A Positive Thread: What Calms Your Tinnitus?

:)Having trust in GOD and his doings helps me to calm down and focusing on things other than T also helps.

Drinking fluids also helps to feel relaxed.

Wish all a good long healthy life and a Tinnitus free life.

Afeef

Take good sleep, be more positive and relax, go on vacation to unwind, eat healthy foods, live life abundantly doing things you love to do and helping others in need. These definitely can calm down T a bit.

Take good sleep, be more positive and relax, go on vacation to unwind, eat healthy foods, live life abundantly doing things you love to do and helping others in need. These definitely can calm down T a bit.
Yes! I just bought train tickets yesterday for a relaxing week in the country, I will get to have a nice seat on a lovely 12 hour ride, and then a week of camping, hiking and BnBs by myself in the woods... sounds lovely! I didn't realize how badly I needed a vacation until I bought the ticket.

Unconsciousness is the only thing that can calm my T; I suppose. Seriously though, silence often seems to inhibit my T from exploding. But it doesn't work always. I wish I could be unconscious forever. That or T gone.

When I get T, the right ear feels stuffy like there's a Eustachian tube blockage.

When you get T ? So you have it intermittently then?

@linearb , you're going on that journey alone?

What calms my T / makes me forget about it:

-enjoying life, having a good meal, going out with my children or my boyfriend
-running long distances
-having sex and cuddling
-relaxing, watching TV
-takinf a shower

Everything that ampumpkin said.
Listening to nature sounds---sometimes 3 to 4 sounds together if my T is louder than usual.
Watching TV with close caption helps my mind focus on the show.
Sleep is a big one---all of the above helps me sleep. :)
Good luck everyone.

@NiNyu It's kind of complicated. If I get a head cold which can block the Eustachian tube, it seems to cause mucus to build up in the middle ear due to the vacuum that is generated in the middle ear and it makes tinnitus worse. After taking Nasonex to unblock the tube, the T still exists but is much less. I bought the eardoc (www.eardoc.info) which generates vibration and I sometimes use it to try to vibrate the middle ear mucus to get the stuff to move around and lower the T. Not sure yet how effective that is.

Soft vibrational & pulsating sounds together with magnesium can calm my T physically, for a short period of time, even if not always. All the above mentioned things are able to help me because they contribute in relaxing and in taking my mind away from it, but they don't affect my T, just the perception of it.

I am not sure how my tinnitus started, but I suspect it's due to a combination of loud music, neck issues, and TMD (TMJ). Some neck postures might sometimes help soften the ear ringing, but it is very difficult to tell. Contrary to what I have read here, my Tinnitus seems to be worse on the morning. It usually gets better during the day, when I am distracted doing work or other things. Sitting and lying down usually do not help my t. I will try the hot/cold pads on my neck and even jaw. Maybe it will help...

Had hissing T for 8 years and it was caused by showering under undrinkable water. Showering eases the T for a short time, even if it is only whilst under it. For medium level discomfort I am happy listening to birds singing. When the volume level is intolerable the only thing I can listen to is waves crashing on the shore (3hrs downloaded from YouTube), loudly. Oddly enough I cannot stand white noise at all, maybe because the sound is so similar to my T.

I bought the eardoc (www.eardoc.info) which generates vibration and I sometimes use it to try to vibrate the middle ear mucus to get the stuff to move around and lower the T. Not sure yet how effective that is.

That's interesting. I did something similar with a massager device (Homedics Splash massager) and it does have some effect on my T as well. Bottom line, you could use anything that vibrates strong enough.. ^^

Being with animals helps me calm mine, they just bring so much love and peace. If I ever don't feel well I like to go to my beautiful little girls Rosie and Daisy :)

I usually listen to binaural beats (tones that are meant to heal parts of the body), and it's amazing! I also use acoustic neuromodulation which has a positive effect on my T. It has actually improved to the point where I barely hear it. Look it up on Youtube :)

No idea why my T started. It began with a bunch of brain symptoms suddenly coming on overnight.
What calms my T most is walking. I walk for miles. The longer I walk the better my T and in fact it goes away completely. The further I walk the longer it stays away after the walk also. I don't expect anyone else will find this works for them since my T is not like anyone else's here.

Started using a product called, "Calm". Mixed with alkaline water any water is fine. Two teaspoons in about 8 oz. Its making a difference in the level of intensity for sure. I bought at a Vitamim store. Massage therapist recommended. Also do at least 15 miles a day on bike and no caffeine.

So great to read everyone's posts. Sleep, distraction, posture, passion, nature ... so many good things on here. :) Most of all, giving it little attention is key. If you haven't already, take a look at Back to Silence thread in Success Stories on here.

So great to read everyone's posts. Sleep, distraction, posture, passion, nature ... so many good things on here. :) Most of all, giving it little attention is key. If you haven't already, take a look at Back to Silence thread in Success Stories on here.
Hey @Lisa88 , long time no see! How are you doing these days?

Funny enough housework and walking and being busy busy busy! I thought perhaps I had sshl because of being stressed and so manically busy but right now the same calms me! Hugs to all xxxx

Listening to music with headphones on a low volume to help mask it while I work at my desk. Even better if I spend my day outside and have the city background noise to help drown it out.

What calms down my Tinnitus - well -

Spending lots of time in the company of friends/family - I seem to radiate outward from myself and towards them, and forget about the T

Playing Bridge - too busy calculating what I'm going to do with my hand of cards.

Singing in the choir - too busy reading the music and the words

Gardening - too busy deadheading the flowers and checking the plants generally

Too busy playing with my beautiful cat and making a fuss of him to hear my T

Really engrossed in drawing and painting (I am an artist) where I have to really focus down on what I am producing on paper.

Watching good movies and reading books, getting engrossed in the story and forgetting T

When T is really bad, I go for a walk and look at the skies/trees and buildings and try to see things I've not noticed before. I like to feel the wind and the air on me - again its something outside of myself.

Another satisfying job is to go through my entire wardrobe and try to find things that I can give to the charity shop, as well as a big tidy up.

Is this of help to anyone?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now