• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Can We Stop Treating Hyperacusis as a Single Disease with Universal Advice?

When you stop doing it to me I will stop.....I never started this childish behaviour you did...
Your posts on TRT are amusing because they display a complete lack of critical thinking skills and are full of contradictions. You consistently attack people when they ask you to explain yourself or accuse them of being negative.

I do NOT, unlike you, mock people when they are expressing genuine distress over their condition. Maybe you ought to try taking a leaf out of your own book on showing manners and respect.

You do not know the whole story. The person in question knows exactly what I am talking about. I visit this forum to help people and yet, there are people that come here for an entirely different purpose.
There's still a difference between rating a post as funny that you find ridiculous or heavily disagree with and rating a post as funny even though it's just about someone's personal struggles or their hopes for future research and treatments.

Your posts on TRT are amusing because they display a complete lack of critical thinking skills and are full of contradictions. You consistently attack people when they ask you to explain yourself or accuse them of being negative.

I do NOT, unlike you, mock people when they are expressing genuine distress over their condition. Maybe you ought to try taking a leaf out of your own book on showing manners and respect.

Now please note the following, you are now placed on ignore. Anymore childish behaviour and I will return in kind. Goodbye.

there are people that come here for an entirely different purpose.
You mean like get support? It's a support forum. Normal people don't enjoy spending their time on here. Look, I get that to some degree, people are taking their medical problems out on you. But you make it so easy. On the other thread, I gave you a perfect chance to thoroughly explain why you aren't a victim blamer. You couldn't do it. I've complimented you, thrown you soft balls, make it civil. And yet you still can't even answer the simplest of questions.

See how it feels to get blamed for something out of your control? It doesn't feel very good. Just like it doesn't feel good when a treatment doesn't work and you get told that your attitude is the reason why.

The only reason why all of these people are making you feel bad is because of your attitude. If you just had a positive outlook about everyone ganging up on you, maybe you wouldn't have to ignore people.

If you ignore me, I will conclude that it could have been avoided with a positive outlook. See, you aren't the only one that can play disgusting, manipulative mind games. At least I'm not doing it to someone talking about suicide every day.

And if I did find out that you were suicidal, I would apologize and reach my hand out for an alliance. Because that's what you f**king do on a support forum. Good day.

@Michael Leigh

You are making it really hard for people to like and respect you.

You cannot just laugh at a post where they are definitely stressing out about a situation. There is a difference between laughing at someone's viewpoint and laughing at their suffering.

You really show a lack of empathy to people's suffering. I expected better than this @Michael Leigh. You should never laugh at someone post about their suffering.

Apologise to @serendipity1996 now.

No wonder why people are asking to ban him.
images.jpeg

With respect @Zugzug you haven't any idea who you are dealing with. I am having the time of my life playing with you children. Carry on fill your boots as we say on this side of the pond! lol.....
"Playing with you children". Oh please it is you that acts as a child.

You have blatantly been rude and disrespectful to TRT patients who had no success with TRT and blaming their failure to negative thinking.

You also laugh at people's suffering like @serendipity1996, @Zugzug and others and showing a lack of empathy.

When @Autumnly and others have shown you countless research articles that TRT is a placebo and doesn't work for everybody, you choose to ignore these articles and stating you are right but in fact you are clearly WRONG and stubborn to even change your opinion after countless research articles we link to you.

The only reason why people are confronting you is because you can't seem to back up your argument with proper research on why you believe TRT is a valid treatment.

I am sick of your victim bashing and laughing at people's posts of suffering. I have had a enough of this crap.

@Michael Leigh

You can continue to laugh at people's posts about their suffering that are not funny at all if you want to.

Just know that if you continue with this type of behaviour of victim bashing of TRT victims and laughing at people's suffering your time here is going to end soon.

@Markku and @Hazel have been keeping an eye on you and I think you are really close to getting banned from Tinnitus Talk.

