Why Does My Tinnitus Disappear in Silence? Is This Positive?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pabl692, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.
      Hi,

Sorry for posting again, I just have a few questions that I would like to see if anyone can help with. I'm still relatively new to all this (it's been just over three weeks since I really noticed the tinnitus).

So firstly, there are 2/3 tones. Two of them are more like pure tones, perhaps 7500 Hz and one maybe a bit higher. They seem to fluctuate between one ear, or both (middle of my head). They seem to fluctuate in volume, but they are both quite easily maskable and only seem loud when in a silent room, or at least a quietish room. If I stay in a silent room long enough, or wear ear plugs, these tones disappear. I am then left with the electrical noise (below) and some white noise. Why would this be? Is this a good sign? However, it does seem that any general sort of sound triggers these tones. They can sometimes disappear when there is noise around, but not so often. When I wake up in a morning, these tones aren't there. Sometimes they don't come on until after I've had a shower etc.

But there seems to be no sort of rhyme of reason to it... they come and go in their own severity. This can't be a good sign? Is it likely this will calm down?

The other is a really high frequency hiss. When this is louder, it is much harder to mask. I can be at work, in the atrium with a couple hundred students and I can hear it above them all (albeit faintly). I find this one particularly frustrating. It is like there is a TV turned on in my head - it's really electrical, it just hisses. If I move my eyes, or even if I keep my eyes still and stare at my computer screen and then scroll down a page, I can stimulate the sound. Can anyone relate?

There has been a few times when I am convinced that it has disappeared. But only a couple of times. It does seem to be quieter more often now, but when it is loud, it is loud. So I'm pretty certain that this is here to stay? I love watching movies and things, but watching TV seems to aggravate it... using headphones and watching on my tablets masks it (I only did this once when this all started, I didn't realise it was a bad idea), but I guess headphones are a bad idea? Even on low volumes?

I listened to a frequency generator online. I seem to hear things well from 0-15000 Hz then it gets more and more difficult, and I have to turn the volume up to here any further. Without cranking the volume too much, perhaps around 40%, I seem to be able to hear a tone up to around 16500 Hz. I'm only 26... so I'm assuming this isn't great. So it seems to me that my electrical noise is a result of hearing loss...

I really would like to play with my band again. I'd definitely use ear plugs, of course. But is the risk too big? Will I be more prone to hearing loss now?

Sorry, I know there are a lot of questions here. Please forgive me, just this is a brilliant community and I'm still gathering as much information as I can.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      This could be reactive tinnitus. I am not 100% sure though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      It's reactive tinnitus.

4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yeah it seems to be reactive. I would take it as a warning to go easy on your ears. It might be that in time if you stay away from loud noise your ears may recover. It can get better but can get a lot worse when people ignore the signs or become complacent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      No, it’s not, there is no evidence that supports headphones being a bad idea at low volume. Why would wearing headphones at a safe volume be any different than listening through external speakers at a safe volume? You can have a pressure level at say 65 dB at your ear through any means, including headphones. Just because you put them on your ear doesn’t mean that they have to be louder than a sound that originates at a distance. Don’t listen to the bull shit people spew here, you have to have common sense. My TV irritates the shit out of my ears, but my high quality headphones don’t as much, reason, the quality of sound, no distortion, less pain, this is a fact, even for people with perfect hearing, and no tinnitus. Enjoy your movies!

I like to listen to music at moderately high volumes on headphones, ignore the pain of my hyperacusis and try and drown out my tinnitus, this kind of thing is obviously not very smart. Maybe this is why people blame headphones, it’s easy to get careless and if you want, you can hit some pretty intense sound pressure levels with ease if you choose to do so. Again, just use common sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      Enjoy the silence and try to make it last

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.
      Thanks guys - I didn't know reactive tinnitus was real.

I'm laid in bed and the only sound I can hear is the electrical noise. I really wish this one would go away.

The thing is, I don't know how far I should be protecting my ears now. Is playing in a band with ear plugs a bad idea? Should I be wearing them walking down a main road?

Is the general noise at work going to make it worse or cause further damage? Or would it be going to concerts without protection that does most damage?

8. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Yeah I have reactive tinnitus, but my tinnitus comes from a neck or jaw misalignment. My tinnitus is only there 60% of the time for some reason. The other 40% of the days the tinnitus is so low I can barely hear it. Still trying to figure out why it goes away 40% of the time.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Pabl692

As you are new to tinnitus I understand that you want to gain as much information about it as possible. I want to try and steer you in the right direction and hopefully allay some of your fears and concerns that you may have.

Firstly, there is no such thing as "Reactive Tinnitus" It is a term that was made-up in tinnitus forums and is commonly used today. Some in the medical profession have latched onto this terminology and are attempting to make it into a treatable condition, purely for monetary gain in my opinion. Indeed, your tinnitus is reacting to sound but this has more to do with the "noise trauma" that you have endured and also hyperacusis. This will hopefully improve and settle down in time.

