• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Back to Normal

In my experience, both time and lowering your anxiety serve as important healing factors.

I'm now 5 months in and started being able to sleep a bit better at 3 months or so. This sufficiently lowered my anxiety so I started feeling a bit better overall. I actually had several pretty good days, despite the tinnitus still being perceptible throughout the day.

Unfortunately, at around 4 months in, my 10-month-old entered some sort of screaming phase. He'll just randomly start screeching/screaming as loud and high-pitched as he can. Sigh, kids.

So currently, I'm experiencing high levels of anxiety again, because I never know when he might start screaming. It hasn't affected my sleep, though.

Wearing earplugs or headphones is one way to deal with it, but wearing them for prolonged periods of time kinda drives me crazy due to how much it amplifies my tinnitus.

Anyway, once he turns back into his normal cute self I'm sure I'll start feeling better as well. :p

Hiya

At 10-11 months, almost a year in I wasn't doing very well but I was trying to get back to some sort of normal, All I can really advise is to give it time. Try and keep busy and focus on the loves of your life :)
Thank you for the advice, Jason. I am doing my best to cope and I think I am doing well. Life does not stop for tinnitus but sometimes it's hard, especially in the evening. I also wanted to ask you about timing.

Did it really take you 2 years or even longer to recover or did you start to feel almost "normal" somewhere between 14-18 months mark?

After reading your inspiring post about recovery I also gave myself two years to get back to normal and I feel really happy that things are slowly changing for the better. I am 10.5 months in and it makes me happy to realize that maybe I am almost halfway there.

Thank you for your inspiring success story.

Thank you for the advice, Jason. I am doing my best to cope and I think I am doing well. Life does not stop for tinnitus but sometimes it's hard, especially in the evening. I also wanted to ask you about timing.

Did it really take you 2 years or even longer to recover or did you start to feel almost "normal" somewhere between 14-18 months mark?

After reading your inspiring post about recovery I also gave myself two years to get back to normal and I feel really happy that things are slowly changing for the better. I am 10.5 months in and it makes me happy to realize that maybe I am almost halfway there.

Thank you for your inspiring success story.

I am glad my story gives you some hope :)
It was a good 2 years before I could really say Tinnitus had gone for me. I know this doesn't happen for everyone, for some it resolves within 3 months and others it never resolved fully but it did go away for me and hopefully it does for you too :)

It was a good 2 years before I could really say Tinnitus had gone for me. I know this doesn't happen for everyone, for some it resolves within 3 months and others it never resolved fully but it did go away for me and hopefully it does for you too :)
You should be canonized for genuine miracles.

In my experience, both time and lowering your anxiety serve as important healing factors.

I'm now 5 months in and started being able to sleep a bit better at 3 months or so. This sufficiently lowered my anxiety so I started feeling a bit better overall. I actually had several pretty good days, despite the tinnitus still being perceptible throughout the day.

Unfortunately, at around 4 months in, my 10-month-old entered some sort of screaming phase. He'll just randomly start screeching/screaming as loud and high-pitched as he can. Sigh, kids.

So currently, I'm experiencing high levels of anxiety again, because I never know when he might start screaming. It hasn't affected my sleep, though.

Wearing earplugs or headphones is one way to deal with it, but wearing them for prolonged periods of time kinda drives me crazy due to how much it amplifies my tinnitus.

Anyway, once he turns back into his normal cute self I'm sure I'll start feeling better as well. :p
lol wait till he's around 2. My daughter is 2.5 and when she's having fun she unleashes deafening screeches.

Two years is a pretty long time but it does not seem that way after almost 11 months of tinnitus. I think time will fly. I have lots of things to do plus it became much easier recently (I mean waiting and the condition itself). Sometimes I even think that I habituated a bit.

Thanks for the answer, Jason. Take care. :beeranimation:

Hello, @Jason C

I have a little question. I am 7 months in with my hyperacusis and tinnitus. I believe that H is almost gone (I still have noise sensitivity with mild pain in my ears, allover the head, neck and even back sometimes). I do not feel that everyday sounds are louder than they actually are anymore but I still have mild pain and hear my tinnitus. I want to ask is it a good sign that my tinnitus is turning more and more into a gentle hissing sound. Other different tinnitus sounds like firecrackers in the distance, the whooshing sound etc. are slowly becoming more and more quiet. I feel that soon my main sound would be similar to an old TV signal, or a gentle hiss, something like that. Is it a good sign to have such changes? Also, I've reached the phase when I usually do not hear my tinnitus outside but noisy traffic and especially motorcycles are still a problem for me so I plug my ears with professional musician's earplugs.
Hey. Your message is from June, so I hope you kept improving over the 3 months that passed. I was very happy to read your message, cause I have the same experience. My noise-induced tinnitus also evolved from a roaring wind in my head in December to a static sound in May. It has been a static since May, but gradually getting lower and I started getting day with no or little tinnitus. So in my case the the switch from a roar to a static was a positive experience.