Take care and I wish you well outside Tinnitus Talk.

Lucifer.

With respect @Zugzug you haven't any idea who you are dealing with. I am having the time of my life playing with you children. Carry on fill your boots as we say on this side of the pond! lol.....
It's such a shame, as I always liked your warm personality towards new people. I thought maybe the reason you were so disrespectful to the suicidal people is because you didn't understand the issue. I guess I'm the stereotypical "It's my fault why they are talking disrespectfully, I just need to explain myself better" person. It turns out, you just can't answer basic questions about your own ideology and always position yourself as the victim.

It's really not difficult to answer my (non-hypothetical) question about how the CFS patient improved with TRT without believing in it. There's nothing even confusing or inflammatory about the question. I will answer it for you.

One of several things happened with this person. Either TRT was exactly what they needed, whether they wanted it or not, or they improved with the passage of time and credited it to TRT. Or maybe some combination of the two. Hell, I'll even throw in positivity as a variable. Maybe they started to see results and started to believe in it, which gave them some mental momentum to speed up the treatment. The person has CFS, which is a (very real) disorder. Maybe sound desensitization is great for treating hyperacusis from this condition. Another possibility is that because they didn't believe in it, they botched the CBT aspect, but the sound enrichment part still helped them. Then, when they started seeing results, they started believing in CBT as well. Maybe CBT had nothing to do with it.

I can't imagine being so attached to a treatment that you can't even admit one of the scenarios above happened. Instead, it's this cult-like obsession with doing TRT "exactly correctly" with "exactly the right mindset" and cherry-picking results to fit a narrative. I'm sorry, but I don't get it. And I'm one of the people that believes in TRT for a small select group.

I have no more logic to put out there. I am placing you on ignore -- it's a shame really. But I draw the line at calling people with outrageous disabilities as "children" like the fact that my life is in total shambles is some game.

Good luck with your future endeavors of taking credit for people's improvements as a result of the passage of time.

I want to throw one more thing out there: Chronic illness destroys people's confidence and self-belief. One year ago, I wouldn't have even engaged with you. I would have ignored you or left the forum. One of the reasons why I am sinking so low to the point where I am arguing with an abusive moron is because of how much my self-worth has fallen in the past year.

Maybe, just maybe, you should think about what these conditions do to peoples' self-worth. The reason why people engage with you is because their illness has shattered their confidence.

It's such a shame, as I always liked your warm personality towards new people. I thought maybe the reason you were so disrespectful to the suicidal people is because you didn't understand the issue. I guess I'm the stereotypical "It's my fault why they are talking disrespectfully, I just need to explain myself better" person. It turns out, you just can't answer basic questions about your own ideology and always position yourself as the victim.

It's really not difficult to answer my (non-hypothetical) question about how the CFS patient improved with TRT without believing in it. There's nothing even confusing or inflammatory about the question. I will answer it for you.

One of several things happened with this person. Either TRT was exactly what they needed, whether they wanted it or not, or they improved with the passage of time and credited it to TRT. Or maybe some combination of the two. Hell, I'll even throw in positivity as a variable. Maybe they started to see results and started to believe in it, which gave them some mental momentum to speed up the treatment. The person has CFS, which is a (very real) disorder. Maybe sound desensitization is great for treating hyperacusis from this condition. Another possibility is that because they didn't believe in it, they botched the CBT aspect, but the sound enrichment part still helped them. Then, when they started seeing results, they started believing in CBT as well. Maybe CBT had nothing to do with it.

I can't imagine being so attached to a treatment that you can't even admit one of the scenarios above happened. Instead, it's this cult-like obsession with doing TRT "exactly correctly" with "exactly the right mindset" and cherry-picking results to fit a narrative. I'm sorry, but I don't get it. And I'm one of the people that believes in TRT for a small select group.

I have no more logic to put out there. I am placing you on ignore -- it's a shame really. But I draw the line at calling people with outrageous disabilities as "children" like the fact that my life is in total shambles is some game.