My advice to you is give your ears a break and don't play any music in your "band" for at least 3 months preferably longer or when your tinnitus completely settles down. The fluctuations in the tinnitus are not uncommon in the early stages. Again, this will settle down. Try to avoid listening to the tinnitus to check whether it is there or not and try to keep away from quiet rooms and surroundings by using sound enrichment whenever possible.

Please click on the links below and read my articles and posts that I think will be of help.
      Take care

Michael

PS: One last thing. I advise you to never ever use headphones even at low volume. More is explained in the links below.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-is-trt-and-when-should-it-be-started.19024/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-ent-doctor-and-hearing-therapist.24047/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.
      I'm trying my best to give my ears a break, but I don't really know what that is. I'm not attending any places where there is loud music. Even in the car, I have the radio on pretty low. I've even been wearing earplugs in the car. Is this too much? When I'm at work and it gets pretty noisy, not like a concert level, I notice my T also gets louder. Should I be avoiding situations like this? I just don't know how far to take it.

Do you think that I have a bit of hyperacusis? I find now that high pitched songs, even things such as the tap running in the sink at home, can send my tinnitus crazy. And as soon as I turn the tap off, my ears make a noise following the sound. That might not make sense, but it is hard to describe. Don't get me wrong the sounds aren't painful exactly, they just seem a lot sharper and perhaps a bit louder than usual. It is like the gain on my ears has been turned up and I'm just more sensitive to certain sounds... weird.

11. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Even if your tinnitus improves a lot over time (maybe years), please stay away from music / bands / concerts. Its only my opinion based on my personal experience.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Pabl692
      All the answers to your questions you will find in my articles and posts above. Please take your time and read through them slowly to absorb the information. If you have a printer then I advise you to print them and refer to them often. Start off with reading: New to tinnitus what to do? Then Tinnitus, A Personal View. Pay particular attention to Hyperacusis, As I see it. Here I mention the importance of not overusing ear protection.

It seems you have hyperacusis and this comes in different levels of severity and affects people differently. My post: Hyperacusis, As I see it, covers means and ways to treat this condition with self help. Tinnitus and hyperacusis takes time to improve, so you have to be patient.

You are new to tinnitus and shouldn't be on a hurry to be seen at ENT as long as you do not have any: deafness, dizziness, or pain in the ears. By all means have a word with your GP and get a referral to ENT for tests. A 4 to 6 months wait I recommend will suffice. Start using a "sound machine" by your bedside at night for sound enrichment - more is explained in my posts.

Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      The whole sound machine thing, yeah. I saved my money (to buy an Indiana Jones jacket - why is this relevant? It's not!) and simply downloaded the Relief app and play violet noise all night long from my phone speaker, which is very pleasant and soothing to my sore ear. I'd highly recommend that, based on my own experience, but everyone's different.

• Like Like x 2
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not everyone owns a cell phone.

15. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      I had a millennial moment.

• Funny Funny x 2
    16. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I was in Punjab when a monkey snatched my phone out of my hands... When I looked up there were a group of monkeys chatting and using their flip phones on the lam. If a group of rhesus monkeys in India have phones I'm sure most people do!

17. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Tinnitus disappearing is always a positive sign!

• Agree Agree x 4
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.
      I have the same app :) I used it a couple of times to play crickets and things when this first started. But I've found that I don't really need to mask it, weirdly. I am always so tired at night that I could fall asleep on a washing line.

In terms of helping with the hyperacusis (I think mine must be very mild, but I do feel like my ears are sensitive at the moment to certain sounds), is there a preference between what sound to use? White noise, brown, violet?

Violet noise sounds just like my tap in my kitchen. When i turned it off, my ears follow the sound. But the violet noise seems to massage my ears, if that makes sense haha. I want to try putting it on just below my tinnitus when I sleep, to see if it helps, but I don't want to use the wrong type of noise and make things worse..

@Michael Leigh Thank you for your help again. I have read those articles, but I will reread.

Still not feeling super great about this and still have questions, but I guess I just need to wait it out.

For sure it is, I just wondered whether having those spells indicates a better chance of long term healing.

19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It takes time to recover @Pabl692 months rather than weeks and it's something that can't be rushed. It is for this reason I strongly advise you to PRINT my articles and not just read them on a screen. By taking your time and referring to them often you will be able to understand tinnitus better. Have a talk with your GP if you are feeling stressed.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Phones are cheap in India. In Canada, one has to pay more than $100 per year for these phones. If you know you won't be using it, paying this money "just in case you need it" seems like a huge waste. Also I know that my phone (if I were to have one and to pay for the annual minutes) would never be charged, so even if I were to need it, I wouldn't be able to use it.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pabl692
      Alone

Pabl692 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Performing musician.
      This electrical noise is driving me crazy. I'm at work, and when I move my eyes it shifts and changes. I can't even describe how annoying it is. I do think it gets worse after eating sometimes, like as if it reacts to my blood pressure. Who knows.

It's approaching 4 weeks now, so I really can't see it just going on its own now.