• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Autifony Therapeutics Phase II Study for AUT00063, for the Treatment of Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

I am sorry, but i can't believe (understand) this theory, which base on "all problems are in brain". I had acoustic trauma. I don't have hearing loss(my ent said me, another young people can envy my good hearing). Autifony says, that phantom sounds are from brain,because brain expected signal.
I don't understand.
I have multi tonal tinnitus in both ears (i hate it), no hearing loss and hyperacusis(i wear earplugs all time). Hyperacusis is problem in ears, i think.. I don't believe this problem is in brain..
Please, give me hope and say me, that i am wrong... I dont belive, taht cure is near..
First of all, you know that just because you don't understand something doesn't make it not work. I'm sure you don't understand how this forum software works (much less anything about fundamental computer science which it is built upon), but it is complex and it does work.

To understand how this science works, you need to think about this issue more abstractly. The end result is with tinnitus is you, the perceiving human, hears a noise that you know was not there at some point in your life (or does not feel 'expected'). There is a network of cells and neurons involved before it ever gets to you perceiving it. One of those important systems, that Autifony has identified (and Retigabine has shown matters) are the KvX potassium channels, which are part of the signal routing from the ear to the brain.

Here is what it comes down to.

1) If the cochlea *is* working right, and the potassium channels are handling signals correctly, *no tinnitus*.
2) If the cochlea *isn't* working right, and the potassium channels are handling signals correctly, *no tinnitus*.
3) If the cochlea *is* working right, and the potassium channels *aren't* handling signals correctly, *no tinnitus*. No errant signal = nothing to screw up for the incorrectly working potassium channel.
4) If the cochlea *isn't* working right and is sending errant signals, and the potassium channels *aren't* handling signals correctly (which for most of us here is likely the case), *then lucky you, you get tinnitus*.

The potassium channel drugs work to keep your neural pathways essentially fully souped up and energized to work correctly.

3) If the cochlea *is* working right, and the potassium channels *aren't* handling signals correctly, *no tinnitus*. No errant signal = nothing to screw up for the incorrectly working potassium channel.
Good post, but I disagree on this point. You could have perfect cochlear hair cells and still have hyperactive neurons and tinnitus. Thus the whole, "my hearing is fine" but I still have tinnitus! Cochlear damage may be significant only in the initial injury, it may have nothing to do with tinnitus being perpetuated. So you can have a problem in the ear and the brain and have tinnitus or have the problem only in the brain and have tinnitus.

Also, it's not necessarily the potassium channels' fault that anything is going wrong. The neurons are hyperactive and it may be that this is because the potassium channels are not opening as regularly as they should. It may be for some other reason. BUT, so far as treatment is concerned it doesn't matter. If you open potassium channels, you calm hyperactive cells. It doesn't matter why they are hyperactive. That being said, the conditions around the potassium channels opening and closing may well be the problem. My point is, you don't have to get a diagnosis that says so, the treatment should still, theoretically, work.

That was a perfect explanation and thats how i see it too.
First of all, you know that just because you don't understand something doesn't make it not work. I'm sure you don't understand how this forum software works (much less anything about fundamental computer science which it is built upon), but it is complex and it does work.

To understand how this science works, you need to think about this issue more abstractly. The end result is with tinnitus is you, the perceiving human, hears a noise that you know was not there at some point in your life (or does not feel 'expected'). There is a network of cells and neurons involved before it ever gets to you perceiving it. One of those important systems, that Autifony has identified (and Retigabine has shown matters) are the KvX potassium channels, which are part of the signal routing from the ear to the brain.

1) If the cochlea *is* working right, and the potassium channels are handling signals correctly, *no tinnitus*.
2) If the cochlea *isn't* working right, and the potassium channels are handling signals correctly, *no tinnitus*.
4) If the cochlea *isn't* working right and is sending errant signals, and the potassium channels *aren't* handling signals correctly (which for most of us here is likely the case), *then lucky you, you get tinnitus*.

The potassium channel drugs work to keep your neural pathways essentially fully souped up and energized to work correctly.

Good post, but I disagree on this point. You could have perfect cochlear hair cells and still have hyperactive neurons and tinnitus. Thus the whole, "my hearing is fine" but I still have tinnitus! Cochlear damage may be significant only in the initial injury, it may have nothing to do with tinnitus being perpetuated. So you can have a problem in the ear and the brain and have tinnitus or have the problem only in the brain and have tinnitus.

Also, it's not necessarily the potassium channels' fault that anything is going wrong. The neurons are hyperactive and it may be that this is because the potassium channels are not opening as regularly as they should. It may be for some other reason. BUT, so far as treatment is concerned it doesn't matter. If you open potassium channels, you calm hyperactive cells. It doesn't matter why they are hyperactive. That being said, the conditions around the potassium channels opening and closing may well be the problem. My point is, you don't have to get a diagnosis that says so, the treatment should still, theoretically, work.
Totally agree. I think champ is a little wrong

I believe tinnitus is in the brain.. Meg scans already showed that parts where T is it lights up like a christmas tree.. Its activity thrown out of whack caused by over firing neurons caused by any cause of T.. In your case acoustic trauma and mine too.. I have zero hearing loss too, but was also exposed to 130 db for 40 mins and so its obvious i have T cause of that ( mild) and we may have perfect hearing but somethings still thrown out of whack we may lost some frequencies which you wont notice but your brain will and thats why its making T sound. When you get T, your kv3 channels in the brain are reduced causing neurons to overact.. So thats why they came up with aut00063 to regulate the channels slowin down the neurons which will decrease T ( hopefully). It deff has me more understanding and i dont think of it any other way until proven it doesnt work :)

Hi Grace, really interested in brain imaging for tinnitus through fMRI etc. Trying to google it. Do you remember which articles/where you read about imaging of this hyperactivity?
I would imagine if they could see this, it would be in the central auditory cortex, but cognitive connections with tinnitus may highlight other areas of the brain also.
Spoke to one tinnitus researcher, and he seems to think that we cannot image tinnitus yet, but he is working towards trying to do this.
It's all so confusing.
Thanks, Grace.

