• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Autifony Therapeutics Phase II Study for AUT00063, for the Treatment of Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

I found out that someone starts the trial tomorrow. I asked the trial co-ordinator if they would let me know if the person's t went down over the next month. He said what he can do is ask the person on the trial, if they would not mind speaking to me. If he/she consents, I might get trialee inside info that i could share, if given their consent.

Re the hearing loss criteria - they are submitting an amendment in Feb to either:
1. Take it out completely or
2. Modify it

At this point no other additional info. Will keep you posted.

It was myself that was at the screening today to see if I was suitable for the trial, but failed miserably on the hearing test, to much of a hearing loss in one ear, maybe if they amend criteria in Feb, so no insider info for now.

@mcgregor

Thanks ever so for posting.

Do you have any idea what the hearing loss test is exactly? Up to how much loss db?
Are they holding trials in scotland then as I thought they were only in england?
Are they also testing for how loud is the T as well? and if so how loud are they allowing?
Were you able to find any of these things out during your screeening?
Also I see that you have T (sadly) since October 13.....so you have suffered for ages!
However just to clarify, I thought that they were taking people primarily from 6 months to 12 months and only up to 18 months if they didnt get enough trialees within the 6 to 18 months......
thanks ever so......

@mcgregor

Thanks ever so for posting.

Do you have any idea what the hearing loss test is exactly? Up to how much loss db?
Are they holding trials in scotland then as I thought they were only in england?
Are they also testing for how loud is the T as well? and if so how loud are they allowing?
Were you able to find any of these things out during your screeening?
Also I see that you have T (sadly) since October 13.....so you have suffered for ages!
However just to clarify, I thought that they were taking people primarily from 6 months to 12 months and only up to 18 months if they didnt get enough trialees within the 6 to 18 months......
thanks ever so......

Its nothing fancy just a normal hearing test in a sound room approx. 15 min by audiologist
if you have more than 60db loss you would not qualify ( possible relaxation of this type hearing loss by feb )
No trials in Scotland, only England, trials open to UK residents I travelled to England to participate.
No they are not testing the loudness of T
Its 6 months to 18 months for eligibility, no priority for 6 to 12 months as far as I know.
There are three pages of questions in relation to how you are coping with T.
The trials is expected to finish July 15 2014 for all participating sites in the UK

The BTA link mentions a forthcoming Phase IIa clinical trial of AUT00063 as a treatment for age-related hearing loss which is due to take place in the US. I have not seen this mentioned previously and I guess it will be welcome news for any US-based forum members who are hoping to try AUT00063.

@PhilB

The aurifony trial in the States was cancelled a while back.
Only happening in the UK now and not age related.
May take place in the states in the future after autifony finish in the UK.

@dan

????

Its nothing fancy just a normal hearing test in a sound room approx. 15 min by audiologist
if you have more than 60db loss you would not qualify ( possible relaxation of this type hearing loss by feb )
No trials in Scotland, only England, trials open to UK residents I travelled to England to participate.
No they are not testing the loudness of T
Its 6 months to 18 months for eligibility, no priority for 6 to 12 months as far as I know.
There are three pages of questions in relation to how you are coping with T.
The trials is expected to finish July 15 2014 for all participating sites in the UK
Hey @mcgregor. Sorry to hear you did not make it. What is the minimum loss that they will accept? When i chatted to the guys in Newcastle they said you had to have hearing loss between 20 and 60db at 250Hz intervals from 0 to 4KHz. It looks like you had one point over 60db and possibly why you got DQ'd. I'm just wondering if every point has to be in that range. Previous posts have eluded to averages. Can you shed any more light on the hearing loss criteria that they told you when you were there?

Nottingham said they are still waiting for their screen dialog to be approved. So essentially you could pass the telephonic screening (because nobody can assess your hearing loss over the phone) and then fail the actual test when one does the audio test. But it might just be worth trying an audio test. Every audio that I have had fluctuates. Glimmer of hope.

Let's hope they change the hearing loss criteria in Feb and that someone can report success.

Hey @mcgregor. Sorry to hear you did not make it. What is the minimum loss that they will accept? When i chatted to the guys in Newcastle they said you had to have hearing loss between 20 and 60db at 250Hz intervals from 0 to 4KHz. It looks like you had one point over 60db and possibly why you got DQ'd. I'm just wondering if every point has to be in that range. Previous posts have eluded to averages. Can you shed any more light on the hearing loss criteria that they told you when you were there?

