are recommending (a) Epipen to carry with me and (b) mild antihistamine like Desloratadine. My tinnitus was caused by NSAIDs back in 2018, and it's been a huge debilitating thing in my life. On the other hand, my current situation with MCAS is also very bad.

Thank you.