• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Actual Long-Term Remission from Tinnitus Achieved

Hi @From9to<1, your post gives me a lot of hope.

However, it would be incredibly helpful if you could list the supplements or medications you used.

We all rely on Tinnitus Talk to educate ourselves, fully aware that we are responsible and that we should consult a doctor before using any supplements or medications.

Withholding the names of the supplements or medications is like telling a drowning person, "There's the shore you need to swim to, but I can't give you a boat because sharks might attack it."

We would be sincerely grateful if you could reconsider and share the specific supplements or medications you used.

I have a list of 18 different supplements and medications that seem to work for many people based on my research of this and other forums for over three weeks, spending 6 to 8 hours daily. I will post these later this week.

If I were to test all 18, along with the vasodilator, anti-clot medication, and antihistamine you mentioned, it would be far more dangerous to my health, not to mention expensive and time-consuming.

Kindest regards.

However, it would be incredibly helpful if you could list the supplements or medications you used.
He did do so. Check a few posts up.

Hi @gameover and @From9to<1,

As far as I understand from the postings, the supplements were never mentioned, only the medications.

Would you PLEASE also post the supplement cocktail? I suffer from exactly the same tinnitus as @From9to<1, and I am truly extremely close to suicide now.

I'm nearing the end myself because I've been trying to get a vasodilator and an anti-clotting drug. I've explained how distressing and emotionally disturbing my problems have been over the past four years, with no end in sight unless I can either treat whatever is causing this or end things for good. I don't want to die, but I can't keep living in constant anxiety and stress, always wondering when this will happen again. I can't keep taking massive doses of prednisone; that steroid is going to kill me in the end. I've heard of countless cases of cerebrovascular events, myocardial infarctions, and long-term bone diseases from patients who took too much corticosteroid medication, either repeatedly or over extended periods.

When I mentioned this to the online doctor (I think it was Updoc), they passed me around to several doctors and nurse practitioners. And what was the outcome? Nothing. I got a refund—thankfully—but their reasoning was that it was "out of scope." Yes, I have a complex problem with a simple cause: blood clots! Hello, doctors! HELLO!!!

If you're in Australia, forget about Updoc. They will NOT help you. I explained how serious this was, and they just refunded me, saying it was too far out of their scope to treat a simple condition like blood clotting.

I can't keep playing this game. I know what's causing this problem, and relying on dangerous drugs like steroids that can destroy your health in the long term is not the smartest way to handle each major episode. The other option is suicide because I'm not willing to let this condition further destroy my second most prized sensory function. I feel trapped, with no tools left to deal with this, except self-destruction, because it seems there's no way out unless I can get on those clot-preventers. Otherwise, I'm reasonably sure I'm screwed.

I've had 11 major episodes of sudden hearing alterations, involving severe distortions, drops in hearing, low-frequency hearing loss, and a whole bunch of other symptoms that nobody wants to experience. This will kill me in the end—there's no mistaking it.

I don't even know what this is. Could it be autoimmune inner-ear disease (AIED)? I don't think it's just Ménière's, and even if it is, isn't Ménière's just a catch-all for a wide range of inner-ear diseases?

My main GP is now writing a referral to a rheumatologist. I'm going to ask the rheumatologist for a blood coagulation test and all the autoimmune blood tests because I don't want to end up taking my own life over something that could be treated.

Good argument:

I took 1-3, then 4 and 5 later (and still).

1) Hydralazine 50 mg
2) Warfarin 5 mg
3) Hydroxyzine HCL 50 mg
4) Valsartan 160 mg
5) Chantix

I hope this helps someone.
Hello, and thank you! Your original and subsequent posts have inspired me. Your descriptions of yourself and your symptoms mirror my own, except for your bout with deafness in one ear as a child and the fact that I am 20 years older. Tinnitus struck me almost exactly one year ago, and I am convinced it was caused by ototoxic medications, though that's almost irrelevant now since I am no longer taking them.

