• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chinese Herb: Zhi Bai Di Huang Pian

mikeyellis

Author
Jan 3, 2015
Tinnitus Since
May 24, 2014
http://www.activeherb.com/zhibai/#column4

My naturopath has recommended this, has anyone ever tried or heard about it?

I am on day two taking 5 pills twice a day.

Uses: Nightsweats, Tinnitus, Hypertension, Hot Flashes, Chronic Sore Throat. Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan/Pian (Zhi Bo Di Huang Wan, Eight Flavor Rehmannia Pills), literally "anemarrhena, phellodendron and rehmannia pills" is a classic formula designed to nourish kidney and liver yin and clear yin deficient fire. Similar to Liu Wei Di Huang Wan, this formula has more heat clearing functions and is very useful for what is known as steaming bone syndrome. Symptoms may include hot flashes, feeling flushed, nightsweats, chronic sore throat and/or dry mouth, ringing in the ears, and scanty dark urine. This formula is used to treat nightsweats, tinnitus, chronic disease, hypertension, and menopause.*

A TCM practitioner in Penang suggested I try it (and another one). I liked the bitter taste, but no effect. He had me taking a higher dose. I think it was 5-8 little pills three times a day

Uses: Nightsweats, Tinnitus, Hypertension, Hot Flashes, Chronic Sore Throat. Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan/Pian (Zhi Bo Di Huang Wan, Eight Flavor Rehmannia Pills), literally "anemarrhena, phellodendron and rehmannia pills" is a classic formula designed to nourish kidney and liver yin and clear yin deficient fire. Similar to Liu Wei Di Huang Wan, this formula has more heat clearing functions and is very useful for what is known as steaming bone syndrome. Symptoms may include hot flashes, feeling flushed, nightsweats, chronic sore throat and/or dry mouth, ringing in the ears, and scanty dark urine. This formula is used to treat nightsweats, tinnitus, chronic disease, hypertension, and menopause.*
You posted this but does it work for you at least?

Do you know any cause of your T?

I was taking a Chinese herbal for awhile, called An Shen Bu Xin Wan. It had many properties, too, one of which was helping tinnitus. It was also very calming, and I believe I was taking four tea pills before bedtime. I eventually stopped taking it in favor of magnesium before bedtime.

I was taking a Chinese herbal for awhile, called An Shen Bu Xin Wan. It had many properties, too, one of which was helping tinnitus. It was also very calming, and I believe I was taking four tea pills before bedtime. I eventually stopped taking it in favor of magnesium before bedtime.

So magnesium works better you think?

Precaution #3 would rule out a lot of people from using it. The part that reads "or like hot drinks."
Many of us drink coffee or tea. Well, I know that I wouldn't give up coffee to take it...:)

Precaution
  • 1. Do not use it if you are taking cold medicines.
  • 2. Consult your herbalist or physician before use if you are pregnant.
  • 3. Do not use it if you have cold feeling of your body or limbs or like hot drinks.

@Codaz,

The ototoxic drug I took was Lisinopril, a blood pressure drug. My pulsatile tinnitus started right after that, too, so I'm pretty sure it's all related to the drug. I had very mild tinnitus before I took it..

Then, what made things even worse was that I complained about the Lisinopril, and got off it. The doctor then prescribed Propranolol for me, and then switched me to Toprol XL. These are all ototoxic! I finally got myself off all the blood pressure drugs and have not taken them for almost five years. Instead, I take a natural supplement called Carditone, that has no side effects. I also exercise and watch my diet. All of that helps keep my blood pressure under control.

However, so far I still have pulsatile tinnitus, although it has lessened in these past five years.

@Codaz,

The ototoxic drug I took was Lisinopril, a blood pressure drug. My pulsatile tinnitus started right after that, too, so I'm pretty sure it's all related to the drug. I had very mild tinnitus before I took it..

Then, what made things even worse was that I complained about the Lisinopril, and got off it. The doctor then prescribed Propranolol for me, and then switched me to Toprol XL. These are all ototoxic! I finally got myself off all the blood pressure drugs and have not taken them for almost five years. Instead, I take a natural supplement called Carditone, that has no side effects. I also exercise and watch my diet. All of that helps keep my blood pressure under control.

However, so far I still have pulsatile tinnitus, although it has lessened in these past five years.

Totally shit, If I may say so. Doctors switch to medicines that are as worse as the others on ototoxity.
A neurologist I visited said only very minor drugs can be considered ototoxic, but it is not true if I read your story.

But yeah, maybe they had no choice? Blood pressure is very dangerous, can get you heart condition which is very bad.

Yes, it is true that my blood pressure was high when the doctor took it that day. But then, it went back down. I seem to have white-coat hypertension, plus I was in a hurry to leave work and get to my doctor's appointment that day. So, that's what happened.

Now, however, my blood pressure is quite good most of the time, and I take it regularly with a home monitor. I keep daily records of my blood pressure, and try to do the right things every day.

I agree that there are many drugs out there that are ototoxic, more than doctors will admit.

Yes, it is true that my blood pressure was high when the doctor took it that day. But then, it went back down. I seem to have white-coat hypertension, plus I was in a hurry to leave work and get to my doctor's appointment that day. So, that's what happened.

Now, however, my blood pressure is quite good most of the time, and I take it regularly with a home monitor. I keep daily records of my blood pressure, and try to do the right things every day.

I agree that there are many drugs out there that are ototoxic, more than doctors will admit.

The same thing happens to me. I go to the doctor right after work, and its always high. I'm not sure if its work, or the fact I 'm going to the doctor, or the fact I'm going to see a doctor after work. He commented it was high when I got there and to double check he took it at the end of the visit and it had dropped a bunch. He must have done this before and somehow he knew that I probably didnt have high blood pressure.

@RB2014,

Thanks for sharing that! It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one who has had this happen. The only problem is, the nurse took my blood pressure again, and it had still not gone down.

I now know that my blood pressure is at its highest in the late afternoon, so these days, I try to schedule my doctor appointments in the morning. Even then, when they take my blood pressure, it is on the high side. I think I'm just plain nervous about having my blood pressure taken!

@RB2014,

Thanks for sharing that! It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one who has had this happen. The only problem is, the nurse took my blood pressure again, and it had still not gone down.

I now know that my blood pressure is at its highest in the late afternoon, so these days, I try to schedule my doctor appointments in the morning. Even then, when they take my blood pressure, it is on the high side. I think I'm just plain nervous about having my blood pressure taken!

Keep in mind my next blood pressure was taken an hour later and still in the doctors office and it still showed to be high. Mine was still probably still much higher even the second time around than usual. I know when I take it on the machines at Sams club on the weekend, it always pops up normal.
I know for me doctors and dentists raise my blood pressure and heart rate, and so does work as its always stressful there. So the combination is probably bad.

I totally understand, @RB2014! That's how mine is, too. I have a home blood pressure monitor, and try to take mine just about every day. Mine follows a pattern -- lower in the morning (usually normal, around 118/75) , highest in late afternoon (sometimes as high as 140/80), but then back down again in the evening (118 to 120/80). I'm not sure I would really consider that high blood pressure. I'm going to continue taking natural supplements, and not let any doctors push me into taking those meds with the horrible side effects! I hope you can do the same.

@threefirefour How's this treatment working for ya bud, also got some of those new kung fu moves you could show me?

martial-art-flying-kick-picture-id495868375?s=612x612.jpg

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now