Church Worship and Tinnitus

I guess it depends on your T ... And your church :)

I very rarely go to church, and when I do, it's quite a somber type service - not at all like some upbeat services I've seen. If your talking electric guitars, speakers and lots of loud shouting, then yes - I'd take some plugs along... BUT, my T is also reactive and loud places seem to amp mine up - you may be fine

If you have H, and if there are loud music at your church congregation, then yes you should wear ear plugs. Otherwise there is no need to over protect. You will be able to tell if you can handle social conversation or speaker sound from the pulpit. If you can't take it, then your H is not ready to handle loud sound yet and you should wear ear plugs or simply stay off until your H is more stabilized.

I'm in our church choir which I love and also in a bell choir which was very hard when my T first started. I wore earplugs for a couple of months then slowly stopped wearing them, and it doesn't bother me too much anymore. Sometimes my T is worse on Mondays and Thursdays (the day after rehearsal) and for awhile I considered dropping out of choir. Then I realized that I loved choir more than I hated the T and I didn't want it to dictate what I could do. I'm slowly habituating so I just accept that Mondays and Thursdays might be "louder" T days. I think you should try worship with earplugs at first, and if it doesn't make your T worse, then you can try it without them. It all depends on how loud your music is and how sensitive your hearing is. I do put my earplugs in if the trumpet player comes, but that's usually just for big feasts like Christmas and Easter!

I'm in our church choir which I love and also in a bell choir which was very hard when my T first started. I wore earplugs for a couple of months then slowly stopped wearing them, and it doesn't bother me too much anymore. Sometimes my T is worse on Mondays and Thursdays (the day after rehearsal) and for awhile I considered dropping out of choir. Then I realized that I loved choir more than I hated the T and I didn't want it to dictate what I could do. I'm slowly habituating so I just accept that Mondays and Thursdays might be "louder" T days. I think you should try worship with earplugs at first, and if it doesn't make your T worse, then you can try it without them. It all depends on how loud your music is and how sensitive your hearing is. I do put my earplugs in if the trumpet player comes, but that's usually just for big feasts like Christmas and Easter!
I like your way of thinking; don't let T drive the bus. We need to love doing things more than we hate our t. So many t sufferers are also music lovers. We need to find ways to continue with out passions.

Yes, especially if they have a live band. If it's a regular church, with a choir and piano, your probably fine.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now