Resource icon

Commercial Lidocaine Patch as a Treatment for Ear-ringing

As promised, I'd like to report back after using the 4% Lidocaine patches. For some time now, my tinnitus has been accompanied by daily migraines, sensations in my face and scalp, and burning ears. I started using the patches in the evening after my daily bath (around 8 p.m.) and removed them the next day at noon. Most days, I used half a patch, although sometimes I used a whole patch.

On the first day, I still experienced a slight migraine. However, over the next few days, I didn't, so I thought I was improving. Unfortunately, my tinnitus is reactive and very unstable. For the first three days, I also had the impression that it was less fluctuating (on a second-to-second level). However, even a short conversation or exposure to higher sound levels (sometimes unavoidable) can trigger an onset.

By day six, my tinnitus became very static, metallic, and louder, and the migraines returned. I haven't used the patches for a while now, and my tinnitus has returned to its "baseline." I haven't experienced migraines in a few days without the patches, but the sensations, burning ears, and tinnitus are still present.

I only used the patches for a short period, so it's hard to draw a firm conclusion. Unfortunately, I don't think they work for me. I've been trying to habituate to this new baseline for quite some time, but it's been difficult due to the other symptoms and sensations I'm experiencing.

Maybe I should try targeting the trigeminal nerve and placing the patches on my cheek, as @ccm302 suggests, but closer to my ears.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now