Any Chance Omega-3 Pills Are Making My Tinnitus More Persistent?

Mathew Gould

Author
Benefactor
Jul 8, 2017
Tinnitus Since
6/2017
Cause of Tinnitus
Neck/Jaw misalignment
I used to have louder annoying tinnitus 55% of the time and very low tinnitus that didn't annoy me 45% in the last 6 months (I keep track).

For the last almost 3 weeks I've been taking Omega-3 pills in a higher dosage. In the last 2 weeks my tinnitus has been annoying probably 90% of the time.

Is this a coincidence?

I used to have louder annoying tinnitus 55% of the time and very low tinnitus that didn't annoy me 45% in the last 6 months (I keep track).

For the last almost 3 weeks I've been taking Omega-3 pills in a higher dosage. In the last 2 weeks my tinnitus has been annoying probably 90% of the time.

Is this a coincidence?

What's the brand? Omega 3's have an anti-inflammatory effect on the body, I take a cold pressed, high quality, potent form everyday with no problems.

Also is it possible for Omega-3s to make tinnitus worse?? The tinnitus is in the middle of my brain 90% of the time, when the tinnitus was low it was in the left side of my brain, but it's not anymore. @Greg Sacramento

Just wanted to check it out on this site, make sure there's nothing crazy in them.

I personally use them just because I don't eat seafood as much as I'd like, and as anti-inflammatory for my autoimmune condition. I don't really notice a difference either way regarding tinnitus levels.

Hope everything calms down for you, maybe you're under a lot of stress?

Just wanted to check it out on this site, make sure there's nothing crazy in them.

I personally use them just because I don't eat seafood as much as I'd like, and as anti-inflammatory for my autoimmune condition. I don't really notice a difference either way regarding tinnitus levels.

Hope everything calms down for you, maybe you're under a lot of stress?

I stopped taking the omega 3, as it gave me more days of louder tinnitus. I'm not sure at all it did this, but it's highly unlikely it helped it... How long does it take to get out of my system??

Off the omega 3 for almost 48 hours now and I woke up today with very low tinnitus. So there was a good chance the omega 3 was making my loud tinnitus more persistent.

I had the similar impression when taking Omega 3 so I stopped taking it.
My loud tinnitus is back after a one day break. 36 hours before the one day break I had a .4lb farmed raised salmon filet. Just like on new years I had crab legs... Gonna try eating these filets a lot and see what it does.

I stopped taking the omega 3, as it gave me more days of louder tinnitus. I'm not sure at all it did this, but it's highly unlikely it helped it... How long does it take to get out of my system??

The half life of DHA is ~46 hours, EPA being ~37 hours, although I'm not sure how a beneficial fat is causing an increase, I'm thinking it's just a coincidence.

The half life of DHA is ~46 hours, EPA being ~37 hours, although I'm not sure how a beneficial fat is causing an increase, I'm thinking it's just a coincidence.

So I read that omega 3 supplements take 2-3 months before you see the benefits, I was on about 20 days... How long would it take to see the benefits of eating farm raised salmon filets pertaining to tinnitus??

Is this a coincidence?

Besides the tinnitus increase, did you get any benefits from taking the higher dose of fish oil that you didn't with the lower dose?

I only took them for 3 weeks so I don't know.
I found that I can get quite a benefit using a small amount of EPA/DHA Omega 3 fatty acids. After about 4 to 5 days of taking around 300 mg of Omega 3 I noticed a difference. This is actually higher than I wanted to take. According to some calculations I made a while back (long story), I thought 165mg EPA + 82mg DHA (247mg) should be plenty. If fish oil starts spiking my tinnitus, I think I will try lowering it.

Another thing you may want to try is taking the dose at different times such as morning, noon, afternoon, or night. I remember distinctly years ago taking it in the afternoon and it spiking it immediately. I think it was around 550mg OMEGA 3 (Not just 550mg Fish oil).

