Can Turmeric Make TTTS Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by stacey, Apr 9, 2023.

1. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know I’m screwed since I now have TTTS along with my tinnitus and hyperacusis. The spasms are driving me nuts. I know there’s nothing to help this. But my ear feels so sore and inflamed from all the muscle contractions.

I read somewhere that Ginger can make TTTS worse since it triggers the trigeminal nerve, because of the spice. I wanted to try something natural for the inflammation just to taper the pain even by a drop.

I know Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory but, just like Ginger, can this worsen TTTS?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Well in my noxacusis journey which is partly TTTS, I’ve learned certain foods can make it worse. It acts just like any other neuralgia condition. Too much dairy or spicy food and my nerve pain is horrible. Other stuff can piss it off too. I made it worse by using saline nasal spray, it got into my middle ear and caused severe burning.

I’ve heard one person getting worse from Turmeric so it’s not impossible. It’s unlikely it causes any permanent damage though.

I would stay away from strong food or supplements, seems most people with nerve pain get set off from that sort of stuff.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow, this is awful. If there’s nothing I can take for the nerve pain, then I seriously cannot go on like this. It’s enough my tinnitus and hyperacusis are driving me up the wall, but TTTS is worse than ever. It’s acting similar to hyperacusis, spasming to any sudden sound. Man I think this is finally it for me :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      I’m sorry you’re going through it. I’ve been dealing with severe nerve pain in my left ear for 2 years now, it’s extremely hard to get relief from.

Does your nerve pain linger? The lingering is the reason why I’m so bad. CBD and low dose Naltrexone helps take the edge off. I think they are definitely worth a try.

I’m positive I damaged something in my middle ear and it’s been loose and broken for a while now. I’m sure it’s why my left ear is so weak. It’s been crappy.

5. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      @stacey, I take turmeric gummies with ginger every day. I also take tart cherry capsules at night, which are also anti-inflammatory. I'm not sure if they cause spasms, but when I was having spasms near my temples during the pandemic, I would try to calm down, watch a movie and take magnesium citrate. It helped.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, my nerve pain lingers which is what freaks me out even more. I’m thinking of trying CBD gummies. I’m just really afraid of anything making this even worse because I’m already so bad. My middle ear is definitely damaged as I also hear crackling sounds and clicks, to me it’s like broken bones, that’s the best way to describe the sound and sensation. It’s pretty scary. And I know surgery is a huge risk. So I’m basically screwed.

And my luck keeps getting worse because now my neighbors downstairs keeps blasting music with bass. So I’m just going through it right now. It’s terrifying.
      I’ve heard of tart cherry being good for sleep. I also recently just ordered magnesium citrate.

7. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Same. It feels like I have broken bones in my ears. Try CBD. It’s really safe, it helps me. Get Charlotte’s Web Extra Strong (60 mg per ml), this stuff is more expensive but it’s worth it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When you take CBD, do you put it in water? I see they also have the gummies. I’ve never taken CBD or any stimulant. But I’m at the point where I’m willing to try it if it’s safe.

9. Josh59

Josh59 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long-term noise trauma
      When you say that you hear clicks and cracks in your ear, is it constantly? Or when you swallow your saliva?
      Is your tonic tympanic tensor muscle syndrome continuous - even without sound input?

Is it stronger if you think you are more nervously tense? Tension in the jaw or neck muscles could be a factor. I wonder if this doesn't accentuate our problems in addition to our respective sound traumas.

10. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      No, it only gets set off from noise, never in silence. I’m convinced a lot of stuff in my middle ear is damaged and inflamed. And no, when I’m tense, anxious, or calm, it never changes. I thought that was interesting.
      No, I get oil tinctures and put it under my tongue.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Do they help at all, Brian?

12. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yeah, it helps a little with the pain, but nothing makes it so I can leave my room.

Lowering the pain in silence is nice.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. cjbhab
      Confused

cjbhab Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      Very interesting to find this thread regarding Turmeric and TTTS because I have recently had bad headaches and spiked tinnitus.

I thought maybe taking Turmeric in a fairly large dose could help me get out of this, but it was followed by a very bad bout of TTTS which is still going on now.

Connection? Maybe. I didn’t change anything else.

14. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I take Robaxin for another reason and it helps my TTTS a lot. My tinnitus counselor, audiologist with tinnitus, takes Turmeric --- swears by it, and claims tinnitus irritated my inflammation.