Autifony Therapeutics and Boehringer Ingelheim

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Michael Larsen, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      https://autifony.com/

Boehringer Ingelheim and Autifony Therapeutics Limited (“Autifony”) today announced that they have signed an agreement about certain aspects of Autifony’s voltage gated potassium channel modulator platform. Boehringer Ingelheim now has an exclusive option to purchase Autifony’s Kv3.1/3.2 positive modulator platform.

Both Autifony and Boehringer Ingelheim have a strong interest to explore the Kv3.1/3.2 mechanism for other indications, including hearing disorders

• Like Like x 3
    2. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I thought they failed in their tinnitus programme so why would they buy this

3. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      It's for schizophrenia and other CNS disorders.

• Informative Informative x 3
    4. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Well... a recent (december 2017) researchpaper still reported positive effects of kv3.1 modulation with aut63 (failed in trails) on fast spiking neurons in the auditory pathway (read: tinnitus). The abstract of the paper is accessible on pubmed:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29235497/

The difference between the failed trail on humans and this research was the focus on direct cellular interaction (lab trail) and direct injection of the compound (aut63) in mice brains.

Probably the scientist behind this compound still believe in success via another route for administration (injection instead of pills). The partnership with Boehringer Ingelheim could be related with this new insight.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hm, so maybe a combination of KV3.1 and 3.2 could be the answer. Also, I still believe the medication has the potential to treat tinnitus, even through injections. I believe Autifony used a KV3.1 potassium channel and from my reading, both KV3.1 and 3.2 have importance in hyperexcitability in neurons. I'm more excited for KCNQ (KV7) modulators though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1