Best Tinnitus Safe Antidepressant to Help with Sleep?

sgal

Author
Jan 24, 2014
USA
Tinnitus Since
7/2005
Cause of Tinnitus
? probably hearing loss.
Hi there,

It's been a while since I posted... believe it or not, there is a life after tinnitus.

I have a question though.

I've been on Zoloft for depression for a long time. In the past few months, my insomnia has become the worst it's ever been so my doctor is wondering if the Zoloft is the problem.

It doesn't seem to be handling my depression any more and I recently increased the dose and noticed the insomnia got worse although it was already bad.

My question is what antidepressant might help with sleep and also be safe for my hearing and not aggravate my tinnitus.

I've tried a few things before like Remeron but I couldn't tolerate it.

I could really use some help. I feel debilitated between the insomnia and depression.

Thanks so much.

Nortriptyline, Mirtazapine, Amitriptyline.
I gained a lot of weight on Nortriptyline back in the 80s. I don't know if that's common but it was quite a lot. I tried Remeron not that long ago and I couldn't tolerate the drowsiness. I tried really hard to make that one work but I was a zombie. Elavil might be a possibility. I did read that tinnitus can be a side effect of that one. I'm a hard case when it comes to anti-depressants. Thank you for your reply.

Mirtazapine blows yours socks off and gives a good night's sleep. After a while I felt like it was making me stupid however.

Hi there,

It's been a while since I posted... believe it or not, there is a life after tinnitus.

I have a question though.

I've been on Zoloft for depression for a long time. In the past few months, my insomnia has become the worst it's ever been so my doctor is wondering if the Zoloft is the problem.

It doesn't seem to be handling my depression any more and I recently increased the dose and noticed the insomnia got worse although it was already bad.

My question is what antidepressant might help with sleep and also be safe for my hearing and not aggravate my tinnitus.

I've tried a few things before like Remeron but I couldn't tolerate it.

I could really use some help. I feel debilitated between the insomnia and depression.

Thanks so much.

I'm also wondering if your Zoloft could be causing your insomnia. If so, you could ask the doctor if this could be the culprit and if so he could gradually lower your dosage.

SSRI's could be stimulating to me and made me cycle rapidly...all kinds of bad problems.

I also would advise trying something natural. Perhaps melatonin, a passion flower and valerian root combo, or lemon balm. If the problem is your SSRI, the effects of these supplements might not be as strong.

Mirtazapine blows yours socks off and gives a good night's sleep. After a while I felt like it was making me stupid however.

Tried it, I couldn't handle it, even at the smallest dose imaginable, my whole day was ruined from being a walking zombie on that stuff. I even people who can handle it.

I'm also wondering if your Zoloft could be causing your insomnia. If so, you could ask the doctor if this could be the culprit and if so he could gradually lower your dosage.

SSRI's could be stimulating to me and made me cycle rapidly...all kinds of bad problems.

I also would advise trying something natural. Perhaps melatonin, a passion flower and valerian root combo, or lemon balm. If the problem is your SSRI, the effects of these supplements might not be as strong.

The Zoloft was also not working for my depression anymore. We switched to Prozac because it was an easy switch before switching to other drug families but since it's so similar to Zoloft, I don't know it it's going to work. I've only been on it for a few days. I know sometimes, because we are all individuals when it comes to drugs, a slight change can make a difference. I'm hoping that will be the case for me with the Prozac. Melatonin didn't work for me, it made me very relaxed but I didn't fall asleep. I've tried so many natural sleep aids it's crazy. I must have a closet full. Still, I'm open to anything. I know I've tried valerian root by itself. Off hand, I'm not sure about lemon balm or passion flower. I'll have to take a look and see what I have here. Any other ideas? I guess I should make a list of everything I've tried and write down whether it helped some or not at all.

Have you considered alternative treatment like chamomile or melissa tea, melatonin and valerian?

If marijuana is legal where you live, there are plenty of people who uses indica strains to help with sleep.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now