re-animator

Author
Oct 16, 2024
Tinnitus Since
10/2024
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic Trauma
Hi All,

I'm really struggling with a new case of tinnitus. The tinnitus started after a loud noise exposure during my first visit to an indoor gun range. Unfortunately, near the end of the session, my hearing protection slipped a bit on my right ear, and after two shots from an AK-47, I noticed a ringing. When I removed my hearing protection at the end of the session, I realized my hearing was very muffled in my right ear, and I completely freaked out. Thankfully, my hearing returned to normal after about an hour, but the ringing has persisted.

The next day, I had to fly home, which meant I had to deal with the noise right away. I used earbuds to try to protect my ears as much as possible. When I saw a GP, they said it would likely improve since it was a one-time event. However, it's now been over two weeks, and the ringing is still there. I've been using water sounds to mask it during the day, but it's driving me crazy.

I saw an ENT who did a hearing test (up to 8 kHz), and they found my hearing to be normal. I asked about steroids, but the ENT wasn't keen on prescribing them. When I inquired about the tinnitus, they seemed indifferent, simply crossing their fingers and saying they hoped it would go away.

This experience has been especially hard because I already struggle with anxiety and depression, and I lost my father earlier this year. It hasn't been an easy year, and this has pushed me over the edge. I've had to take time off work, and I just can't seem to focus on anything. It feels like a fuse has blown in my brain. At this point, I think I'll need to get signed off work entirely, as I feel like I'm spiraling down a black hole.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here exactly... Reading posts on Tinnitus Talk and writing this out seem to be the only things giving me a small sense of control over the situation.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The first days can feel overwhelming for everyone.

Two weeks is a short time in the context of tinnitus. Most people start to see improvements after six months or more. I've read several stories on this forum from people who experienced acoustic trauma from gunfire and fully recovered, but it took time. I keep track of success stories, and after 10 months, one person shared, "I had debilitating hearing loss and tinnitus, which has mostly vanished."

In the meantime, remember the TPP protocol: time, patience, and protection.
  • Protect your ears from loud noises.
  • Be patient, and let time do the healing.
  • Keep yourself busy, avoid silence, and find a masking noise on YouTube that matches your tinnitus. Play it at a volume just below your tinnitus level to help distract you and fall asleep.
  • Eat healthily, avoid alcohol, and consider cortisone if you're within the first month.
More experienced members, please correct me if I've said anything inaccurate.

@re-animator, hi there! I also developed tinnitus from firearms, so I understand the anxiety and panic you're experiencing—it's no fun. Are you able to sleep? I struggled with sleeplessness, waking up several times each night, and never feeling truly rested. For the first three to four months, I averaged only 4-5 broken hours of sleep per night. I thought I was losing my mind. Since I don't trust most doctors or their medications, I just kept going until I finally began sleeping 6-7 hours a night. That was a monumental improvement for my mental and emotional well-being.

Do what you can to sleep as soundly and as long as possible each night. If the ringing becomes unbearable at bedtime, try running a box fan—it can help distract your mind from the noise enough to help you relax.

Furetto is right: live by the TPP protocol and be patient. My tinnitus gradually became quieter around the 4-5 month mark. It's still there, but now it's mild. I don't plan to ever shoot guns again, and I constantly weigh the risk vs. reward whenever someone suggests a loud activity. I went to one outdoor concert this year, and I made sure to sit far from the speakers while wearing foam earplugs the entire time.

Hang in there. Life goes on!

I can really relate to your story—not so much the specific events, but the overall trajectory. I've had tinnitus for 20 years, and I remember how unbearable it was at first. I was so young and naive; nothing seemed to help, but eventually, I just got used to it. Over time, it became a part of my life. Although it never went away, I learned to manage it.

Two weeks ago, I went to an outdoor concert. I had earplugs with me, but very foolishly, I took them off when my favorite band took the stage. I got caught up in the moment and the adrenaline, thinking it was outdoors, so it would probably be okay. Ever since, I've been suffering from the loudest ringing I've ever experienced, along with ear pain. This has put me in a really bad place—I'm incredibly angry with myself and fearful this might be permanent.

Based on my symptoms, I suspect I have an acoustic injury, so I'm making an appointment with an ENT. Unfortunately, I've found that many providers don't seem to take tinnitus seriously, as if they don't fully understand its impact on quality of life. I'm struggling to concentrate and feeling extremely irritable.

I did read that Prednisone might help, so it could be worth finding an ENT who will really listen (no pun intended) and advocate for you. Research suggests that Prednisone can be an effective treatment for acoustic injuries, and there shouldn't be any reason a doctor would withhold a seven-day steroid pack.

@re-animator, hi there! I also developed tinnitus from firearms, so I understand the anxiety and panic you're experiencing—it's no fun. Are you able to sleep? I struggled with sleeplessness, waking up several times each night, and never feeling truly rested. For the first three to four months, I averaged only 4-5 broken hours of sleep per night. I thought I was losing my mind. Since I don't trust most doctors or their medications, I just kept going until I finally began sleeping 6-7 hours a night. That was a monumental improvement for my mental and emotional well-being.

