Anyone Recovered Here? Like No Longer Have Tinnitus? Question!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      im sure most likely if you no longer have T you wouldn't be on here but I am curious about something so if you or someone you have heard about or know of could answer:

When it went away how long did it take for you to be able to be in silence or go to sleep in silence?

I have times and moments that I think it's gone and then I want to go jump in bed and doze off but I can't! It's almost like I can't without the background noise. Then the T does come back.

2. aniketpatil
      Balanced

aniketpatil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      People who have recovered most probably are not here. One thing i would like to say is that people who have recovered from T were not bothered by T at all , i believe that's why it went for them because they haven't given shit about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I do not think people recover in the sense that they no longer have tinnitus. However, I know many people who have tinnitus, LOUD tinnitus, and never pay it any thought.

4. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I think for most people who "recover" that sticking around this site would cause too much anxiety over the T returning. It's Pavlovian in a way; this aversion to that which we have reason to fear because we all know how destructive it is to our lives. So, it only stands to reason that most people who "get back to good" turn their cyber focus onto something else.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      And how do you know that it is LOUD? Because they told you so?

6. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I mean, yeah. When he says he can hear it over top of his car with his built-up motor and exhaust or a punk band in a living room, it has to be loud.

• Like Like x 1
    7. aniketpatil
      Balanced

aniketpatil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can hear it over my bike if I have helmet on

8. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I can sometimes hear it over the music when I play. I of course am wearing earplugs but sometimes during quiet sections that "EEEEEEEEE" sneaks in. Most of the time I am too concentrated to focus too much on it.

But speaking of bikes... I miss riding mine. I would love to just ride my bike all day but I have to worry about finals!

9. aniketpatil
      Balanced

aniketpatil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Most crazy thing about my T.
      I went to movie few weeks back. It was total silence before movie. I couldn't able to heart my T in that silence . Boom when the movie started intensity was varying with the sound of movie. I had earplugs on though.

10. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have had those strange moments. I hate when I do not notice my tinnitus, start thinking about how I do not hear it, then BAM! All I hear is my head noise. uhg.

11. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      I can sit alone in silence all day long, and barely notice it, even though there are mild crickets and low wind in my ear. And if Im focused on playing a silent game or movie I dont hear it at all. I can walk around all day and it is gone completely, unless I plug my ear. Sleep varies, sometimes quiet. Other times a whistle. But if I was to be around music or tv sounds all day I would spike all the time. And running in cars wouldn't help me much either.

12. aniketpatil
      Balanced

aniketpatil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same behaviour I experience

13. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      Hiya,

I would like to correct what DudeMannDude has said above, as it is not accurate and could cause unnecessary anxiety to people. Plenty of people do recover from tinnitus (I'm talking recovery, not habituation). They just don't tend to hang around on this forum...

I have recovered from tinnitus in the sense that it is barely audible (including in a quiet room) most of the time. This is including when I am actively looking out for the tinnitus. My recovery isn't just habituation - the actual volume of the tinnitus went down substantially to the point where most of the time, I don't have any sounds at all. I can put my fingers in my ears and the only sound I hear is the sound of my fingers rubbing against my ears.

However - if I feel stressed and start trying to listen out for the tinnitus, after a few times of "checking" it will come back (especially if I am anxious over a period of time). And it will come back in full swing (i.e. it's loud enough and annoying enough that I can hear it quite prominently in most situations). And it will hang around...

For me personally, if I do yoga, mindfulness meditation, swimming, remove stimulants and adopt a positive mindset, it really helps with the tinnitus volume, to the point where it backs right off. Conversely, if I actively listen out for it (and keep that up) it triggers it...

The mind is a powerful thing...everyone's brain has neural activity going on...it's probably best not to teach your ears to hear it by looking for the tinnitus! Pretty well everyone can hear their own tinnitus when placed in a totally quiet room (they've done studies on this - something like 95% of people hear tinnitus in this situation)- but if you're a sensitive person by nature and you teach your brain to hear the sound of its own neural activity...well...you can guess what happens next.

For those who are striving towards habituation - as tempting as it is, constantly monitoring tinnitus won't help with that...so try to get out of the habit of monitoring!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      Maybe not exactly what you asked for, but I got Tinnitus in early December 2015.

It's still there, it's a lot quieter than it was at the start but it hasn't gone away completely. The difference is that I don't care about it any more, not for one minute or one second of any day, ever. I barely notice it, but I definitely notice it when I'm trying to sleep, although even then I really don't care that it's there.

I'm at work now, I just listened out for it and can hear it a tiny bit.

15. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      I've read 4 doctors online say it almost always goes away for most ppl. One said, well over 98% of the people that come into his office with tinnitus, is completely healed within the year. Not because of anything he did. Another says if your T is barely there you shouldn't even worry about it at all.

16. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Hey Telis did you see the message I wrote to you?

17. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      A punk band in the living room and his T screams over it. I have now officially heard it all here at TT. Lol

At least this place keeps me laughing!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. Astro
      Alone

Astro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In their defense... If their t came from a bunch of live music it could quit possibly be that bad.. Then again I like to have some faith that people will keep it real on a forum that is basically here for support purposes

19. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Chronic, tinnitus recovery percentage......zero.

Sensorineural hearing loss recovery, after 2 weeks........zero.

Chance of a tinnitus cure within 10 years........zero.

Chance of a hearing loss cure within 15 years.........zero.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. aniketpatil
      Balanced

aniketpatil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I believe your T is from deep diving

21. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I was talking from my experience and observations of others. That is fantastic that you got your tinnitus to quiet down!

22. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      Annoyingly my tinnitus has piped up again since I've been posting on this forum the last couple of days, grrr. Hopefully it should pipe down soon...

23. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      Heating pad behind the ear on the bone helps

24. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I have T for more than 4 years it is more or less the same at times it seemed
      to have gotten worst. It is LOUD . I want to tell the new sufferers that don't fight your
      T you will not win eventually you will reach a point where you will not care how loud
      it is or what is doing? It will take time but you will get there. It will not be so important
      as you are making it now.

• Agree Agree x 2