Good luck with your future endeavors of taking credit for people's improvements as a result of the passage of time.
It's a shame really. I honestly have no idea why he is like this. You think after providing him with all the research articles about TRT not being a valid treatment that he would be open to changing his opinion and apologising to those victims.

I guess he's one of those people who aren't open minded in changing their decision and always believe they are right while clearly they are WRONG.

I've dealt with people like him before and what I did to prove the other person was wrong was back up my argument through research articles and then they apologised to me for being wrong.

Maybe one day @Michael Leigh might be smart enough to change his opinion but until that day comes it's a wait and see approach.

I've dealt with people like him before and what I did to prove the other person was wrong was back up my argument through research articles and then they apologised to me for being wrong.
The bar is exceedingly low. Just don't have a cult-like obsession with it. Hell, I don't even care that he loves TRT. Who am I to say that no one on earth is tailor-made for it?

The bar is exceedingly low. Just don't have a cult-like obsession with it. Hell, I don't even care that he loves TRT. Who am I to say that no one on earth is tailor-made for it?
His cult-like obsession with TRT is already succeeding with new victims. I see his new followers thank him for the advice.

Just know that for those new Tinnitus Talk members is to be weary of Michael Leigh. If you try TRT and it does not work he will bully you and say the reason why the treatment didn't work is because you were too negative.

Only try TRT if you have had tinnitus for longer than 6 months.
In the majority of cases tinnitus should improve and you may not need TRT, it may even make you worse.

@Zugzug

I have already explained to you that I visit this forum for a specific purpose. This does not include having to answer questions that you or specific members who I know are troublemakers put to me. The people that I correspond with are mostly those that visit here and asking for help. Occasionally I correspond with members I find interesting and there are quite a few. However, I have no wish to get involved in confrontations or arguments with anyone. I will either place them on ignore or if I have some spare time engage in a little frivolity, as I have done today. I couldn't contain my laughter any longer when I read your post, as you thought I feeling bad. On the contrary I assure you.

Take care and I wish you well.
Michael

@Zugzug

I have already explained to you that I visit this forum for a specific purpose. This does not include having to answer questions that you or specific members who I know are troublemakers put to me. The people that I correspond with are mostly those that visit here and asking for help. Occasionally I correspond with members I find interesting and there are quite a few. However, I have no wish to get involved in confrontations or arguments with anyone. I will either place them on ignore or if I have some spare time engage in a little frivolity, as I have done today. I couldn't contain my laughter any longer when I read your post, as you thought I feeling bad. On the contrary I assure you.

Take care and I wish you well.
Michael
@Michael Leigh

What is your specific purpose for visiting these forums? Is it to continue bullying victims who have tried TRT and stating why it didn't work for someone is because they were too negative or is it laughing at someone's post who is clearly suffering and doesn't need your additional laughing shit on top of their post.

Why are you calling those who confront you troublemakers, we are only trying to counter your argument by giving you research links to show you why TRT is a not a valid treatment.

You have not shown proof of why you believe TRT is a valid treatment through the use of research articles and you continue to use your own success story as valid research which it is clearly not valid in a science world. You choose to ignore our questions because you know you are WRONG and the rest of us are RIGHT. You can't face the facts because you would lose this debate.

All of us will continue to confront you and prove you wrong all the time so we can stop you from spreading lies throughout this forum.

Just to add my 2 cents here.

There have been people in this forum that have been helped by TRT. I haven't tried it myself and I do not wish to at this point because of :

- the cost
- some wrong beliefs that get passed on and really shouldn't be around anymore, but audiologists still go around saying volume does not matter and TRT can help everyone, otherwise it's their own fault. It's one thing to believe these things coming just out of university. It's another thing to keep telling this when you have 10 years of experience in the field, and many patients prove you wrong every day...
Jastreboff's attitude in the TRI video is also extremely arrogant and unscientific. He acts as if TRT is the endpoint. The pinnacle of tinnitus research. All we need and more...
30+ years and he hasn't learned a thing.