I found that I can get quite a benefit using a small amount of EPA/DHA Omega 3 fatty acids. After about 4 to 5 days of taking around 300 mg of Omega 3 I noticed a difference. This is actually higher than I wanted to take. According to some calculations I made a while back (long story), I thought 165mg EPA + 82mg DHA (247mg) should be plenty. If fish oil starts spiking my tinnitus, I think I will try lowering it.

Another thing you may want to try is taking the dose at different times such as morning, noon, afternoon, or night. I remember distinctly years ago taking it in the afternoon and it spiking it immediately. I think it was around 550mg OMEGA 3 (Not just 550mg Fish oil).
When you say benefit do you mean to your tinnitus?

When you say benefit do you mean to your tinnitus?
It seemed to have a benefit to my mood if I was feeling depressed. However, I may be more sensitive to some supplements than the average person. However, I also remember when I took it at regular doses for three weeks it started to affect me negatively. I actually found out I have dysautonomia so maybe that is why. My experience probably isn't the normal experience.

I took Omega-3 with a 500 mg dose daily for over a year, and felt that it helped my tinnitus quite a bit. When I finally stopped it, as my tinnitus was tons better, the tinnitus did go up for about two weeks, and then settled back down where it has stayed. Clearly, YMMV.

I took Omega-3 with a 500 mg dose daily for over a year, and felt that it helped my tinnitus quite a bit. When I finally stopped it, as my tinnitus was tons better, the tinnitus did go up for about two weeks, and then settled back down where it has stayed. Clearly, YMMV.
I read this morning in a British journal, that high dose Omegas were not as effective as low dose in reducing seizures (sorry don't have link). The publication noted that low dose fish oil reduced blood pressure whereas high dose fish oil increased blood pressure.

I have read that fish oil may have Potassium channel modulation effects, so might be worth considering.

Can I ask if your tinnitus is head noise?

I read this morning in a British journal, that high dose Omegas were not as effective as low dose in reducing seizures (sorry don't have link). The publication noted that low dose fish oil reduced blood pressure whereas high dose fish oil increased blood pressure.

I have read that fish oil may have Potassium channel modulation effects, so might be worth considering.

Can I ask if your tinnitus is head noise?
Is the 500 mg a high dose or low dose according to the article? My tinnitus is noise induced, and constant noise to me.

To the members that experienced a worsening in tinnitus using Omega-3: were you on an antidepressant while trying it?

I found this:

Vitamin D and the omega-3 fatty acids control serotonin synthesis and action, part 2: relevance for ADHD, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and impulsive behavior

So I wonder, if your tinnitus is antidepressant induced, is there a chance that the Omega-3 spikes your Serotonin which could be a cause of tinnitus? Just wondering, I don't understand the repercussions implied by this paper.

To the members that experienced a worsening in tinnitus using Omega-3: were you on an antidepressant while trying it?

I found this:

Vitamin D and the omega-3 fatty acids control serotonin synthesis and action, part 2: relevance for ADHD, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and impulsive behavior

So I wonder, if your tinnitus is antidepressant induced, is there a chance that the Omega-3 spikes your Serotonin which could be a cause of tinnitus? Just wondering, I don't understand the repercussions implied by this paper.
I don't know but probably stay away from Agmatine also.

Agmatine enhances antidepressant potency of MK-801 and conventional antidepressants in mice

Just might have interactions with what you are taking.

I found this:

I'm on Mirtazapine and take regularly Omega 3s from different brands (currently Solgar).

I haven't noticed any change on my tinnitus as far as I'm aware.

I don't know but probably stay away from Agmatine also.

Agmatine enhances antidepressant potency of MK-801 and conventional antidepressants in mice

Just might have interactions with what you are taking.
I was stubborn and reckless I guess. I thought that I could give it a shot wondering that maybe it would be like doubling my Fluvoxamine dose at most, also, it was the effects of the Serotonin and not Serotonin per se.

I only used because sensory overload from benzo tolerance/withdrawal is tough. I used 500 mg yesterday and 250 mg the day before and today I woke up with a horrible tinnitus spike.

I hope God have mercy. May the tinnitus go back to its baseline level. I feel so low today and I feel so stupid.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now