While on Vacation, I Thought I Was Hearing an Insect — It Was the Start of a New Tinnitus Tone

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael1334, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Michael1334

Michael1334 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have developed a new tinnitus tone while on my vacation. I have not been doing anything loud, just pretty much beach time with the kids.

It is not there 24/7. At the start I thought it was coming from an insect. It comes on throughout the day. It is not constant but it is loud when it comes on.

Before this, I already had a distortion static type tone, only when specific noises are around.

Worth noting is that if I so much as just place my finger over my ear hole this new tone disappears.

Anyone else experience this?
      And have new tones remained for some and disappeared for others?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Michael1334.

You have had noise induced tinnitus for quite some time and usually habituation occurs within this period. If this hasn't happened or a person notices a new sound(s) developing, the reasons for this are normally related to sound, providing there is no underlying medical cause within the auditory system responsible including hearing loss and it's not brought on by stress.

Hyperacusis often accompanies noise induced tinnitus. If you had this when you first developed the tinnitus and it hasn't been treated or it is still present, this includes being sensitive to normal everyday sounds or certain sounds, then it's likely this is the reason for the new sound you are hearing. If you have been using headphones, earbuds, headset even at low volumes, these can cause a new sound(s) to develop. If you have been listening to loud music in the car at home through speakers this can cause it too, especially if you are oversensitive to sound.

You have had noise induced tinnitus since 2018 and therefore have some experience with it. Before hearing this new sound, if you had completely habituated, meaning able to get along with your life accepting the way the tinnitus behaves without it being a problem to you, even if it should ramp up occasionally, you've had no oversensitivity to sound issues (hyperacusis)? Then the usual reason for hearing a new sound(s) is further exposure to loud noise, which you haven't been aware of, this includes listening to music through speakers - or using headphones, earbuds, headset even at low volumes.

Please click on the link below and read my post: Will my tinnitus get worse?

All the best
      Michael

Will My Tinnitus Get Worse? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't exactly have this type of sound, I hear an "idling engine with a hint of a foghorn humming" type of sound, very low in frequency, varies in volume, but it can reach awful loudness and it comes with a vibrating feeling. Mainly in my left ear. It stops if I cover my ear with my hand, put my finger in it, talk, hum, etc. Earplugs don't make it stop. For me it is recurring, the shortest bout was a week, the longest has been going on for 4 months, but with days off and currently I'm not hearing it.

I think it can be some Eustachian Tube problem or MEM, but I visited many ENTs and they don't have the vaguest idea.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael1334

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes, that does sound kind of similar in terms of how my first tone disappeared for 3 weeks and then returned. It's been about 6 weeks on and off.

When yours comes back, does it stay for the whole period or come on and off throughout the day, @Kriszti?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael1334

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Michael Leigh, I hope all is well.

Honestly I'm still in the process of getting used to it as it got worse for me like 5 months ago. I've also been off work for 3 months now. I guess these things take time getting used to. In terms of hyperacusis, I don't have any pain whatsoever I'm only scared to hear anything loud again and further worsen tinnitus. Everything has become noticeably loud due to that, but weird thing is this weird noise comes on and off throughout the day, but only in one ear. Have you experienced this sort of thing?

Thanks.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Michael1334

Please write my name without using a comma at the end, then I will receive an alert message.

When I was habituating to tinnitus over 20 years ago and again in 2008 for 4 years, I experienced similar things to what you describe but it has remained the same for quite some years, even though it is variable. You may need some professional help with an Audiologist that's trained in tinnitus and hyperacusis management if things don't improve for you. Try some of my self-help suggestions in my posts: Hyperacusis, As I See It and Tinnitus, A Personal View, in the links below.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

Hyperacusis, As I See It | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

7. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It doesn't seem to follow a clear pattern. I have half days off/entire days off, but I can not connect it to anything (maybe stress, but there isn't a straightforward connection). But it's not like yours in terms that it doesn't come and go throughout the day generally. It did happen that I woke up during the night a couple of times not hearing it then by the morning it was back again, or woke up in the morning with it and by the afternoon it was gone, but more commonly it lasts for longer periods.