• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Breathing & Heart Rate Moderation Pattern

Spiral

Author
Benefactor
Apr 18, 2017
Tinnitus Since
03/2017
Cause of Tinnitus
Noise Induced
I've found a way to lower the tinnitus for me. It is not permanent, it is not a cure, but it will reduce the tinnitus anytime this method is employed - usually within 10 or 15 minutes. In fact, I had a louder than average T day today that I was able to control and lower. A 6 or 7 becomes about a 2.

Start by taking a deep breath, hold for as long as you can until it becomes uncomfortable. Then, slowly breathe out the rest of the air in the lungs. Slowly fill the lungs up until it is at capacity and repeat. After about 5 minutes switch the pattern - begin filling the lungs slowly and then once full, hold the breath for about 10-15 seconds and then breathe out slowly and repeat.

If you start to feel faint, breathe normally again. Checking a heart rate monitor, the heart rate was reduced by about 7-10 BPMs and the body is much more relaxed. The static tone has been greatly reduced in both ears while the straight tone exists but is not as intrusive.

A couple of things can be added that will reduce the tinnitus even further during the session such as:
1. Earplugs
2. Quiet environment

Afterwards, earplugs can be removed and/or you can return to your normal environment. The residual inhibition will work in your favor once the input is increased and thus the gain is turned down.

This can be done anywhere: at work, at home where you have 10-15 minutes. This method can even be employed for longer to get better results. I would limit how often you do it though.

I've done this right before bed and upon waking, it was almost gone and the effect lasted almost all day.

Please note: this method is different than my previous thread as it isn't simply holding your breath, nor can it be compared to meditation since the goal is not to focus on a specific thought or action. It is not mindfulness as it is not noticing the surroundings either. It is a simple breathing pattern that I find to be effective in helping with tinnitus.

P.S. @1000 maybe this will help you, bud.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now