In my opinion TRT is an aid to help with habituation. If it has to be the only thing for tinnitus in decades to come, that would devastate me.

Just to add my 2 cents here.

There have been people in this forum that have been helped by TRT. I haven't tried it myself and I do not wish to at this point because of :

- the cost
- some wrong beliefs that get passed on and really shouldn't be around anymore, but audiologists still go around saying volume does not matter and TRT can help everyone, otherwise it's their own fault. It's one thing to believe these things coming just out of university. It's another thing to keep telling this when you have 10 years of experience in the field, and many patients prove you wrong every day...
Jastreboff's attitude in the TRI video is also extremely arrogant and unscientific. He acts as if TRT is the endpoint. The pinnacle of tinnitus research. All we need and more...
30+ years and he hasn't learned a thing.

In my opinion TRT is an aid to help with habituation. If it has to be the only thing for tinnitus in decades to come, that would devastate me.
I agree with this. My main point is about the fact that we are so damn worried about the newbie being discouraged. Why? It reminds me of feeling worse for billionaires for paying higher taxes than people who can't even feed themselves.

TRT is always there for those who may benefit from it. I'm sorry, but I do not feel bad for the person who wouldn't try sound enrichment because zugzug on the tinnitus forums said something discouraging.

Desperate people will try things. If they aren't that desperate, they probably aren't suffering that much.

This is a reminder that basically everyone here who opposes TRT has tried it. What does that show? It shows that we need to stop worrying about discouraging the newbie at the expense of slowing down real scientific breakthroughs.

Years ago, I developed eye floaters. On a forum, I came across people saying they can't habituate. I still tried to (and successfully did) habituate. Should we pause all biomedical research into the eye because I may have never tried habituating? No, this is ludicrous.

Quite disappointed to read this. I honestly thought you wanted to help people out, but apparently I was mistaken :(

Quite disappointed to read this. I honestly thought you wanted to help people out, but apparently I was mistaken :(

You should be disappointment by the appalling behaviour of a few mindless individuals that have turned this support forum into a circus. It's certainly not my doing. I have been here 6 years posted over 7,000 messages that contain more than 60 articles written about tinnitus and how it affects a person's mental and emotional wellbeing. Each article has no less than 400 words many have over 700 words and took hours to write. My article: Tinnitus, A Personal View took months to write and I gave up writing it on many occasions as my tinnitus was so severe. It was the support and encouragement from friends that enabled me to finish it. It is 13,000 words. I have placed all the troublemakers on ignore, so hopefully I can visit here in peace as I do at other forums to help people afflicted with this condition.

I wish you well.
Michael

You should be disappointment by the appalling behaviour of a few mindless individuals that have turned this support forum into a circus. It's certainly not my doing. I have been here 6 years posted over 7,000 messages that contain more than 60 articles written about tinnitus and how it affects a person's mental and emotional wellbeing. Each article has no less than 400 words many have over 700 words and took hours to write. My article: Tinnitus, A Personal View took months to write and I gave up writing it on many occasions as my tinnitus was so severe. It was the support and encouragement from friends that enabled me to finish it. It is 13,000 words. I have placed all the troublemakers on ignore, so hopefully I can visit here in peace as I do at other forums to help people afflicted with this condition.

I wish you well.
Michael

I'm sorry, but I'm lost here. If people say things that you disagree with, you can reply or ignore them. If they misbehave, you can report them.

How does any of the previously mentioned give any reason to start making fun of sufferers? Do you realize that this can push people over the edge to just end it all? Literally lifes can be at stake here: why would you willingly endanger that?

How does any of the previously mentioned give any reason to start making fun of sufferers? Do you realize that this can push people over the edge to just end it all? Literally lifes can be at stake here: why would you willingly endanger that?