In an effort to get better, I first had my hearing tested, which showed a slight reduction in one ear but nothing significant. The audiologist wanted to put me into sound therapy for my tinnitus, but I had read too many criticisms of that approach here and was determined not to be one of those people running around with hearing aids emitting exotic noises for years. So, like you, I sought an alternative medicine-friendly doctor and read everything I could find.

There are anecdotal "cures" that may be true for some individuals—like those who claim daily ginseng, Acai berry, or Horse Chestnut solved their problems. However, I've tried to focus on studies with some scientific basis. I haven't yet tried any neuro-modulation approaches, though those are on my radar. But two studies, in particular, have caught my attention.

The first study is a European study published by MDPI of Switzerland, titled "The Effect of Antioxidant Supplementation in Patients with Tinnitus and Normal Hearing or Hearing Loss." You may have come across it; it's likely posted on this website somewhere. The study found that antioxidant supplementation with vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) taken over three months could significantly reduce the loudness and intensity of tinnitus. Does it cure my tinnitus? No. But does it help? Yes, definitely.

I found I could replicate the formula from the study by taking a specific "natural food-sourced" multivitamin, a B-Complex vitamin (I actually calculated all the dosages), along with Alpha Lipoic Acid (twice a day) and Grape Seed Extract. Additionally, I was already taking supplements touted for tinnitus, such as Taurine, and a formula of Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) containing Quercetin and Resveratrol, spaced out during the day. At bedtime, I take a regimen that helped me conquer insomnia a year ago, which includes GABA, L-Theanine, Magnesium L-Threonate, Valerian Root, and Zinc (see "Master Your Sleep" by Huberman on YouTube).

My tinnitus is so quiet and calm most mornings that I often wonder whether sleep itself is the cause or if some of these supplements, particularly GABA, are contributing. I don't know for sure, but I've become a morning person! I am taking a lot of pills, but they are all natural supplements, mostly vasodilating or anti-inflammatory, and I am bombarding my system with antioxidants. My doctor's response? "Not a bad idea."

The second study you might be familiar with is the Notched Music approach, titled "Music-induced cortical plasticity and lateral inhibition in the human auditory cortex as foundations for tonal tinnitus treatment." The concept is explained in simple terms on the AudioNotch.com website. I have created 113 separate pieces of notched music, mostly classical, and I listen to them while working. It's easy. Does it help? It's too soon to tell. But if, in addition to habituation, coping, and masking, the antioxidants can reduce the intensity of my tinnitus from a 5 to a 3, and notched music helps me go from a 3 to a 2, then what might help me get from a 2 to a 1 or even 0?

Well, that's where you come in. My doctor prescribed Varenicline for me yesterday. I haven't started it yet because I'm getting over a slight cold, and I want to read up on it first. Being cautious about pharmaceuticals (I only take a blood pressure med and a blood thinner), I'm curious about any side effects you might have experienced. Are you taking it permanently?

Wish me luck! Tinnitus is highly individualized, and Varenicline may not help me at all, but it just might. Hope springs eternal.

MrChips

Varenicline
I also take ALA, but it's hard to tell whether it's a placebo effect or if there's a slight improvement.

There are some animal studies on varenicline suggesting it might be beneficial. Varenicline is commonly used to help people quit smoking.

If you're looking for evidence, you might want to read the NeuroMed thread. While some studies show efficacy in certain patients, it remains a controversial topic.

I also take ALA, but . . .

If you're looking for evidence, you might want to read the NeuroMed thread. While some studies show efficacy in certain patients, it remains a controversial topic.
Well, I started taking ALA after it was recommended by a doctor following foot surgery. It helped my foot heal and definitely helps with neuropathy, so I have every reason to believe it is a powerful vasodilator.

Regarding studies on Varenicline, thank you, but perhaps you missed the link that @From9to<1 posted on page 1 of this thread.

Desensitizing nicotinic agents normalize tinnitus-related inhibitory dysfunction in the auditory cortex and ameliorate behavioral evidence of tinnitus

Well, I started taking ALA after it was recommended by a doctor following foot surgery. It helped my foot heal and definitely helps with neuropathy, so I have every reason to believe it is a powerful vasodilator.

