• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

B12 Shots Increasing Tinnitus

Zwraven

Author
Aug 3, 2015
Columbus, OH
Tinnitus Since
02/2013
Cause of Tinnitus
Viral Auditory Nerve Damage
I just had my first B12 shot today, and it has tripled the volume of my unilateral tinnitus (left ear). So far, I haven't experienced any hyperacusis pain.

Has anyone else experienced this when starting B12 injections? Did it improve as the treatment continued? I read somewhere that B12 can make certain symptoms worse before it starts helping, possibly due to nerve repair.

Please help! Thank you.

I have been having 1mg B12 injections once a week for 9 weeks now. I have noticed no difference in my T or H one way or another. How many have they got you down for? Have you tried doing the sublingual tablets as an alternative? Solgar make 1mg tablets, if you try one of those you can work out if it's the vitimin or just the injection that's spiking your T.

Hope you get better soon.

I have not, I am down for 1 a week for a month, then every 2 weeks then once a month Yada Yada. I'm just gonna keep taking it, if it doesn't get better and becomes unbearably worse, I'll try the subs, those are expensive though. My T and H (along with facial pain) are a result of nerve damage from shingles, and I know B12 repairs nerves or what not. I'm taking this because my level was 209 and I was having numbness and tingling. Grin and bear it I suppose.

I know this is two years hence but just saw this and had same problem. Also started having burning in mouth tongue and throat after b12 injection plus multi-b capsules. Stopped and although I still have it it is waaay better than when taking B12. Heard that Nicotinimide might be better.

I know this is two years hence but just saw this and had same problem. Also started having burning in mouth tongue and throat after b12 injection plus multi-b capsules. Stopped and although I still have it it is waaay better than when taking B12. Heard that Nicotinimide might be better.

B vitamins can ramp up the stress/anxiety/jitters in some people. I use to take b-complex vitamins and it gave me jitters, so I do not touch them now.

I didn't tried the shots, I only took B12 pills for 3 or 4 months I guess. I didn't noticed any significant difference in T, and according to my blood tests, my B12 is now over the normal threshold lol.

B vitamins can ramp up the stress/anxiety/jitters in some people. I use to take b-complex vitamins and it gave me jitters, so I do not touch them now.

I'm pretty sure I've narrowed my T getting worse, down to B vitamins. I've been taking both B50 (complex) and extra B12 for other issues, and had my T spike bad. Didn't take any vitamins yesterday, and T calmed down to normal PITA (pain in the a__). That's ok, the PITA I can handle, but the spiking can almost disable me.

I probably talked about this before, but to keep moving helps me with the T as well. If I'm not actually exercising (walking etc.) then I'm doing some sort of housework, moving furniture around, anything to get my heart-rate up seems to help;)

Lipoic acid also helps with nerve repair as it is used for diabetic neuropathy (i have used it to overcome gastoparesis secondary to vagal nerve involvement from years of an ED)
If you're still around Deb, I tried the lipoic acid (Alpha Lipoic Acid, I think that's the same) but I was getting jitters bad. Now I'm not so sure it was the ALA so since I still have them, I may try again;)

I just had my first B12 Shot today and it has tripled my unilateral (left ear) Tinnitus volume, so far no Hyperacusis pain. Has anyone had this when starting B12 injections and did it get better as treatment went on? I read somewhere B12 can make certain things worse before it starts helping. This is do to it repairing nerves. Please help! Thank you.
I started taking sublingual b12 and I felt like that spiked my tinnitus.

I tried B12 shots last year. I did them every other day for two months with intramuscular injections. The needles were really long and went in almost an inch deep and I never fully got comfortable with it, each time I had to talk myself into doing it one more time.

Anyway, I got the opposite effect - my T went almost silent for a couple of days when I first started. I thought I was truly onto something but then it came back again. But never got worse. Thinking about trying it again just to see if the silence hits again.

I'm so frustrated after reading the article on the Vagus Nerve here.

It does talk about tinnitus somewhere in this lengthy article, but what got me so bumbed out was reading that Ginger (or it was the only food mentioned under "things that inhibit the vagus nerve" that evidently have something called capsaicin in them.

I've been drinking ginger (fresh grated from root) for about 2 months to supposedly help with an enlarged spleen. Now I read that it could be causing my tinnitus to spike. Anyone around that Ginger has effected your T negatively? I mean using right around 2 tbsp of grated, in hot water to make a tea? Then drinking some, 1-2 cups per day?

I'm so frustrated after reading the article on the Vagus Nerve here.