Yes, I continue to improve. Life got much easier. I am happy to hear that other people with the same cause of tinnitus also make a great recovery.
Did you taper off the Bromazepam, and did you have any withdrawal symptoms like louder tinnitus etc? Thanks!

Did you taper off the Bromazepam, and did you have any withdrawal symptoms like louder tinnitus etc? Thanks!
Hi!

I took Bromazepam during my first four months. I did not take it every day, only when my anxiety was very intensive and I couldn't cope with it myself. I usually took half a tablet before going to sleep.

I did not had any withdrawal symptoms. I used Bromazepam very responsibly and it really helped me in the beginning. Now I'm off Bromazepam for 8 months.

Hey. Your message is from June, so I hope you kept improving over the 3 months that passed. I was very happy to read your message, cause I have the same experience. My noise-induced tinnitus also evolved from a roaring wind in my head in December to a static sound in May. It has been a static since May, but gradually getting lower and I started getting day with no or little tinnitus. So in my case the the switch from a roar to a static was a positive experience.
Hi,

Did you ever get any other sounds, like a typewriter sound?

If anyone needs a chat or some advice if I can help in any way just send a message :)
Hi,

My ringing started 2.5 months ago. I also suffered acoustic trauma from loud noise.
I hear the ringing everywhere, even in a crowded environment.

Did you hear your tinnitus everywhere in the first months?
Was it reactive tinnitus?

Its been a while since I have posted on here and thought it was time I posted my story.

29th May 2016, a date I will never forget. I was exposed to a powerful external alarm sound for maybe 10 minutes at close range 125 dB.

At the time I had no idea just what damage exposure to loud noise could do. I knew loud noise could damage hearing but I didn't know anything about decibels or how loud was too loud or how long
one could be exposed to noise before it becomes dangerous.

The next day morning I had a loud squealing, beeping, pinging noise mostly in the left ear. I assumed this would go away over time. Tried not to worry about it. One week later it was still there, 2 weeks later it was still there. One month, two months - Still there.

I went on holiday with my family mid July 2016. The plane seemed very loud. Uncomfortably loud to me yet no one else seemed bothered by the noise. (I now know this to be hyperacusis) 2 weeks on holiday I could still hear the ringing, pinging noise in my ears but still I tried to ignore it and thought it will go away, just takes time.

When I got home from holiday I started to panic. This wasn't going away. I noticed music didn't sound the same, everything sounded like it was coming from a broken speaker. I also noticed my balance had been affected, Depression set in and by November (6 months in) I was in a very dark place.

In decided to go for a hearing test at a local hearing aid centre and was told I had damaged my hearing in the 4K threshold and this was causing the tinnitus. The loss was very mild at -5db but obviously enough to cause tinnitus. I was told that after 6 months the tinnitus would be permanent and I will get used to it! (Easier said than done)

My depression was getting worse and I went to see my doctor who prescribed antidepressants which I wasn't interested in. This in my mind was physical damage and not something antidepressants were going to fix. I had never taken antidepressants anyway so I using alcohol to help take the edge off. The doctor setup an appointment with the NHS ENT which to this day has never been provided despite the doctor saying I would be an express case due to my mental state at the time.

Fast forward one year. Tinnitus still there but it was reduced. Hyperacusis had gone Music sounded better but the problems still existed. Overall I was feeling better and I had now learnt a lot about tinnitus, hyperacusis, decibels and most importantly - Hearing protection.

My favourite Band Guns n Roses were playing at Slane Castle, Ireland on the 27th May 2017, This was an outdoor concert, I now had custom musicians hearing protection and attended the concert. It was an amazing show and actually wasn't that loud as was an outside concert. I did regret attending the concert the next day as tinnitus seemed to be much louder but I also had a terrible hangover from drinking too much Brandy and Guinness at the concert.

