Tinnitus Talk

Knowledge Base
Author
Staff
Hall of Fame
Jan 23, 2012
www.tinnitustalk.com
Tinnitus Talk submitted a new resource:

A Trial of Magnesium Dependent Tinnitus (version 1.0) - To examine any change in the perception of tinnitus in patients supplemented with magnesium.

The purpose of this study is to examine any change in the perception of tinnitus in patients supplemented with magnesium (535 mg daily).

Descriptions of tinnitus date back to the time of ancient Egypt, yet science has failed to unravel the mysterious underlying mechanisms that produce these subjective auditory perceptions of sound. These perceptions may be manifestations of damage resulting from noise exposure, ototoxicity, or other abnormal conditions of the auditory system. However, many...

Read more about this resource...

The trial should be completed this month. This was a Phase 3 trial. All the trials were conducted on people with moderate to severe tinnitus. The trial was double blind--i.e., some people were given magnesium while others were given a placebo--which gives it clinical significance.

From the Phase 2 trial, completed in 2011, researchers noted that magnesium supplementation significantly reduced tinnitus severity. See http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01273883

I took magnesium for a while maybe 6 months. I am not sure it helped my T but I am sure it helped me in other ways such as with my anxiety and stress as magnesium so I believe it was worth it. I no longer supplement magnesium or anything else because I have such a healthy diet I believe I get all need. There are not many things you can do that can directly affect your T but indirectly there are ways of coping.

ive just started supplementing with mg threonate as it is the most readily absorbed form of mg (or so ive been told..). I do have depleted serum mg, so I thought this would be appropriate. my cardiologist also wanted me to trial mg to see if it impacts on my bouts premature ventricular contractions and hand/leg cramps, which are very uncomfortable. I don't expect miracles so far as my t goes, but because I feel mg has so many other useful applications, I will stay on this long term. I think it has settled my nerves a little, which is a good thing.

Are there any results from this trial @Markku please ? thanks
Results of this most recent magnesium trial haven't yet been published in any scientific journal, as far as I could find.

The measured values have however been published on the study's ClinicalTrials.gov page in January 2015. I've embedded some screenshots below.

There is also another study of the same name, article published in 2011, which you can see here.

Below taken from: https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT01273883?sect=X01256

trial-of-magnesium-dependent-tinnitus-pic-1.png

trial-of-magnesium-dependent-tinnitus-pic-2.png

Results of this most recent magnesium trial haven't yet been published in any scientific journal, as far as I could find.

The measured values have however been published on the study's ClinicalTrials.gov page in January 2015. I've embedded some screenshots below.
Thanks Markku - well done thats brilliant! Sadly it looks like the magnesium didnt make any difference......:(

I have had IV magnesium I think 4-5 times, interesting experience. Like your blood was infused with pepper :p
Did absolutely...nothing.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now