Constant Fight to Prevent Worsening of Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Is Worthless

Discussion in 'Support' started by Adaś, Jul 20, 2020.

1. haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      Something must be going on with us that's different than the majority of the population that do have tinnitus.

I'm guessing if you have reactive tinnitus, it means that you're susceptible to getting hyperacusis/noxacusis later down the line because both conditions involve the type II afferents I believe. That's probably why we get it more severely and typical treatments don't work for us usually.

2. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Yeah, my tinnitus was reactive almost from day one. No pain, but mild burning/warmth sensation started to show very occasionally a few months after the onset. Still rare, but there. Like yesterday after meeting someone and talking for an extended amount of time, I had a spike and burning sensation in the evening.

I suppose what makes us different is the extent of the damage AND our brain's inability to cope. For those folks that went straight to pain hyperacusis (noxacusis), it could be just the former, i.e. maybe your brain would cope alright even with loud tinnitus, but nobody's brain can deal with noxacusis.

3. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Well, I can't really relate to your guessing at all. To me, hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus is synergistic - and to my knowledge (and personal experience) they often occur and "work" together.

To me, reactive tinnitus is a subset of sound sensitivity.

Once my sound sensitivity got better, my reactive tinnitus also got better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      Exactly. That's just like my doctor who said he has it and just ignores it, like I should be able to do the same thing. Except, most people have mild tinnitus that they don't hear over outdoor traffic, over the crickets, over the TV, etc. So, it's not the same thing. I had that for many years, and that was not an issue. It's the sudden change I experienced in February 2022 that took me over the threshold and caused a lot of distress.

• Agree Agree x 7
    5. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Yeah, being obsessed and always thinking about it. Like I know my tinnitus changes regardless of my thoughts; it is bad in the morning when I don't feel like living, then it gets better later, and I resume my limited life, etc. I know it is not because of what I think or feel. People say tinnitus is stress dependent. For me - BS. I am not seeing that, at least it is not a significant factor. But the constant thinking reinforces it over long term - maybe? My wife is telling me that now after months of thinking about ear issues, she feels her ear is off (feeling kinda full), and it wasn't before...

How bad my friend's tinnitus is, indeed impossible to know. He says he hears it always.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      I don't believe in the psychological aspect of tinnitus. My tinnitus is piercing and intrusive. I don't need to think or obsess about it. It's just there, constant, regardless of what I think or how I feel.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Loui

Loui Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I think a lot of people suffer from tinnitus and hyperacusis in silence (no pun intended). Most people can't afford not to work and just have to find a way to pass through life. I’m bothered by my tinnitus every day and would say I have mild hyperacusis. I’m 34 years old. I have no choice but to try to live my life to the best of my ability. I think it's the same for most people.

There are other chronic illnesses in this world. People suffer every day. That's the reality.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      The same case for me as well. Reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis (heightened sensitivity to sound) both emerged shortly after my tinnitus worsened.

I’ve been dealing with two distinct forms of reactive tinnitus for over 2 years now. Similar to your experience, the first form of reactive tinnitus known as the spiking variation got better once the sound sensitivity improved. There was a noticeable connection between sound sensitivity and the likelihood of experiencing frequent tinnitus spikes. I know plenty of others here, such as yourself, share the same sentiment.

I’m still left with the other form of reactive tinnitus, where specific continuous external noise will trigger my tinnitus instantly, but the reactivity ceases once the sound source is gone. To be honest, I’m not sure if this variation is related to hyperacusis at all. It’s not bothersome whatsoever, particularly in relation to sound sensitivity or discomfort. It’s just there, does what it wants. It’s simply a matter of perception. I’m thinking it’s more of an electrical signaling problem in the brain. Definitely shares no connection to noxacusis.

The claims that reactive tinnitus serves as a precursor to noxacusis/pain hyperacusis make absolutely no sense to me. My tinnitus is always instantly reacting everyday (even through hearing protection) to certain sounds. It’s not something I can avoid, but not once have I ever experienced or developed any kind of prolonged burning or stabbing pain sensations.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      So I don't, either, but I begin to again doubt myself. Obviously this starts as a physical damage to the ear, there is no question about it (at least for noise induced cases). Then the brain maladaptation occurs. How much the maladaptation is from the emotional and/or cognitive state? The damn brain is one damn cluster of crap nobody truly understands. The reports on pain being made worse by central sensitizations are intriguing. There are reports on this forum (e.g., @Marin) and elsewhere indicating so.
      I guess it is the reality. I wasn't implying everyone on this forum sits at home and is stuck online complaining (like me). I guess we truly can't know the severity of another's situation. Whether they talk about or indeed suffer "in silence" is maybe another matter. It really seems that not talking about it is part of the strategy of coping, conscious or not. Is it personality dependent? Like some people find relief in talking? But even they would find relief in burying the issue (at least after the initial period of talking about it)? I really have no idea anymore. Just rambling, I guess.

10. Loui

Loui Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I’ve spoken a lot about my hearing issues but in the end, people who don't suffer from these afflictions don't really get it. I just try to live my life, suffering through every day and hoping for treatments in the future. We only have one life. My advice would be to try to go on with life. The tinnitus might stay the same, get better or worse. We should live for today because our days are numbered, with or without disease.

Maybe you should take a break for this forum? I for sure will for an unforeseeable amount of time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Yes @Loui, our days our numbered with or without any sort of affliction.

Today is what we got, tomorrow is unknown. No one knows what the future holds.

Personally I try to hold focus on what is good in my life, and what gives me joy. I try not to dwell too much about what was, and what if, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

I rather focus on the now, on today, on what I can do to get that feeling that it was a good day. No matter the state I am in.

Some days are less good than others, but this is part of life. No matter the affliction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I completely agree. I lived my life like normal till my increase in tinnitus volume. I should think the same as I did last time and carry on with life (tinnitus only got better, not worse). Come what may. Of course this time with earplugs tagging along in my daily life :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Bad experience with Dr. Hubbard?

14. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Yeah, search my posts for more details. His advice is useless and potentially harmful. Quote "it is just a fucking noise". You're supposed to just go live "normally". You don't need hearing protection unless "you need to shout to talk". Or just "take an antidepressant, nobody's tinnitus ever got worse from antidepressant".

This is pretty complete summary what you will get for $250/h from Dr. Bruce Hubbard, plus some boring lecture with questionable statistics about tinnitus (and of course how great and proven CBT is).

Seriously, one will be better off spending money on some placebo supplements.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. crescentsky
      Transparent

crescentsky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2022: April/May, Exact Timing? DK.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no idea, shit luck
      I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I had a couple of sessions with him and I found him very insensitive. He even told me that I should be glad at at 33 (at the time), tinnitus was my problem and not other issues like cancer or car accident. He made me fill out a questionnaire/paperwork, but didn't even bother reading it and he never seemed to be able to remember my name/called me the wrong name during my sessions. Ha.

• Funny Funny x 1