• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Autifony Therapeutics Phase II Study for AUT00063, for the Treatment of Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

so u guys are saying Aut00063 is not gonna work with everyone? so most of the people who are waiting for aut00063 is gonna be disapointed if it does not work its gonan suck if this pilld oes not work for me cause then we gotta wait another 1 or 2 years for the next drug and that prob wont work on half the people either this waiting is just stupid the other day i acually had a rope and it was tied to the door and i was so close to just saying fuck im gonna hang myself i was so close to just killing myself cause i really dont wanna go any further with this stupid noise it ruins your life so why even keep going if aut00063 does nto work for me then its prob the end for me they need to get there shit together if they want to stop all these suicides from killing there self cause of this tormented fucking noise.

really? is a psychiatrist gonna make my tinnitus go away? a psychiatrist will not help me at all the only thing that will help me is a damn pill that makes the T go lower and hardly noticeable or a damn cure they need to get something out fast cause its just not me there is hundreds of suicide from tinnitus

Some people are hanging their hopes on this drug being the cure and while they are doing this they are probably not doing what they need to do in terms of healing themselves. IMO the chances of this drug curing tinnitus are probably zero. Maybe for some it might reduce the symptoms a little but then again so do some of the anti depressants and anti psychotics and word has it that you build up a tolerance to certain drugs and you need to keep upping the dose until you no longer can. Those type of drugs might be an intervention at best but in the end you need to habituate as has all those before you. Habituation is the closest thing to a cure as everybody who has reached this stage will testify to. You know it's not too bad when you get there and most will no longer give a rats about their tinnitus except for maybe on the odd occasion.

As for suicide well the fact is that it is no greater for tinnitus people than for everybody else but some here and elsewhere might try to tell you otherwise but they should be ignored.

You mentioned 2 or 3 years for the next drug or whatever! but the evidence is that you will be habituated before then and probably won't care and probably won't be reading these forums. I've read in the past that Mr TRT UK Jonathon Hazell refers to these forums as phobic training grounds and in the past I thought what a load of bollocks this man is a dead set douche but you only have to read some of the rubbish that is posted on these types of boards to realize he does have a valid point. You need to separate the valid from the invalid.

Here's a fact for you. Many have gone through the distorted thoughts process that you are going through now. Almost everybody will reach some point where their tinnitus doesn't control their life and doesn't interfere with their life. Almost everybody will get to the point where they were before they got tinnitus. Most will get their over a period of time and without treatment and without wasting their money on some scam or over priced sound therapy such as Neuromonics. It's not the tinnitus noise itself that is the problem it's the thinking process that is the problem.

The best thing you can do for yourself is use sound as a distraction or masker. Music is the best medium but maybe you might like white noise, it doesn't matter. Don't sit around feeling sorry for yourself get out and do whatever you did before you got tinnitus. Don't waste time catastrophizing about your situation because it solves nothing and only makes everything seem worse. Don't read negative posts or stories on the internet. Set yourself a plan as to how you are going to heal yourself and don't be diverted from that plan by anybody else. Odds are that you will be well on your way within 3 months and you will become one of the success stories that you might have read about.

mag pie I'd love for you to walk in my shoes. I recently gave up a band /musical entertainment company which I had to do because it was making my t and anxiety seriously worse. I did CBT with Dr Hubbard in NYC and regardless I found my concerns were not "unrealistic" thinking . I just couldn't take the thought of making my future worse. I know I am sad that I can't do what I love but I do enjoy other things and will transition to another field. But please don't tell me to do what I did before T when it's not possible.

You mentioned 2 or 3 years for the next drug or whatever! but the evidence is that you will be habituated before then and probably won't care and probably won't be reading these forums.
Habituation doesn't happen with everybody, its not a guarantee, and if it doesn't then what?
Even with those who do TRT, 15% fail to habituate - that's a lot of people left to suffer indefinitely. Some habituate partially and that's still unacceptable.
I totally and utterly disagree with your post.
As for suicide well the fact is that it is no greater for tinnitus people than for everybody else but some here and elsewhere might try to tell you otherwise but they should be ignored.
Ignored? oh that's great. Yes I wonder if Craig's suicide was counted in your statistics.
Ok so the rate of tinnitus suicide isn't greater than the rate for say depression suicides, or cancer suicices, but how does that make it better? We already had one suicide and 2 attempted ones in the last month, that is more than just "ideation".

I don't agree with a lot of what @dan says but after every thing I have read about autifony I am quite confident we are going in the right direction with research.

mag pie I'd love for you to walk in my shoes. I recently gave up a band /musical entertainment company which I had to do because it was making my t and anxiety seriously worse. I did CBT with Dr Hubbard in NYC and regardless I found my concerns were not "unrealistic" thinking . I just couldn't take the thought of making my future worse. I know I am sad that I can't do what I love but I do enjoy other things and will transition to another field. But please don't tell me to do what I did before T when it's not possible.

I already walked in your shoes SoulStation. My T is caused by Meniere's disease and the symptoms were vertigo 24/7, hyperacusis, loud invasive tinnitus 24/7, nystagimus, hearing loss, attacks of dizziness that dropped me to the ground many times a day, depression. I lost my job, my self confidence, my spirit and there wasn't much else I could loose other than my life. I've been to that dark place and I crawled out of it inch by inch. Maybe you misunderstood what I wrote, I'm not judging anybody I just know because of my own experience the way out of the maze. People can read my post and consider my advice or they can disregard it but if they think about what I said in a positive way then I achieved something.

