• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Could the Acoustic Reflex Test Have Made Me Permanently Worse?

Then what's the point of them? If they're so damaging, why haven't they ceased administering them? What happened to the old clinical motto "do no harm"?

Because they want to hurt you, your suffering equals money. More suffering = more money.
Bro, I was supposed to begin VRT (Vestibular Retraining Therapy) as they thought I had damaged my labyrinth. WELL I DIDNT...They also said I might have Acoustic Neuroma, Blood Cancer, Thyorid Cancer, Cochlear Hydrops, etc. My ENT Told me that Noise induced hearing loss happens less than we think it does. Audiologist said that Acoustic Trauma happens on the spot, Tinnitus dosent lag, no delay, it happens ASAP as soon as a very loud noise damages your ear. if Tinnitus begins the next day or a week later, it means you have some "ear disease" or other "disease"

He didn't persist.

When I lie on my death bed many years from now, I will remember it as the one thing I did right in life.

You did the right thing.
I damaged a lot of my hearing and now still dealing (mild hearing loss in noisy areas) with Severe t and severe h. Next year marks 1 year with ear fullness, severe h, severe t, etc. No improvement....nothing. I hope my story can serve (and the story of others who did ECOG -ACOUSTIC REFLEX-Caloric Test/Ear Irrigation-Microsuction) that we can get more hearing loss. Please respect your ears. I didnt sleep last night how loud my tinnitus was.

Hi @The Jordan,

I had the same experience on Monday. I didn't have any physical head pain, but I did notice a new ringing and electrical buzzing sound after what they said was an otoacoustic emission test. It might have been the same test you took. The way you described the new sounds so precisely makes me think we're definitely in the same horrible situation.

What did you do about yours? And how is it now?

The acoustic reflex test permanently worsened my tinnitus, and I wasn't aware that it was being performed as part of the tympanometry procedure at the time.

Sorry, it turns out my tests were tympanometry and otoacoustic emissions. I experienced the same exact electrical buzz starting the next day. Can you tell me how yours turned out?
The acoustic reflex test permanently worsened my tinnitus, and I wasn't aware that it was being performed as part of the tympanometry procedure at the time.
What was your acoustic reflex test like? I want to make sure they didn't include it with my tympanometry and OAE tests.

Loud intermittent beeps.
Ah, mine weren't loud—just intermittent sounds. But I'm certain they gave me this new electrical generator tinnitus. I'll never be able to go back in time and undo this, and they'll never admit that they've ruined my life.

Ah, mine weren't loud—just intermittent sounds. But I'm certain they gave me this new electrical generator tinnitus. I'll never be able to go back in time and undo this, and they'll never admit that they've ruined my life.
I wish I could go back in time and skip that appointment for a hearing check. I'm still trying to accept what happened and move on, but it's not easy. It's been two years, and the thought of it still gives me shudders.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now