It does talk about tinnitus somewhere in this lengthy article, but what got me so bumbed out was reading that Ginger (or it was the only food mentioned under "things that inhibit the vagus nerve" that evidently have something called capsaicin in them.

I've been drinking ginger (fresh grated from root) for about 2 months to supposedly help with an enlarged spleen. Now I read that it could be causing my tinnitus to spike. Anyone around that Ginger has effected your T negatively? I mean using right around 2 tbsp of grated, in hot water to make a tea? Then drinking some, 1-2 cups per day?

that's interesting. Maybe take a few days off of the ginger and see if the tinnitus reduces?

that's interesting. Maybe take a few days off of the ginger and see if the tinnitus reduces?
Thanks Jack, yes, plan to do that starting today. Ginger is so good for inflammation, but I need to find out more about the capsaicin today too;) I'm going to get outdoors and try to focus on anything but my tinnitus today. I do think my frame of mind really triggers the spikes "sometimes" and also just concentrating too much on it;) I'll let you know how I feel this evening after no ginger tea today, Denise

Ive been getting B12 injections for years and its the only thing that makes my Tinnitus actually go down not to mention helps my anxiety and mental health.

Ive been getting B12 injections for years and its the only thing that makes my Tinnitus actually go down not to mention helps my anxiety and mental health.
How long does the effect of a shot last? Do you know how much (in mg) are injected each time? I'm wondering how much B12 I should try, I don't think I want to get ongoing shots, but I might talk to my doctor about it. Right now I have 5000 microgram chewies but not sure that is too much to take for me so thinking of trying half a tab.

I'd like to hear more about your success with the shots, thank you much, Denise

Ok, not sure but I don't think it's the ginger, I'll go one more day without though to see. My T got worse in the the night after I went to bed to read. I did eat 4 pieces of chocolate (I hear ya) little pieces of dark in the Brooksides Acai & Blueberry. Then I had my magnesium yesterday, 300 a.m. and 300 p.m. and a bath with mag. chloride flakes and Epsom Salt. My T wasn't overwhelming, but it was loud enough I had to have my "relax sounds" on all night.

Zero chocolate today, and no Epsom Salt bath tonight. And again, no ginger tea:( Geez, I'll miss all 3 but gotta figure this out. I'm going to take my mag supplements though because I was taking those for 2 months before the T started getting bad. Actually, I was doing the tea as well for that long. The B12 is the newest thing I've been using, but even that was since Nov. 13.

How long does the effect of a shot last? Do you know how much (in mg) are injected each time? I'm wondering how much B12 I should try, I don't think I want to get ongoing shots, but I might talk to my doctor about it. Right now I have 5000 microgram chewies but not sure that is too much to take for me so thinking of trying half a tab.

I'd like to hear more about your success with the shots, thank you much, Denise

I have b12 injections for other health reasons but it just coincides that it helps with my Tinnitus. I think its 5mg injection I'm honestly not sure. I have been having them on and off for ten years now since i was 21. The effect of the shot for me with my tinnitus normally works for a week but sometimes more. It honestly depends. It relaxes my muscles which I think is why my tinnitus goes down because my Jaw isnt inflammed which is why it probably lasts a little longer. I can normally tell by the end of the month that its worn off and I need a new one. It takes down my anxiety massively which i guess can make it seem like things are quieter for longer which i honestly dont mind. But like I said I take it for other health related reasons.

I have b12 injections for other health reasons but it just coincides that it helps with my Tinnitus. I think its 5mg injection I'm honestly not sure. I have been having them on and off for ten years now since i was 21. The effect of the shot for me with my tinnitus normally works for a week but sometimes more. It honestly depends. It relaxes my muscles which I think is why my tinnitus goes down because my Jaw isnt inflammed which is why it probably lasts a little longer. I can normally tell by the end of the month that its worn off and I need a new one. It takes down my anxiety massively which i guess can make it seem like things are quieter for longer which i honestly dont mind. But like I said I take it for other health related reasons.

Thank you so much Fally, and I am so glad this works for you. I did try 1/2 a tab of B12 yesterday, and I'll still ask my do when I see her, if we could try an injection. I do a lot of anti-inflammatory foods/spices too. I make hot teas made of ginger root, turmeric, etc. When you mentioned your jaw, I hope my anti-inflammatory teas will help with that too. I also think the regular dose of magnesium is helping with the anxiety, stress. Especially if I take either just a hot bath, or add epsom salt, and Magnesium Chloride flakes to it.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now