After 2 Intratympanic Ear Injections Ears Keep Popping — GP Said Cloudy Eardrum?

Mark Foster

Author
May 1, 2019
Tinnitus Since
Feb 2019
Cause of Tinnitus
Noise exposure (a loud concert)
Hello.

A bit more than a month ago I had 2 intratympanic injections of corticosteroids to hopefully improve my noise induced tinnitus, that started 3 months before that.

Since the first injection, my ears have been popping when I swallow (I would describe it more like touching a plastic bag than popping). I didn't worry about it at first and I thought it was the hole in my ear causing it, and gradually became quieter, but after 1+ month it is still there, so I decided to go to a GP, as that's the only thing I can do without having to wait for days. The GP said my tympanic membrane is cloudy and I have a mucous buildup inside my ear, and gave me some decongestants and oils to breath with warm vapor.

I do not trust GPs as from the multiple visits I had, they always got something wrong about my ears.
I asked her if I might have an infection and she was very sure that I didn't.

Has anyone been in the same situation? I'm worried it's something more serious, but i have no way of verifying.

Update: after breathing warm vapours with some decongestant oil in it, my hearing and tinnitus both hugely improved. The ear crackling has also improved, but not as much. I don't think I can do much more, hopefully it will resolve with time.

@Mark Foster did the intratympanic injection help your noise-induced tinnitus? I am 5 weeks out of an acoustic trauma and getting desperate to try something.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now