Nottingham said they are still waiting for their screen dialog to be approved. So essentially you could pass the telephonic screening (because nobody can assess your hearing loss over the phone) and then fail the actual test when one does the audio test. But it might just be worth trying an audio test. Every audio that I have had fluctuates. Glimmer o.f hope.

Let's hope they change the hearing loss criteria in Feb and that someone can report success.
Yes wishful thinking on my part for eligibility into the trials as my hearing is pretty bad at over 80 db. loss, that's on one side , I never really discussed minimum range as I am at the opposite end of the spectrum guess its 20db as stated. No doubt more info will filter through as the weeks/months tick by

I agree : ) When it's broken it should just stay broken, hehe. Weird feature of the brain/ear to keep the sounds firing instead of just losing the freq.

But this is also why I believe there will be a cure or treatment, because there is a reason for this, and we might be able to "alter the firing".

That is because we are likely wired for hair cell regeneration.

I found out that someone starts the trial tomorrow. I asked the trial co-ordinator if they would let me know if the person's t went down over the next month. He said what he can do is ask the person on the trial, if they would not mind speaking to me. If he/she consents, I might get trialee inside info that i could share, if given their consent.

Re the hearing loss criteria - they are submitting an amendment in Feb to either:
1. Take it out completely or
2. Modify it

At this point no other additional info. Will keep you posted.

will there be any insight to get any info about how effective is medicine?

@Christian78
will there be any insight to get any info about how effective is medicine?

Hi how are you?
I suspect only when someone either drops out or finishes the trial....unless they report during the trial how they are getting on.
Otherwise no.....

To all here:
only by taking dangerous drugs can we potentially help ourselves.
Or by taking non side effect tibetan or korean herbal medicines which seem to be having a positive effect on some people....and it is well to remember that many modern western drugs originated from plants and herbs which in the past pre modern medicine used often successfully for treating ailments. So please dont be too quick to discredit ''puddle water''

No

This "proof-of-concept" study will explore the potential of Autifony's lead Kv3 modulator, AUT00063, to reduce the symptoms of tinnitus in people who have subjective tinnitus.

they say:
"Autifony is developing a novel drug, AUT00063, that may help to treat people with some types of tinnitus, in particular tinnitus associated with hearing loss following noise exposure or ageing."

http://www.autifony.com/autifony-hearing-tinnitus.asp

Nottingham said they are still waiting for their screen dialog to be approved. So essentially you could pass the telephonic screening (because nobody can assess your hearing loss over the phone) and then fail the actual test when one does the audio test. But it might just be worth trying an audio test. Every audio that I have had fluctuates. Glimmer of hope.

I'm thinking they would average it out along the spectrum of those frequencies, so may not matter if you go above 60 or below 20 at any one frquency point.

Personally I went to my audiogram, added up the threshold numbers and divided to get an average, which for me is 25db. Not sure if that's exactly their method, but it seemed a common-sense approach.

The field of ion channel modulators is opening up rapidly. There's at least one other drug with a similar mechanism of action that should be entering the clinical testing cycle soon.

Since you've relatively new to tinnitus, @hoper, the best thing to do is be patient. You'll likely notice some improvement just with the passage of time. Try not to let it obsess you. Concentrate on optimizing your health, eating right, and making sensible choices about your healthcare.

The field of ion channel modulators is opening up rapidly. There's at least one other drug with a similar mechanism of action that should be entering the clinical testing cycle soon.

Are you talking about that info from some scientist ATEOS posted, or AM-102?

The BTA link mentions a forthcoming Phase IIa clinical trial of AUT00063 as a treatment for age-related hearing loss which is due to take place in the US. I have not seen this mentioned previously and I guess it will be welcome news for any US-based forum members who are hoping to try AUT00063.

Do you have the link for this? Autifony had information about this upcoming trial on their website, but it was removed last September.

For those interested in Autifony's funding, please see this from CrunchBase. They do appear well enough funded to do another clinical trials. And they just received more funds for the tinnitus trial.

Here's an excerpt from the tinnitusworld link above. The article is dated 5 November 14

Autifony Therapeutics Limited, who are pioneering the development of drug treatments for hearing disorders has announced that it has been awarded funding of £2.2 million towards a Phase IIa clinical trial in tinnitus patients with its compound AUT00063 by the UK's innovation agency, the Technology Strategy Board. Autifony sponsor the clinical trial which will be conducted by Professor Deb Hall at Nottingham.​

If the Kv3 potassium channel theory is correct, so it is supposed to work for T without hearing loss too? Then why does the company emphasize Aut00063 is for T with hearing loss?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now