Do what you can to sleep as soundly and as long as possible each night. If the ringing becomes unbearable at bedtime, try running a box fan—it can help distract your mind from the noise enough to help you relax.

Furetto is right: live by the TPP protocol and be patient. My tinnitus gradually became quieter around the 4-5 month mark. It's still there, but now it's mild. I don't plan to ever shoot guns again, and I constantly weigh the risk vs. reward whenever someone suggests a loud activity. I went to one outdoor concert this year, and I made sure to sit far from the speakers while wearing foam earplugs the entire time.

Hang in there. Life goes on!
I'm managing to sleep, although I'm currently taking Nytol (Diphenhydramine), so I'm not sure what it will be like without it. I plan to try going without it soon. Right now, I'm getting about 5-6 hours of sleep each night. I've been using rain and fan sounds to help me fall asleep. However, I did manage to sleep last night without them by focusing mentally on the tinnitus to try to lessen its impact.

I'm trying to be patient and wait it out, but it's not easy. A few days ago, I woke up, and for a few seconds, everything was silent. Then, once I was fully awake, the tinnitus returned. Like you, I never plan to go near a firearm again—it's just not worth the risk for me.

I'm really struggling at the moment and have been signed off work. This whole situation has pushed me over the edge. I was already very stressed before this happened, and this was just the final straw.
I can really relate to your story—not so much the specific events, but the overall trajectory. I've had tinnitus for 20 years, and I remember how unbearable it was at first. I was so young and naive; nothing seemed to help, but eventually, I just got used to it. Over time, it became a part of my life. Although it never went away, I learned to manage it.

Two weeks ago, I went to an outdoor concert. I had earplugs with me, but very foolishly, I took them off when my favorite band took the stage. I got caught up in the moment and the adrenaline, thinking it was outdoors, so it would probably be okay. Ever since, I've been suffering from the loudest ringing I've ever experienced, along with ear pain. This has put me in a really bad place—I'm incredibly angry with myself and fearful this might be permanent.

Based on my symptoms, I suspect I have an acoustic injury, so I'm making an appointment with an ENT. Unfortunately, I've found that many providers don't seem to take tinnitus seriously, as if they don't fully understand its impact on quality of life. I'm struggling to concentrate and feeling extremely irritable.

I did read that Prednisone might help, so it could be worth finding an ENT who will really listen (no pun intended) and advocate for you. Research suggests that Prednisone can be an effective treatment for acoustic injuries, and there shouldn't be any reason a doctor would withhold a seven-day steroid pack.
I'm sorry to hear about your recent spike, and I hope it improves for you. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to find a doctor here who will prescribe it. I hope you have more luck with your ENT appointment than I did!

I'm in the same boat, brother. I'm six months in, dealing with unilateral tinnitus from shooting a 9mm without ear protection. It does quiet down over time. Just know it gets easier. I still have bad days, though. Stress and tiredness can have a negative effect on me, but it's a lot less than when I first started. I have good days and bad days, but life goes on.

Look up some success stories, man, and remember that in two years, you, me, and everyone else here will be in a much better place. I took prednisone during my first two weeks, and it helped. Make sure you get your hearing checked, including both low and high frequencies. I have perfect hearing in both, which gives me hope that it might go away someday.

I hunt and shoot quite a bit, but now I double up on hearing protection. You'll be okay. Life goes on, and it does get better. I'm currently on a program with Treble Health that helps people habituate to their tinnitus over time, and I highly recommend them; they're great. You're still early in your recovery from the acoustic trauma, so you have a strong chance it could improve or even go away.

I'm in the same boat, brother. I'm six months in, dealing with unilateral tinnitus from shooting a 9mm without ear protection. It does quiet down over time. Just know it gets easier. I still have bad days, though. Stress and tiredness can have a negative effect on me, but it's a lot less than when I first started. I have good days and bad days, but life goes on.

Look up some success stories, man, and remember that in two years, you, me, and everyone else here will be in a much better place. I took prednisone during my first two weeks, and it helped. Make sure you get your hearing checked, including both low and high frequencies. I have perfect hearing in both, which gives me hope that it might go away someday.

I hunt and shoot quite a bit, but now I double up on hearing protection. You'll be okay. Life goes on, and it does get better. I'm currently on a program with Treble Health that helps people habituate to their tinnitus over time, and I highly recommend them; they're great. You're still early in your recovery from the acoustic trauma, so you have a strong chance it could improve or even go away.
I appreciate the support. I hope your situation continues to improve.

How much has your tinnitus quieted down? Mine used to sound like a hiss from a CRT, but now it's more like a tone. The volume seems to vary quite a bit throughout the day. Interestingly, after a hot bath, it seems to back off a little!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now