Will Gabapentin Worsen Tinnitus Caused by SSRI Medication (Citalopram)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ellees, Jun 1, 2024.

1. ellees

ellees Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI medication
      Hello,

I have been experiencing tinnitus for the past 4 months after taking Citalopram (an SSRI) for 5 days. While the tinnitus has reduced from its initial onset, it hasn't gone away completely. I think I may be prescribed a medication like Gabapentin for the chronic pain I've been experiencing, but I'm terrified that it will worsen my medication-induced tinnitus.

Does anyone have any experience with taking Gabapentin after SSRI-induced tinnitus? Did Gabapentin make your tinnitus worse, or did it have no effect on your tinnitus?

Thanks!

2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I'm sorry to hear about your concerns. I have been taking Gabapentin along with SSRI/SNRIs for many years, and it has not affected my tinnitus. Just to let you know, my tinnitus was not caused by medication. I understand the fear of starting a new medication while worrying about the impact on tinnitus. This has been my experience, for what it's worth. Good luck!

3. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Gabapentin might or might not affect your tinnitus. I've seen people report both that it does and that it doesn't. I take it on and off. When I first tried it, it spiked me temporarily. But each subsequent try over the next year resulted in less and less spikes. Now I can take it without any issue.

I would say try the lowest dose you possibly can and measure your results. Very slowly taper up. Maybe try 100 mg at night for a few weeks. Then 100 mg in the morning and night for a few more weeks. Then 100 mg in the morning, afternoon, and night time. That should get you up to the minimum clinically significant dose of 300 mg/day.

4. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      If anything, Gabapentin slightly reduces the tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ellees

ellees Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI medication
      Was your tinnitus medication induced?

6. kingsfan
      Haunting