Cochlear Implants as a Treatment of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by rogi, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      I wonder if they will ever look to expand the criteria for people who just fall outside of the requirements for a cochlear implant.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      That's why I'm interested in SENS-401. I think the ability to preserve more residual hearing is key.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Ryan Scott
      Inspired

Ryan Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I heard a theory from an audiologist sometime back; he thought hearing aids were still important for people with tinnitus and hearing loss, but not enough hearing loss to need hearing aids. The theory is that the hearing aids will help to still possibly stimulate neurons which may be important to cure tinnitus and hearing loss if there ever is to be a cure sometime down the road. Have you come across any research regarding this?

Admittedly this is probably more of a hypothesis than a theory, considering they do not have any real way to prove this.

4. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Yes, I've heard it. It sells hearing aids and is merely a hypothesis as far as I'm aware.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      Stories like these are enough to scare me away from looking into cochlear implants. They do give some people tinnitus, maybe because it's such a destructive procedure.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I think the requirements for having a cochlear implant just are what they are. To me, this is a last ditch, high risk gamble "just" to simply mitigate tinnitus.

I know, when our tinnitus is really screaming, we think we would do anything to get away from it. But would you want to hear what I'm hearing on this website below? I sure wouldn't, and if speech sounds like this, just imagine how everything else sounds? Might sound like something out of a nightmare.

These are recorded simulations from the University of Connecticut of how you would hear w/ a cochlear implant.

• Informative Informative x 2
    7. 2noist

2noist Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
    8. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      From what I've read, you have a chance of 70-80% of tinnitus being eliminated or reduced, 10-15% no change, and 5% worsening.

A cochlear implant seems to be the best treatment option for many with severe-profound hearing loss.

Now what are the odds with DBS or Neurosoft?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Kelly Assouly, who studies hearing restoration specifically as a treatment for tinnitus, is one of the authors.

The indication was single-sided deafness with tinnitus.
      Tinnitus reduction in patients with single-sided deafness: the effect of cochlear implantation, bone conduction devices, and contralateral routing of sound hearing aids investigated in a randomized controlled trial

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I have profound hearing loss. It is heartening to know this tech is being developed.

I see DBS going nowhere for a multitude of reasons. I am unaware of Neurosoft.

Thanks for the updates, @Nick47.

11. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Hi @Daniel Lion, I have unilateral profound high-frequency hearing loss. What's your audiogram like? Cochlear implants have been around for 50 years, and the technology has improved quite a bit. Are you not a candidate?

Have a look at the Neurosoft thread. The DBS is slow, slow, and slower. Due to the hardware, it's also risky, more so than Neurosoft. With Neurosoft, it's the unknown. There is no data to go on other than that they have tested safety in Epilepsy patients.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My audiogram is like a ski slope. I had two after my sudden hearing loss and have forgotten the details, and I lost the audiograms in my ensuing madness and torment. I was horrified at how bad they were. The doctor said I should get hearing aids, but because I had hyperacusis at the time, I was terrified of putting anything in or close to my ears. I still feel this way and can cope with my 24-hour eeeeee tinnitus.

I am 57 now. If things get worse or stay the same, I will explore mechanical devices in the future and even cochlear implants if their success rate for tinnitus pans out high. It would be amazing to live without this. Until then, I stay busy and positive.

Take care, @Nick47. Thank you for your contributions to Tinnitus Talk.

• Like Like x 3
    13. AverageJoe12

AverageJoe12 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night club in Feb ‘23, MRI in Feb '24, drummer since age 15
      What was the trajectory of your hyperacusis? It has presumably improved? Over what duration?

14. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi,

My hyperacusis has improved dramatically, but I am still super cautious about plugging up. I just took a 13-hour flight and wore clunky Peltor earmuffs the entire journey. That or foam earplugs and each physically hurt over time. Earmuffs are less painful. I digress.

It probably took a year before it went into what I call remission. I think it left me with some PTSD, but I am happy it is gone, and I am only left with my loud tinnitus. Hyperacusis is a killer. Clean living, head massage, quiet, and time helped me.

Are you suffering from hyperacusis, @AverageJoe12?

15. ErikaS

ErikaS Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Ultra High Frequency SSHL in Right Ear
      Hey @Daniel Lion, thank you so much for sharing.

In addition to hyperacusis, did you have sound reactive tinnitus in which the tinnitus would exacerbate or worsen in reaction to external sounds? If so, do you still have that now?

I do not have hyperacusis, but reactivity has been with me for almost two years now. There have been times where I feel it calms down, but a spike can bring it right back to ground zero.

I'm just curious if you had this and if it faded along with your hyperacusis.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @ErikaS ,
      I have never had reactivity. My tinnitus is always loud and constant, but it doesn't really change.

Sorry, I cannot be of any help.

I wish the best for you. I know it is hard.
      Hugs

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Tim Moore

Tim Moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 5, 2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert - Def Leppard @ Fenway Park
      Hi all, new here! After nonstop reading on the subject of tinnitus, this paper gives me hope!

18. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Hi Tim, it's been known for decades that cochlear implants 'can' reduce or eliminate tinnitus in those with severe-profound hearing loss. This finding led a couple of researchers to develop middle ear implants to stimulate the cochlear nerve electrically.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. MiaVIL
      No Mood

MiaVIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection, hearing loss
      Let’s get this show on the road.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Tim Moore

Tim Moore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 5, 2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert - Def Leppard @ Fenway Park
      After doing some more research, it seems that if you have mild hearing loss along with tinnitus, the cochlear implant procedure can eliminate your remaining natural hearing without fully guaranteeing the elimination of tinnitus. This could make you reliant on the implant for the rest of your life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. MiaVIL
      No Mood

MiaVIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection, hearing loss
      My post was about middle ear implants that aim not to interfere with residual hearing.

Also, my tinnitus is so bad that I would rather be deaf.

• Hug Hug x 2