Audiology — What NOT to Do?

@dpdx Can you explain me more about DPOAE test. What does that test shows?

It shows if the outer hair cells are functioning. In my case I have damaged some outer hair cells in the left ear. The Speech in noise tests shows if you have hidden hearing loss (Damage to inner hair cells), which I obviously do now after the ear tests, in both ears that is. In 3 years they are going to have a device just like DPOAE that will look at the inner hair cells. Thus we will be able to know the extent of damage we have caused.

TESTS TO AVOID:
  • ECOG
  • Microsuction
  • CVEMP/OVEMP
  • Caloric Test
  • Acoustic Reflex
  • ABR
None of these.. Just an audiogram and the bone conductance test. Were not too loud to bother me. I did get a reflex test in the past though, it didn't do anything to me.

Im about to have some tests. I know Acoustic reflex threshold is to loud so i won't let them abuse my ears with that but what do you guys think aboit DPOAE ? Is is dangerously loud?

What about LDL? Should i also skip this one? I guess so!

Hello everyone,

Been taking a bit of a break from the forum and trying to "distance" myself from thinking T all the time - sometimes with success, more often not... Anyway, next week I have an appointment with an audiologist and I am a bit nervous since I remember reading here that A) hearing tests made someone's T worse or even B) someone got T from such test. So I want to be prepared.

What I want to ask from you guys is:
  • Which tests are essential to take? I already got a basic hearing test done back in September, when my worsened T started. Got no change in hearing compared to my old records...
  • More importantly: which tests should I NOT take?

My T is VERY reactive and I think my ears are still extremely sensitive. Let me give you some examples... My last - more or less permanent - spike came from going to the movies with -30dB earplugs on. I also get spikes that last days just by going to a friend's place and people talking loud etc. normal noises. I am thinking to perhaps to forbid them to blast anything louder than 70 dB in my ears... I have read that at least the "speech recognition test" with white noise that becomes louder & louder is bad. Also that there is some "hearing sensitivity" test in which they try loud sounds.

But yes, would help a lot if you guys could give tips!
That white noise test sounds like Chinese water torture. I'm glad I didn't get that done at my test.

The reflex test - Timpanometry? - gave me extra ear "fullness" which eased over the next few days but I would choose to avoid this test in future.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now