• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Catastrophic Tinnitus Worsening After 7 Years — Caused by a Kiss on the Ear

Hi @volterra -- If you look carefully at @momus's post, she twice emphasized "for me". I got no impression she was trying to force her attitudes or perspectives on anyone else. She talked about what worked "for her", and I appreciated her sharing her thoughts, which I could very much relate to.

There's a saying we should have compassion for all, because everybody carries their own burden. It seems carrying a burden is a universal human experience. It depends on each of us to meet our challenges the best way we can. I think one of the most important things we can do, even during times of loss, is cultivate an attitude of gratitude for what we still have, which has been especially helpful for me.

Everybody's combination of challenges are different, such as in @Theezy's case, being unable to go for a walk (amongst so many other things he's dealing with). But I'll bet he's been able to find at least one (or a few things) he can do that helps him surmount his current difficulties that others cannot do--if only on a temporary basis.

Perhaps he can read, whereas many on this forum find tinnitus too intrusive to read anymore. Perhaps he can listen to music at low volume, whereas many on this forum can no longer do that. Perhaps he can go to places in nature that can give him a bit of a respite from his enormous challenges.

I guess the point I'm trying to make (and perhaps @momus as well), is that no matter how difficult things may become, there's almost always things we can do that help make (or keep) life meaningful. @momus's post was filled with her sharing things that gives her life meaning, things she's grateful for, and a philosophy (spirituality) she's incorporated in her life to live by. I thought it was great.
It's as if she didn't read what he is going though and just made a post rubbing salt in an open wound of someone less fortunate.

she twice emphasized "for me". I got no impression she was trying to force her attitudes or perspectives on anyone else. She talked about what worked "for her", and I appreciated her sharing her thoughts, which I could very much relate to.
I felt that in her post, she was trying to inspire people. But, each one of our valued members here, deal with a different issue when it comes to their tinnitus. It's not a one size-fits-all situation, we need to consider that.

I felt that in her post, she was trying to inspire people.
Hi @fishbone -- That's the way I saw it. And I applaud anybody on this forum who does their best to inspire others with their own success. Perhaps sometimes it doesn't come across as they had hoped, but I think it most cases, it behooves us to give them the benefit of the doubt. And if offended nonetheless, perhaps consider we may have misinterpreted it. Confusion and/or misunderstanding is not uncommon with the written word, especially when people are suffering as they are on this forum. -- Best!

@Theezy, your story was one of those the first ones I came across when I started reading Tinnitus Talk this January with then still very mild tinnitus. And it terrified me greatly.

I thought this was crazy, that there is no way I would become such a case. Yet, I have, and that's without obvious additional noise traumas. Maybe one, back in early April when I was playing with a tone generator cranking the volume to 90 dB+ probably for a few seconds - I have hearing loss in high frequencies so I could not tell it was so loud. Otherwise I lived a quiet life, protecting myself from any louder things (above 70 dB), I did some (mostly short) car drives, walks in the woods outside, maybe just a few visits to (quiet) restaurants. I took one plane trip to a quiet vacation spot.

Yet, here I am, severe.

How are you doing now? Your last update on your profile does not sound that great, sadly:
Theezy's Profile Post said:
I feel I took the edge off the H a tiny bit by getting outside to the backyard and woods a bit this summer (still pretty much housebound), but the T is relentless and only seems capable of worsening. Have you tried anything new recently? What's your regular sound exposure like?

@Theezy, your story was one of those the first ones I came across when I started reading Tinnitus Talk this January with then still very mild tinnitus. And it terrified me greatly.

I thought this was crazy, that there is no way I would become such a case. Yet, I have, and that's without obvious additional noise traumas. Maybe one, back in early April when I was playing with a tone generator cranking the volume to 90 dB+ probably for a few seconds - I have hearing loss in high frequencies so I could not tell it was so loud. Otherwise I lived a quiet life, protecting myself from any louder things (above 70 dB), I did some (mostly short) car drives, walks in the woods outside, maybe just a few visits to (quiet) restaurants. I took one plane trip to a quiet vacation spot.

Yet, here I am, severe.

How are you doing now? Your last update on your profile does not sound that great, sadly:
I am truly sorry to hear about your struggles, and I sincerely hope things are improving for you now. I apologize for not responding sooner. After I began to feel better in the spring of 2023, I avoided these forums. During that time, I enjoyed a period where I felt okay most days, although I had to live a highly adjusted lifestyle. I moved into a quiet apartment with wooded trails to walk on. My tinnitus and hyperacusis were always present, but I have amazing family and friends who would visit me, or I would visit my parents' house, which is only a ten-minute drive away. My life hasn't been normal, but I wasn't suffering every day; I was living with severe tinnitus and hyperacusis and maintaining a quiet environment.

Unfortunately, I'm back here because I experienced another worsening this past week. It feels like the initial worsening all over again, with a significant tinnitus spike, new sounds, loss of appetite, and physical illness. This made me realize how far I had come; I think my brain had blocked out the memory of these awful feelings and sensations. I was doing much better and had just contacted a tinnitus center to tackle things more aggressively since I had stabilized despite occasional spikes. It terrifies me that this is exactly how the last cycle started, and it took a year to see any signs of improvement.

To anyone reading about my experiences with tinnitus and hyperacusis, please don't assume this is the norm. As I did, people tend to avoid these sites when they're feeling better. I personally know plenty of people who have adjusted to even severe forms of these conditions and live normal, happy lives.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now