Can Someone Recommend Me a Good Book?

victoria9273

Author
Aug 24, 2017
Tinnitus Since
Hyperacusis since 2014
Cause of Tinnitus
Use of earbuds
My favorite is a 19th century literature. The Scarlett Letter, Wuthering heights, Kate Chopin, Henry james, Dostoyevsky, The Moomins, fictions of Ayn Rand, etc. I don't know what else..

I want to find some books that resembles the society and life and are also dynamic. Dystopian fictions are so fine! I would love to have a look at your favourite books. Thanks.

I think Gene Wolfe's "Shadow & Claw" series which starts with The Shadow of the Torturer is the best SF I've read in the last decade, possibly forever. Dystopian is pretty well deserved there.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay might be the best general fiction I've read in the last year or two, and I learned a bunch of interesting things about American society in the run-up to WWII that I didn't know.

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America, by Erik Larson.

I think Gene Wolfe's "Shadow & Claw" series which starts with The Shadow of the Torturer is the best SF I've read in the last decade, possibly forever. Dystopian is pretty well deserved there.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay might be the best general fiction I've read in the last year or two, and I learned a bunch of interesting things about American society in the run-up to WWII that I didn't know.

Wow, I have a really good feeling about your recommendation. Especially Pulitzer-winning The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. I'll definitely get those books. thank you!

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America, by Erik Larson.

I'm relieved that it's fairly obtainable here and it looks good. I'll try the book and thank you for your recommendation!

If one is able to read it can be so calming and beneficial. It broadens the mind and can improve one's vocabulary . I was unable to read for two years because of my severe tinnitus and thought my life was over. When I attempted to get back into reading it was terribly difficult. Each book I picked up I soon put it down as the tinnitus became so intense. I was looking on Amazon and read about an famous author whose work I hadn't read before. I took the chance and ordered one of his book's.

It helped change my life in a variety of ways even though it took me around 3 weeks to read the book because of my fluctuating tinnitus. The author's writing style is so captivating that I have read every book in the series. This led me to writing to him explaining about my tinnitus and how much his work got me back into reading after an absence of two years.

Michael

It looks like a simple, honest looking series. I'll check it out. :cool:
I also plan to buy the complete peanuts series which I think would be a great diversion from stresses.

Please be warned Peter James writing is seriously addictive. Once you start reading you wont be able to put the book down trust me. The series is about a detective that lives and works in Brighton which is a seaside town in the UK for those that don't know. I was so captivated reading about Brighton I wrote to Peter James after reading the 4th book in the series, and asked him, please can he suggest some nice places to live in the city of Brighton & Hove, as it's now called. Peter kindly wrote back and I moved to Brighton in 2014 and liking it quite a lot:)

@Michael Leigh, A little bit of film history for you, some of the crowd scenes in Quadraph
enia where filmed on the Brighton coastline. I used to live not too far from Brighton way back in my childhood up until my late teens/early 20's

Thanks for the information @pathworker2017 I haven't seen Quadraphienia but will look out for it. You live quite a distance from Brighton now living in Belfast. As I child I would visit Brighton for the day with my parents and 3 brothers as many people do, as London is only 50 miles away. Never thought of living here though but have always liked the sea.

Michael

I like the James Patterson Alex Cross series 23 books in this series and he 3 different detective series and many more books same way here you pick up can't put it down till it's done

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now