Can Melatonin Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ErnieMassri, Jun 23, 2023.

?

Has long-term melatonin use affected your tinnitus?

1. It improved my tinnitus, permanently

2. It improved my tinnitus, temporarily

3. It had no effect on my tinnitus

4. It worsened my tinnitus, permanently

5. It worsened my tinnitus, temporarily

6. I have not taken melatonin since the onset of tinnitus

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. ErnieMassri

ErnieMassri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2010 (spike 2020)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluoxetine, Alprazolam withdrawal, stress
      Hello everyone,

As many tinnitus sufferers, I take cautious steps in order not to exacerbate my torture. That includes the choice of foods, habits, medications, and supplements.

And like many people on Tinnitus Talk, I have other ailments besides tinnitus, which makes it more challenging. I suffer from anxiety, which means insomnia. I have resorted to Melatonin (less than 1.5 mg) as relaxation techniques are basically useless for me.

With that said, I have taken Melatonin (about 1.5 mg) for almost 6 months, I can't say it affected my tinnitus, although at the beginning it seemed it did. But now, after many months of relative calmness, I'm experiencing a severe spike (electric buzz, the worst kind), and as you can imagine, I'm trying to find culprits. Is it stress? Food? Or because I've been taking Melatonin for so many months I've developed the same situation as it happens to many people who develop tolerance to benzos (tinnitus).

So has anybody had the experience that after so many months of Melatonin use, you've gotten a severe tinnitus spike? Of course, this would be a dilemma, as going to a doctor means starting taking benzos again, which is a no no. On the other hand, not taking anything would mean no sleep, which means worsened tinnitus. This condition definitely makes everything 10 times harder.

So any input about taking Melatonin for long periods? Has it affected your tinnitus?

My other hypothesis is that the weather has been miserable. Lots of storms, changes in barometric pressure, and temperature, so I don't know what to make out of it.

Any feedback, input, thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
      Ernie

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      I took Melatonin 1.25 mg per night, sometimes more testing different dosages, for months on end. But I never noticed any effect on my tinnitus.

Also, Melatonin seems to have zero effect on my sleep. It never seemed to help at any point, and after I stopped taking it regularly, I also noticed no change in my sleep.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I believe Melatonin had a positive effect on me.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Leeroy

Leeroy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / Stress / Noise Exposure??
      I've been taking slow release (over 6 hours) 750 mcg Melatonin for nearly 2 years. Not a single problem. And my tinnitus is crazy, how-much-longer-can-I cope kinda level.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Henrik

Henrik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
      I have taken Melatonin for about a year, 0.5 mg every evening before I go to sleep. It hasn't had any effect on my tinnitus, but I feel like it helps with my sleep.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Tryn2BHopeful
      No Mood

Tryn2BHopeful Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Escitalopram/Stress/Ultra High Frequency Hearing Loss
      I tried Melatonin during the beginning of all of this. 4 mg of slow release. It didn't help my sleep or change the tinnitus... HOWEVER, I did have some crazy dreams, like the bathroom toilet trying to kill me...

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      No. Melatonin is one of the more safer supplements. Hardly anyone complains about it HERE about it worsening tinnitus and that’s saying something lol.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Michael_EDH

Michael_EDH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely SSHL
      I haven't taken Melatonin long term, but I have used it once or twice since I had my onset of tinnitus. It didn't make any change to my ringing, but it does give me annoyingly vivid dreams and made my feel groggy on top of not helping me sleep.

So I don't bother taking it now.

• Winner Winner x 1
    9. T2loud

T2loud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Menniers Disease
      Melatonin increases Serotonin and increased Serotonin can increase tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Federico7878
      Depressed

Federico7878 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones, Musician
      I take 6 mg of Melatonin for sleeping. It has no effect on my tinnitus at all.

11. Ryan Scott
      Inspired

Ryan Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I took 10 mg of Melatonin last night and got some of the best sleep I have got in a long time. But I woke up at 4 am with the worst spike ever; I almost had to get out of bed and go walk around. Now it's close to 9 am and the spike seems to have settled, and hopefully stays that way. I have been eating healthy all week and the only thing I changed was the Melatonin. Maybe it was just a coincidence, who knows, but it was rough at 4 am.

12. Tryn2BHopeful
      No Mood

Tryn2BHopeful Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Escitalopram/Stress/Ultra High Frequency Hearing Loss
      7.5 mg of Mirtazapine has been enough for me. I wouldn't take Melatonin with it. Melatonin did nothing but give me crazy dreams/nightmares.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1