Regarding studies on Varenicline, thank you, but perhaps you missed the link that @From9to<1 posted on page 1 of this thread.
I saw that, or I might have even posted it myself. I haven't seen you contribute to the Research News threads. Maybe you should consider doing so.

I'd like to point out that this research is based solely on animal models, so the findings might not necessarily translate to humans. However, it could still be worth exploring. The study seems to suggest that it diverts attention away from tinnitus.

It's also worth noting that some of the authors have patents and have declared conflicts of interest.

Hello, and thank you! Your original and subsequent posts have inspired me. Your descriptions of yourself and your symptoms mirror my own, except for your bout with deafness in one ear as a child and the fact that I am 20 years older. Tinnitus struck me almost exactly one year ago, and I am convinced it was caused by ototoxic medications, though that's almost irrelevant now since I am no longer taking them.

In an effort to get better, I first had my hearing tested, which showed a slight reduction in one ear but nothing significant. The audiologist wanted to put me into sound therapy for my tinnitus, but I had read too many criticisms of that approach here and was determined not to be one of those people running around with hearing aids emitting exotic noises for years. So, like you, I sought an alternative medicine-friendly doctor and read everything I could find.

There are anecdotal "cures" that may be true for some individuals—like those who claim daily ginseng, Acai berry, or Horse Chestnut solved their problems. However, I've tried to focus on studies with some scientific basis. I haven't yet tried any neuro-modulation approaches, though those are on my radar. But two studies, in particular, have caught my attention.

The first study is a European study published by MDPI of Switzerland, titled "The Effect of Antioxidant Supplementation in Patients with Tinnitus and Normal Hearing or Hearing Loss." You may have come across it; it's likely posted on this website somewhere. The study found that antioxidant supplementation with vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) taken over three months could significantly reduce the loudness and intensity of tinnitus. Does it cure my tinnitus? No. But does it help? Yes, definitely.

I found I could replicate the formula from the study by taking a specific "natural food-sourced" multivitamin, a B-Complex vitamin (I actually calculated all the dosages), along with Alpha Lipoic Acid (twice a day) and Grape Seed Extract. Additionally, I was already taking supplements touted for tinnitus, such as Taurine, and a formula of Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) containing Quercetin and Resveratrol, spaced out during the day. At bedtime, I take a regimen that helped me conquer insomnia a year ago, which includes GABA, L-Theanine, Magnesium L-Threonate, Valerian Root, and Zinc (see "Master Your Sleep" by Huberman on YouTube).

My tinnitus is so quiet and calm most mornings that I often wonder whether sleep itself is the cause or if some of these supplements, particularly GABA, are contributing. I don't know for sure, but I've become a morning person! I am taking a lot of pills, but they are all natural supplements, mostly vasodilating or anti-inflammatory, and I am bombarding my system with antioxidants. My doctor's response? "Not a bad idea."

The second study you might be familiar with is the Notched Music approach, titled "Music-induced cortical plasticity and lateral inhibition in the human auditory cortex as foundations for tonal tinnitus treatment." The concept is explained in simple terms on the AudioNotch.com website. I have created 113 separate pieces of notched music, mostly classical, and I listen to them while working. It's easy. Does it help? It's too soon to tell. But if, in addition to habituation, coping, and masking, the antioxidants can reduce the intensity of my tinnitus from a 5 to a 3, and notched music helps me go from a 3 to a 2, then what might help me get from a 2 to a 1 or even 0?

Well, that's where you come in. My doctor prescribed Varenicline for me yesterday. I haven't started it yet because I'm getting over a slight cold, and I want to read up on it first. Being cautious about pharmaceuticals (I only take a blood pressure med and a blood thinner), I'm curious about any side effects you might have experienced. Are you taking it permanently?

Wish me luck! Tinnitus is highly individualized, and Varenicline may not help me at all, but it just might. Hope springs eternal.

MrChips
Would you mind sharing the name of the supplement that has the combination of Nicotiamide Riboside (NR) containing Quercetin and Resveratrol? I appreciate reading your post - helpful information!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now