Can Popping the Ears Cause New Tinnitus Tones?

nikkinikki

Author
Jun 11, 2020
Canada
Tinnitus Since
05/2020
Cause of Tinnitus
Earbuds
I pop my ears all the time, many times a day, by yawning mostly. Been doing it forever, even before I got T. It feels much like an "unsticking" feeling, and now makes my low frequency tinnitus louder for the time I have my jaw open.

Anyway, I was lying in bed (my ears always feel full in the morning), I yawned and felt a proper POP in my bad ear, like the eardrum or something physically moved in there. Immediately I got a new 2000 Hz tone in that ear. It's still there and hasn't changed at all for a week. What gives?

I've got multiple tones but I never got a new one from yawning. Sometimes they can come and go over time though, so I would try not to focus on the individual tones too much. You can try masking sounds if you need a break from it.

Somatic elements of tinnitus are really common, jaw/neck issues can influence it and I've heard of cases like yours also where popping your ears can create problems as well - not sure what the mechanism behind that might've been though. I hope it goes away eventually!

Take a mental note, or write these things done and let it be. Hopefully the sounds subside. Anxiety doesn't help. I don't know how much a doctor could help with this. I had this habit come and go throughout my life. Sometimes I would get a little pain or a fleeting sound. It usually happened during stressful times. Wish it goes well for you.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now