• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Amitriptyline Making Hyperacusis Really Bad

I did have the same feeling in my cheeks and my forehead like yourself, I also felt sharp pain at times then just a severe ache burning pain like you described. I also felt like somebody was pulling my scalp all the time which gave me severe headaches.

I understand your reluctance to have an MRI but if you decide to go ahead with it please make sure you wear double protection. Wear ear plugs and ear muffs, make sure the technician gives you a panic button in your hand that you can press if needed. If the noise is uncomfortable you can press this and stop the procedure immediately.
Can you really wear ear muffs for a brain/head MRI? I expect that's the kind of MRI @Orions Pain's doctor has in mind. I think I read that they put some kind of device over your head, to keep it completely still, and that makes it impossible to wear muffs.

I ask because I sometimes wonder i I should ask for one as well. Because of all my visual issues. But I would never consider it unless I can wear both muffs and ear plugs.

Can you really wear ear muffs for a brain/head MRI? I expect that's the kind of MRI @Orions Pain's doctor has in mind. I think I read that they put some kind of device over your head, to keep it completely still, and that makes it impossible to wear muffs.

I ask because I sometimes wonder i I should ask for one as well. Because of all my visual issues. But I would never consider it unless I can wear both muffs and ear plugs.
Yes hearing protection has to be worn even for a brain MRI... You can wear both ear plugs and ear muffs for this procedure.

This was my concern as well. My doc ordered a brain MRI and I've watched videos and there doesn't seem to be much space for muffs. I want one because of my vision issues, burning in my face and because I have pulsatile tinnitus.

This was my concern as well. My doc ordered a brain MRI and I've watched videos and there doesn't seem to be much space for muffs. I want one because of my vision issues, burning in my face and because I have pulsatile tinnitus.
I can guarantee you that both ear plugs and ear muffs can be worn for a Brain MRI...
Ring ahead with your concerns before you book in to have this procedure done. Tell the staff your concerns about your hearing, I know some people have even used their own ear plugs for this procedure. A brain MRI can take 45 minutes, so please make sure they give you the panic button just in case you start to feel uncomfortable at anytime.

Their are different types of MRI machines used for this procedure, some are slightly bigger than others called wide bore MRI, these are a bit larger, even though the size difference is not that much if you are claustrophobic it may make a difference.

Hey so I saw David's post when it first got put up and immediately called my doctor. I started seeing an ENT for my hyperacusis (I call him Dill Hold Darley, the guy is a prick to say the least, I fired him after this) and four months ago he diagnosed me with migraines and started me on amitriptyline. My hyperacusis started to get a lot worse, but I was also going through a lot of other stuff like the stress of senior year being ruined by COVID-19, a loved pet dying, struggling to keep a very strict and odd migraine diet, fighting depression, and I just thought it was bad timing that it was getting worse. Honestly I just feel dumb for not putting two and two together.
However, I'm almost completely weaned off and I'm almost back to pre-Dill Hole Darley levels of H. I can at least talk again. Thank goodness! Having to whisper to hard of hearing family members freaking sucked. It was getting so bad we thought I wasn't going to be able to move out to go to college, but that I'd have to move out to get away from my loud as hell family. Quite the dilemma.

And the amitriptyline didn't even work that well for my migraines anyways, Topiramate is working much better though it makes carbonation taste like battery acid and I'm never hungry.
I'm so happy to be doing better.

That and I literally at like 3 rolls of sushi tonight now that I'm off stupid Darley's migraine diet. Oh it was so good!

That's unusual. Most people find Amitriptyline helps their hyperacusis, not makes it worse. With me, the improvements started after the first night of taking it. It also improved my general mood.

However there can be a lot of side-effects from this drug. In my case it was breathing difficulties, which mean I can't take it for more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Many people have found they tolerate Nortriptyline better instead.

Hey so I saw David's post when it first got put up and immediately called my doctor. I started seeing an ENT for my hyperacusis (I call him Dill Hold Darley, the guy is a prick to say the least, I fired him after this) and four months ago he diagnosed me with migraines and started me on amitriptyline. My hyperacusis started to get a lot worse, but I was also going through a lot of other stuff like the stress of senior year being ruined by COVID-19, a loved pet dying, struggling to keep a very strict and odd migraine diet, fighting depression, and I just thought it was bad timing that it was getting worse. Honestly I just feel dumb for not putting two and two together.
However, I'm almost completely weaned off and I'm almost back to pre-Dill Hole Darley levels of H. I can at least talk again. Thank goodness! Having to whisper to hard of hearing family members freaking sucked. It was getting so bad we thought I wasn't going to be able to move out to go to college, but that I'd have to move out to get away from my loud as hell family. Quite the dilemma.

And the amitriptyline didn't even work that well for my migraines anyways, Topiramate is working much better though it makes carbonation taste like battery acid and I'm never hungry.
I'm so happy to be doing better.

That and I literally at like 3 rolls of sushi tonight now that I'm off stupid Darley's migraine diet. Oh it was so good!
Has the Topiramate affected your hyperacusis at all?

Has the Topiramate affected your hyperacusis at all?
Sorry, for the late response, I was having homicidal thoughts about my neighbor's lawn mower so we booked it up to the mountains before I could do something I wouldn't regret. (BTW, sugar in the gas tank is a sure way to murder the blasted thing;))

Not that I know of no, but who freaking knows man, I mean I'm freaking crashing and burning and getting worse by the day so not a clue.

I was taking Topiramate at the same time that they started taking me off of the amitriptyline, so even if it is also harshly affecting me I don't think I would be able to tell since I was taking them both at the same time.

But, I am doing much better than I was when I was on the devil's drug, so I'm assuming the Topiramate isn't doing the same kind of damage.

Sorry I can't really draw any real conclusions for you...
But the Topiramate is doing wonders for my migraines so far

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now