• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Are There Any Success Stories for Pain Hyperacusis / Noxacusis?

I believe I'm a success story. I'm 4.5 years in with tinnitus and at one time significant hyperacusis due a bevy of setbacks. At one point in time I was in fear of having to stop cease employment. Typing lightly on a keyboard hurt. Shutting doors lightly caused searing/fire pain. Aircraft flying above my home whilst I was in bed with covers over my head hurt and engaged my TTTS. Not good. A week ago I played my electric guitar between 70-82 dB (seated directly in front of the amp) without hearing protection and 93 dB with 10 dB earplugs in for 10 minutes. At the same time my tinnitus is the lowest it's been for the longest duration since onset. At my worst my tinnitus was a 1o on the rating scales, today I consider it a 1-2... ambient hiss. So insanely grateful. I know this sounds cliche, but if I can recover, anyone can. My situation was noise indued, but I have to add the fact that my overall spine health was terrible due to abuse over the years.

What helped:
1. Never talking an OTC... totally get those who do.
2. Not plugging when possible... learning my boundaries.

When noticeable improvement began:
1. Physical therapy on overall spine... terrible forward head posture.
2. Smoking cigars... I know, but I'm telling you it helped me relax (never smoke prior).
3. Stiff drink upon possible setback (never really consumed prior).
4. Job change... much less stress.
5. Not hibernating after setback. Exposed myself to noise the next day (after 3 years in).
6. "Learning" muscles in head and neck; actively concentrating on relaxing them... very hard to do.

Could it just be time, possibly, I do know the second list above accelerated progress? At present I never plug up unless playing guitar or knowing dB will be about 85. I had terrible setbacks. I found what works for me, thus mileage my vary.
@StubbyJ, I also have noxacusis and significant forward head posture. I have come to believe that the two are related.

What worked for you to improve your posture?

I am working on it but it's slow going.

Thanks,
George

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now