Anyone Else Have Ultra-High Frequency Tinnitus?

The most prominent part of my tinnitus is in that upper range. It cuts through pretty much everything because of how high it is.

The best tip I can give you is to live your life and pretend it doesn't exist. Don't ignore it because that requires effort and attention. Do nothing. It will drive you mad but you just have to not react to it. Let it be there and go about your day.

To help this along, try to keep your mind occupied and don't allow yourself to have opportunities to sit monitoring it. This could be by starting a new hobby that requires deep concentration, or by being active and hands-on with something.

I started playing more chess, and the more challenging the games got, the more my mind would wander and get lost in the tactics. I used to do this when I had problems with my chest as well - long story.

With that said, it mainly takes time and usually lots of it if it's pretty severe like mine. You cannot simply will it to happen, and I suppose if you constantly try to make it happen, it probably won't. It's a complicated condition.

Whatever you do, do not make it the centre of your life.
How much chance is there still habituating to it some 20 months after worsening? It's still very tough going these days...

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you're habituated pretty well, and it doesn't make a difference in your day-to-day life. If only I could get to that point.

Could it be the volume? I feel like mine's really bad. Hear it everywhere. When I think about it, I can even hear it in the shower it seems. It just makes me feel habituation to this monster is impossible.

How much chance is there still habituating to it some 20 months after worsening? It's still very tough going these days...

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you're habituated pretty well, and it doesn't make a difference in your day-to-day life. If only I could get to that point.

Could it be the volume? I feel like mine's really bad. Hear it everywhere. When I think about it, I can even hear it in the shower it seems. It just makes me feel habituation to this monster is impossible.

It was over 5 years ago when mine became severe. Before that, I lived with a milder form of it for about 15 years, so I've had it in one form or another for over 20 years now.

To be honest, 20 months is not a long time in the grand scheme of things. I'd still consider that to be in the acute stage. Someone sent me a private message not long ago and it was from a person who was pretty active on here who never thought he'd get over it, but he has. He was struggling quite badly but he finally got to a place that he thought was never going to happen.

I can't quote exactly what he said because it was sent privately, but it's really nice to hear such stories. In fact, it makes my day. We all know what a horror show this condition can be so I love to hear genuine success stories.

All I can say is to give it more time and try not to read about it, at all. Do not feed it in any way shape or form.

It was over 5 years ago when mine became severe. Before that, I lived with a milder form of it for about 15 years, so I've had it in one form or another for over 20 years now.

To be honest, 20 months is not a long time in the grand scheme of things. I'd still consider that to be in the acute stage. Someone sent me a private message not long ago and it was from a person who was pretty active on here who never thought he'd get over it, but he has. He was struggling quite badly but he finally got to a place that he thought was never going to happen.

I can't quote exactly what he said because it was sent privately, but it's really nice to hear such stories. In fact, it makes my day. We all know what a horror show this condition can be so I love to hear genuine success stories.

All I can say is to give it more time and try not to read about it, at all. Do not feed it in any way shape or form.
Thanks Ed.

I should probably point out that I had a milder form too for a decade or so. I know what it is to be habituated and it would be all that I could ask for. I just can't imagine it happening right now.

I agree success stories can lift someone's mood, but after reading I'm often concluding that the person who successfully habituated had some milder form of tinnitus. Not like mine. I'd so love to be wrong on this one and experience some fading or habituation all the same. Now is just plain misery.

Out of curiosity, has anyone with ultra high frequency tinnitus tried the Valsalva maneuver? If so, how does it affect your tinnitus?

In my case, the Valsalva helps with my lower frequencies of tinnitus (i.e. it makes them quieter), but it seems to make my highest frequency even worse for as much as several days afterward. I'm curious if others experience the same, or something different, or no effect at all?

Note I'm not asking anyone to try the Valsalva if you haven't already, in case you see any ill effect from it. I'm more asking folks who've already tried this, and have some experience with it.

Hi @Paul10 these are hearing aids with noise, no hearing function, just noise. They are given by the NHS in the UK under the supervision of an audiologist, so they're not headphones, can only be set to a certain volume etc.
I have such a "hearing aid" / white noise generator and it helped a lot with the low frequency noise but agitated the high frequency one. Maybe you can go and check out myNoise.net, there you can experiment a little and see whether your noise is maskable.

I don't know what ultra high means, but my tinnitus is fairly high around 9100 Hz.

I like a fan or other background noise in general and I sleep using Beltone Tinnitus Calmer with ocean, wind, fire and crickets sounds. Low volume, only a few clicks up from mute on my phone.

I try to embrace the ringing, tell myself it's the sound of silence and try not to associate it with unpleasant thoughts or feelings. I hear my tinnitus clearly when I go to bed, but I also hear the other noises. I really like the sound of crickets and am looking forward to warmer weather when I can sit outside after work and listen to them. It has been a rough year for me with my tinnitus worsening.

Hang in there and find what works for you.

Before mine got worse, I had high frequency tinnitus, so high it was like being pinched behind your skull.

That went away over time on its own over 2 months.

I think I've joined the UHF crowd... I had a high frequency pure tone that increased in pitch last Friday. My original HF tone used to fade in and out of my perception but this new UHF tone just cuts thru all of my other tones and I can hear it all the time. It's causing me a good amount of anxiety and nausea and I'm worried I won't be able to cope with it.

Has the extremely high-pitched tinnitus improved for anyone here? Is anyone still active on this thread? I'm six months out from an acoustic trauma that occurred back in April. Initially, the tinnitus was extremely loud, but it has since faded to a hiss or whine. I don't notice it when I'm outside here in South Texas due to the natural sounds, but I do hear it at work, where there aren't any high-pitched noises like crickets or cicadas that match its frequency. My tinnitus tends to overlay certain low frequencies, although sounds like running water can completely mask it.

I have unilateral tinnitus at around 16,000 Hz. I had my hearing tested across a range from 0 to 20,000 Hz, and thankfully, I have perfect hearing with no loss, just this extremely high-pitched tinnitus. I'm only six months in and hoping it will continue to improve. I still experience both good and bad days, and I protect my ears around loud noises. I'm just holding onto hope that the reactivity will lessen over time.

For context, my acoustic trauma was caused by firing 13 rounds from a 9mm back in April. Thanks, everyone.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now