A few days later things returned to what I now called normal. I was feeling much better and getting on with my life. Tinnitus was still there but it was much more manageable and things started to sound normal. I had accepted that this will be with me for life and as annoying as it is. Things could be worst. Much worse.

Summer 2017 - Holiday time again. I purchased Bose QC35 headphones. These have amazing noise cancelling features and I had no issues flying with these. They take the jet noise and turn it off. Awesome :)

November 2017 - 18 months later.

I noticed my hearing seemed to be much better. I had periods were I couldn't hear the tinnitus even if I was looking for it sometimes for days, then all of a sudden it would be back. Music sounded great again and I was in a much better place
Mentally. Obviously avoiding loud noise but if I wanted to go to see a show with
My family I would go and use my ear plugs.

It was February 2018 this year I had another hearing test - Normal.
No -5 dip at 4K, Tinnitus was gone, when I say gone I mean gone, no ringing, no pinging, no hissing. Gone.

As I write this message now, In bed. All I can hear is the rain on the window and the Mrs Snoring lol

So it is possible so noise induced (acoustic shock) to go away. I'm sure the damage is still there but in some way the inner ear can and does heal but takes a long time, Obviously I will always be careful around loud noise. It's something that will be with me forever now.

It takes time, it was a good 2 years before I could honestly say it was gone for me. Despite being told it would never go away, learn to live with it etc etc don't give up hope and if it doesn't go away you can get used to it. It's not easy and it's hard for other people to understand how bad it is if they have never experienced it.

This past weekend I was due to attend a show with my family. (Shrek the musical) I forgot my earplugs and made the decision to skip the show. Just not worth it for me.

If anyone needs a chat or some advice if I can help in any way just send a message :)

The help I received from the members on this forum was of great help to me when I was in a very dark place and I thank you all.

I still check in from time to time. Hearing awareness is something that needs to be improved. People just don't understand what loud noise is and how damaging it can be.

I hope this helps some people suffering. It does get better. It just takes time and lots of it.

Stay strong :)
Are you able to go to gigs, like big parties etc with you hearing now? Of course with earplugs.

Are you able to go to gigs, like big parties etc with you hearing now? Of course with earplugs.
Hiya, tbh yes I can. Obviously if the noise is really loud I'll move away from the noise but restaurants and parties are generally ok.

I find acoustic gigs to be fine but anything more than that I'll use earplugs.

Hiya, tbh yes I can. Obviously if the noise is really loud I'll move away from the noise but restaurants and parties are generally ok.

I wish I can follow up your healing story, because I can't live without gigs and my symptoms were and are really similar to yours from the beginning.

4 months in.

How long the reactivity stayed with you? Did it fade with your hyperacusis?

Did it react to all external sounds or just certain frequencies?

Three years in, and my tinnitus is still as loud as ever. My hyperacusis though has improved lowering from an 8/10 to 4/10. I've been able to attend 3 carefully-chosen concerts in the past six months with no ill effects. I wouldn't say I enjoyed them though, as it's hard to fully enjoy something when you are worrying at the same time about protecting your ears, are you making a big mistake etc.

A friend of mine had Meniere's disease with jet engine-level tinnitus that kept him awake howling with grief at his lost life through the nights. However after several years of basically healthy living and not much else, he recovered, and he's celebrated by going to see the likes of Iron Maiden, AC/DC etc. I certainly don't recommend this, but he's doing well.

A friend of mine had Meniere's disease with jet engine-level tinnitus that kept him awake howling with grief at his lost life through the nights. However after several years of basically healthy living and not much else, he recovered, and he's celebrated by going to see the likes of Iron Maiden, AC/DC etc. I certainly don't recommend this, but he's doing well.
UPDATE: I should add that my friend was left completely deaf in one ear by his illness and earlier years, and he has said that the AC/DC concert was "a mistake". So be warned!

UPDATE: I should add that my friend was left completely deaf in one ear by his illness and earlier years, and he has said that the AC/DC concert was "a mistake". So be warned!
Good one for your friend. What do you mean when you say recovered? Habituated, or tinnitus gone?

Good one for your friend. What do you mean when you say recovered? Habituated, or tinnitus gone?
Tinnitus much reduced from jet engine levels to only hearing it in a quiet room, as it was a by-product of his Meniere's disease from which he has recovered. However, he has mostly given up playing electric guitar and usually plays acoustic instead now

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now