Benefactor
Hall of Fame
Oct 5, 2017
Murica
Tinnitus Since
Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
So I got tinnitus from being at a concert and using headphones, tinnitus was primarily in my left ear. My tinnitus was mild around a 3-4 out of 10. I had mild Tinnitus from October 10 - January 15, 2018. I also had hyperacusis which went away. Hearing exams were 100% normal. My ENT thought I had brain neuroma, blood cancer, otosceloris, cochlear hydrops, Meniere's disease, etc. She insisted I do a CT and MRI scan, which I did, she later recommended that I do ECOG, Acoustic Reflex, cVEMP, Caloric Test, blood work, etc to rule out if I have a major disease or condition. My audiologist also refused to believe my claim that I have noise induced hearing loss, instead he said I might have a disease and that we need to get it treated. He said and I quote "tinnitus does not lag or delay, it happens on the spot."

MRI, CT scan came out normal, Tympanometry came out normal.

However, when I did the Caloric Test (ear syringing tests) January 15, 2018 where water was blasted into the ear to test for dizziness, it caused damage. The cVEMP was a 90 dB NHL test where headphones were inserted into both ears and loud (very loud) clicking sounds were emitted into each ear for a minute. The results were again NORMAL. My ENT wondered if I have cochlear hydrops and still refused to believe I have noise induced hearing loss.

My tinnitus went from a 3/10 to a 10/10 on January 16, 2018 for three weeks and the tinnitus spread from the left ear to the right ear. I got severe hyperacusis on both ears, people talking, laughing, coughing or me talking caused PAIN. It felt like someone was stabbing my brain with needles. My tinnitus lowered in February of 2018 to a 8/10 and it stayed that way since. Hyperacusis is still bad. The hearing exam following the tests revealed mild hearing loss in noisy areas and hearing loss (slight) which was not the case before.

When my tinnitus was mild, it was mostly an electrical zapping sound in the left ear, after that my tinnitus transformed into a high pitch dentist drill that cannot be masked, a screeching sound on the right ear, and the worst, brain tinnitus which is a dial tone. I cannot be alone in a quiet room because those sounds are too much to handle. The dial tone tinnitus is so bad that it feels like my head is going to explode.

It has been a year and I am still struggling, struggling more than ever, trying to survive, trying to live a normal life. I got tinnitus when I was 27, this year I will be 29 :(

It has been a year and I am still struggling. My ears make clicking sounds.

Think positive and hope these new treatments on the horizon will work for you... If we can calm the brain down your sounds will reduce...

Yeah , I am waiting for neuromod :)
Susan Shore Device. I live for the day when my life will return to where it left off Sep 23, 2017......

@dpdx

I've been watching your posts and hoping, praying, for a breakthrough. I hope things turn the corner for you soon.

Yeah , I am waiting for neuromod :)
Susan Shore Device. I live for the day when my life will return to where it left off Sep 23, 2017......

I understand your feeling. Every time I see a photo before 24-10-2017 I feel like "oooh, I was so lucky with very mild T"

I also had problems before. But tinnitus is too ugly.

I am 1 year 4 days in my friend. I am struggling. It's a little easier to live with it than it was 3 months in but I would lie to you if I said it's not running my life.

Here is a hope to a brighter future and maybe it will just go away one night for us !!!

I am 1 year 4 days in my friend. I am struggling. It's a little easier to live with it than it was 3 months in but I would lie to you if I said it's not running my life.

Here is a hope to a brighter future and maybe it will just go away one night for us !!!

its the Hyperacusis that's really bad. I am starting to habituate to the very loud tinnitus.

The text could be literally written by me. Just replace VEMP with acoustic reflex test and tympanomentry and change the date to 22/11/2018.

Once you have hearing loss, you start to appreciate the things, you didn't before. Having full hearing was never a topic to me, because it was a naturalness. Now after we lost hearing, we start to recognize, how precious an intact and normal hearing was. :(

I miss my old life too. I try so hard to forget it, but you can't, because you get reminded by it every single second. It's so shitty to lose something, you need the entirely day, the entirely life. And to know, it doesn't get any better.

Sometimes I look at my colleages in university with jealousy, that they have the power of full hearing and carefee light-heardness. Of course, everyone has his issues, but hearing loss it's something, you can't solve.

Hear inner cells are needed the whole day. But mine hear inner cells are lying dead in my ear, like my ear is a graveyard.

Always had the best hearing of all my friends, people sometimes mock me, when I quiverd over loud noises and was scaried, when a loud motorcycle came and I closed my ear. Now I'm the one of them with permanent hearing loss

Hearing exams were 100% normal
you know damn well those hearing test are inaccurate.

http://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/

upload_2018-12-7_17-10-50-png.png

entma18-plack_fig-2-new-png.png

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595516302507

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now