I'm sorry about the result of your CBT with Dr Hubbard and am reluctant to comment because I know what the aims of CBT are and if you are still catastrophizing then perhaps another physician might be worth considering.

cheers

Disagree.

What I said and quite accurate in your case:

Some people are hanging their hopes on this drug being the cure and while they are doing this they are probably not doing what they need to do in terms of healing themselves.

Disagree.

What I said and quite accurate in your case:

Some people are hanging their hopes on this drug being the cure and while they are doing this they are probably not doing what they need to do in terms of healing themselves.
I am doing what I need to heal and I'm not counting on autifony. Yes it will be nice if it helps but I don't think that it will help everyone and don't think it's going to be a "cure". So I agree with you on many points and yes many people here are setting them selves up for disappointment if they're going to wait the years and years that it will take for a successful treatment to comeout . I love this site but there is misinformation as there is great information. You just have to be able to decide how to filter it. But you don't know me ...read my last thread "feeling devastated need some support".
Ps I agree most will be habituated in years when the drug comes out but that doesn't mean we won't try it.

IMO the chances of this drug curing tinnitus are probably zero. Maybe for some it might reduce the symptoms a little but then again so do some of the anti depressants and anti psychotics and word has it that you build up a tolerance to certain drugs and you need to keep upping the dose until you no longer can. Those type of drugs might be an intervention at best but in the end you need to habituate as has all those before you.

Could you elaborate on these three opinions with reference to any scientific studies or data?

I think aut63 is a big hope not because i am optimistic but because of real facts:
Works on mice, it does, no wonder how they know, thats their problem and they-professionals assure that
Its a drug from same family than retigabine, potassium channel activator, but even much better, specific for tinnitus.
some hours ago, mtp, the hero that first tested this drug, came back to the forum after several weeks away. He informed us that he taped off for some weeks ago and still have Zero tinnitus, doesnt come back, that is a real cure. The most of other testers couldnt finish the treatment because of supply problems. Time will tell us the general chances for retigabine cure. And the following studies about aut63 will tell that so. Once we know the results of phase 2 on aut our hope could be bigger, see life throught a brighter glasses and will help us for sure to cope with t better for the next few years. Of course putting a hope on Aut63 doesnt mean stop doing other things that will help us to cope with t or be healthier, is not like when I see the phase ii results I gonna get drunk and go party to celebrate it (or maybe yes))
Anyways, the discussion about how big should be our hope about aut is gonna end when they show the official results and thats gonna happen within a year if i am not wrong, hopefully some of our member can sign in and give some feedback earlier in time

@Magpie I agree with most of what you said about dealing with the thought processes. But I dont agree with your conclusion with regards to potassium gateway drugs. They do seem to be on the right track there, with some very promising results. I am very hopeful that potassium gateway modulating drugs will let me resume life as I knew it before tinnitus. But I am also slowly habituating to a new life. A life without some things that id love to get back.

Hey Liz, Lisa.

I'm not nervous at all, in fact I'm looking forward to it providing I get selected.
I would love to be one of the people who comes in here and gives everyone the good news.
I'll even through a party if it's successfull.

Here's to a quite life.xxx

They're probably finding it hard to find participants with their exact criteria. I think only people who suffer from artillery explosions lose that much hearing in such a short time and chances are only one in ten of them actually get permanent tinnitus.

They were suppose to nearly finish this 4 week trial but they still don't even have the participants!

Rather disappointing

Agreed. Disappointing. The information from Autifony has - all along - been rather "limited" (both the "official" website info + the e-mail correspondence). However, as far as I can tell, it is the treatment (and not the trial itself) which is four weeks long. I have seen this discrepancy mentioned a number of times within this thread. I am not sure which version is correct (for the reason(s) stated above), but my feeling is that the trial is not limited to just four weeks.

I am not planning to even attempt to participate in the trial at this point, but I will - in the interest of curiosity - try to dig out some information in the coming week (and post it on this board).

Agreed. Disappointing. The information from Autifony has - all along - been rather "limited" (both the "official" website info + the e-mail correspondence). However, as far as I can tell, it is the treatment (and not the trial itself) which is four weeks long. I have seen this discrepancy mentioned a number of times within this thread. I am not sure which version is correct (for the reason(s) stated above), but my feeling is that the trial is not limited to just four weeks.

I am not planning to even attempt to participate in the trial at this point, but I will - in the interest of curiosity - try to dig out some information in the coming week (and post it on this board).
That will be great....hope you are able to dig up some solid info. Thanks

locoyeti wrote:
Could you elaborate on these three opinions with reference to any scientific studies or data?

Of course not I said it was only my opinion and people can agree or disagree but I see the latter is what almost everybody here thinks. I base my opinion on reading studies from the ATA and PubMed over a period of many years and there is not a single drug or treatment that has been proven to cure tinnitus. I have also read many times Dr Nagler say he felt there never would be a cure as such. Definition of cure meaning tinnitus is eliminated.

I'm not trying to sink anybodies boat here , what I'm saying is don't pin your hopes on something that may or may not work and considering tinnitus has about 20 etiologies I'd say the chance of it working is akin to hitting a bulls eye from about 50 ft with a pop gun. Much better to work on a plan or strategy for healing yourself and a good starting point is reading Success Stories.

cheers

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now