You do not know the full picture and I haven't the time to explain it to you. However, if you are interested in what's been going on here, go back through my "post" history and I mean way back and start from there. Then make your judgement.

Thank you for your post but I'm now helping people who have contacted me so please excuse me.
Take care

Michael

Once again, a good thread is totally derailed due to someone's ego.

@Michael Leigh Did you even bother to read the OP of this thread or did you only come here to rate @serendipity1996 's post as "funny"? You should read the OP because it's pretty good and maybe you'll learn something about hyperacusis, which you currently know very little about (no offense, just trying to help you).

@Lucifer @Zugzug @serendipity1996
@lapidus @Autumnly

Guys, lapidus is right.

This is a good thread that hopefully would open the eyes of new sufferers.

@Michael Leigh has proven to be ignorant who isn't open to scientific discoveries or to a mature exchange of ideas.

It isn't worth it trying to argue, it's literally like talking to a door.

What concerns me are the new sufferers in despair who might get hurt with this outdated and proved to be wrong advice, but what can we do?

Maybe someday the staff gets tired of this misinformation spreading and victim blaming.

Until then this dude deserves pitty.

In my country we say that:
"The worst blind person is the one that doesn't wanna see."

@Lucifer @Zugzug @serendipity1996
@lapidus @Autumnly

Guys, lapidus is right.

This is a good thread that hopefully would open the eyes of new sufferers.

@Michael Leigh has proven to be ignorant who isn't open to scientific discoveries or to a mature exchange of ideas.

It isn't worth it trying to argue, it's literally like talking to a door.

What concerns me are the new sufferers in despair who might get hurt with this outdated and proved to be wrong advice, but what can we do?

Maybe someday the staff gets tired of this misinformation spreading and victim blaming.

Until then this dude deserves pitty.

In my country we say that:
"The worst blind person is the one that doesn't wanna see."
I found out it was like talking to a door so I put him on ignore (apparently now's the time to rhyme?). He actually confuses me. How can he be so nice to new people and disliked by so many of the suicidal people? It's almost more hurtful seeing that he has such a nice side; some of us could use talking to nice people. But the people who get to see it are the scared new people. The suicidal person is a pile of trash with a bad attitude. Amazing.

This is a reminder, for the millionth time, I don't hate people who believe in TRT. But it's nauseating when people do Jedi mind tricks to defend it.

To get back to the original discussion, I feel like people talk over each other on this forum a lot, all having different medical problems.

My hyperacusis is caused by a chronic illness. It has very little in common with noise-induced problems. Yet we are all here because of how primitive the research of the ear is. As Contrast has said in the past, much of this is a nod to how well run this forum is. Maybe we should find ways to compartmentalize different medical problems better on here.

That way, we don't get these weird scenarios where one person is a blessing to one group and a poison to another. Really though, most people can handle themselves. It's not that common for people to not realize that they are dealing with someone with a different medical problem.

. Maybe we should find ways to compartmentalize different medical problems better on here.

That way, we don't get these weird scenarios where one person is a blessing to one group and a poison to another. Really though, most people can handle themselves. It's not that common for people to not realize that they are dealing with someone with a different medical problem.
I actually agree with this. I don't have hyperacusis so I don't want to insert myself in this space. I maybe had about a month or so where loud noises bothered me a bit but looking back on it, that was fear speaking - as well as recently cleaned ears being a bit more sensitive.

But if anything's been proven on this forum, it's that many people have tinnitus for different reasons. Now I'm not saying everything needs a sub-category, but it would be nice if people with X issue could find resources for their onset/cause easier, and find others with similar cases a little easier.

That said, I realised I was talking to a door when I didn't get an answer to my question and instead just got the same old victim blaming response, reworded. I may not have hyperacusis, or have tried TRT (my case is very physical and may resolve once those issues do) but that doesn't mean I won't defend people when it's necessary.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now