My dear.. Maybe i understand how this forum works better then you (i work developer for web software bank). Computer science is exact.. Question is: how much is exact your statement?

I had big hope for am101.. That was 1 theory.. I take n-acytel cystein.. My T went down.. (nac is blocker of glutamate).. I so belive in am101.. And now is there new theory.. I am not sceintist(just in computer science:)) I will thinking about it. Thanks for explain.. Have nice day...

Are you managing to concentrate (now that you have t) at work being a software developer for a bank?
Yes.. It is problem.. But in my office is noisy.. People speak, music play,computers and keyboards are too quite noisy... I was afraid, if i will be able work.. But i need have some sound on background..

My dear.. Maybe i understand how this forum works better then you (i work developer for web software bank). Computer science is exact.. Question is: how much is exact your statement?

I had big hope for am101.. That was 1 theory.. I take n-acytel cystein.. My T went down.. (nac is blocker of glutamate).. I so belive in am101.. And now is there new theory.. I am not sceintist(just in computer science:)) I will thinking about it. Thanks for explain.. Have nice day...
Hah! Guess my example doesn't work then since you're already a smarty pants :)

No problem for the explain.

I had big hope for am101.. That was 1 theory.. I take n-acytel cystein.. My T went down.. (nac is blocker of glutamate).. I so belive in am101.. And now is there new theory

I'm no expert but I think Benryu explained earlier that the theory behind AM-101 is similar to this theory behind AUT00063. That is that AM-101 will stop the excess release of glutamate. Doing this in time will prevent it from messing up the potassium channels and become chronic T. That's why AM-101 probably only work in the very acute stages. AUT00063 acts on the potassium channels directly and is therefore directed at chronic T. At least that's my layman understanding of it.

I'm no expert but I think Benryu explained earlier that the theory behind AM-101 is similar to this theory behind AUT00063. That is that AM-101 will stop the excess release of glutamate. Doing this in time will prevent it from messing up the potassium channels and become chronic T. That's why AM-101 probably only work in the very acute stages. AUT00063 acts on the potassium channels directly and is therefore directed at chronic T. At least that's my layman understanding of it.
Yes - benyru's explanation is still the best explanation I have heard so far of how these drugs aim to combat t. I will be pleasantly surprised if am101 post good phase 3 results, showing efficacy post 3 months. I will be even more pleasantly surprised if Autifony say "we have the cure". The words we are all waiting to hear so we can get our lives back with a pill.

Hi all,

I was not doing any updates lately as I had a major setback lately.

The hyperacusis left me. I don't know if this is related but left a major new T and lots of hearing loss (in one day, just while sitting in silence, I lost 80db in 4kHz). It is like having your cochlea getting eaten by a ghost. And when that phase was over I was left with dizziness too.

I believe an ototoxic drug is residing in my ear for 6 months, and inner ear (unlike other parts of the body) cannot really dispose material inside - an ototoxic drug, gentamicin, remains in the inner ear for a year at least once it is there, and it is the remaining free radicals that cause the damage.

Anyway, I have searched for the trials of that medicine, sent e-mails, never received an answer. Anyone knows how to get yourself recruited into this?

Cheers!

@Grace - what exactly was your noise trauma of 130db for 40 minutes ?thx
Drums with a guitar plugged into a tube amp and it was blasted.. My family tested how loud it was and my bro said it was bout 130.. I experienced pain after bout 15 mins of playin then stopped for 5 no ringing nd i didnt know anythin bout T then so then we continued to play and left with loud ringin for 2 days and hypercausis then after that it all basically disapeared and i have like a lil mild hiss when i plug my ears. This was a year ago. Im done playing acoustic drums, and protect now thankgod.

Howitzer 105mm artillery shell peaks at 164db.
130db is Military jet aircraft take-off from aircraft carrier with afterburner at 50 ft (130 dB)
You know rock concerts can go as high as 130, thats what it basically was except in a small room. Im not gonna argue that 130 is loud and i should be way more fucked then i am but i trust my family when they tested it and thats what they said. Ive never played that loud before but we got a new amp and they litterly cranked it so loud i could almost barely hear myself play drums. Live and learn i guess.http://www.decibelcar.com/menugeneric/87.html

Just got an email that more info will be posted on Autifony's site re trial locations etc within the next 6 weeks. Moving slowly. But at least moving :)

Hopefully I can get it...I know they said they want some hearing loss, but I think they said they may let people in even without hearing loss....That or I'll have to pretend I have hearing loss lol.

I'm hopeful a few of us will be accepted to the trial.

When they start enrolling, I'll send out another newsletter to our members reminding that we'd appreciate any updates from those in the trial.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now