• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Could This Be (Intermittent) Pulsatile Tinnitus?

Jeff M

Author
Jul 7, 2022
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Tinnitus: Rock Concerts; PT, if it is: Unknown
Hi all! I've had tinnitus for 30 years as a constant high-pitched static. I've long ignored it. But in the last several months, the tinnitus in my left ear has gotten louder and has taken on a pulsing quality for much of the day. I'd like your thoughts on whether this could be pulsatile.

(1) The pulsing is there often, but not all of the time. It remains the same old high-pitched static, but it's a little louder than before and has a pulsing quality often.

(2) The pulsing appears to get faster when my pulse does. But it does NOT pulse right in-tune with my heartbeat. Instead, it seems a bit off, pulsing between the beats I can feel in my carotid artery.

(3) The pulsing seems unaffected by pressure on my carotid artery or other parts of my neck.

(4) I went to a well-regarded ENT, who tested my hearing and listened to my head. He said my hearing is good, there are no problems with my ears, and he assured me that what I was experiencing was not pulsatile tinnitus. When I asked why, he said that pulsatile tinnitus is rare, does not come and go, and tends to be strong and prominent. He said he could not explain my tinnitus, but thought it could muscular, perhaps related to my neck (I am doing physical therapy exercises for pain that occurs on the other (right) side of my neck when I turn my head).

But the pulsing remains. I sometimes focus on these sorts of things, and would love to hear I shouldn't worry.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi all! I've had tinnitus for 30 years as a constant high-pitched static. I've long ignored it. But in the last several months, the tinnitus in my left ear has gotten louder and has taken on a pulsing quality for much of the day. I'd like your thoughts on whether this could be pulsatile.

(1) The pulsing is there often, but not all of the time. It remains the same old high-pitched static, but it's a little louder than before and has a pulsing quality often.

(2) The pulsing appears to get faster when my pulse does. But it does NOT pulse right in-tune with my heartbeat. Instead, it seems a bit off, pulsing between the beats I can feel in my carotid artery.

(3) The pulsing seems unaffected by pressure on my carotid artery or other parts of my neck.

(4) I went to a well-regarded ENT, who tested my hearing and listened to my head. He said my hearing is good, there are no problems with my ears, and he assured me that what I was experiencing was not pulsatile tinnitus. When I asked why, he said that pulsatile tinnitus is rare, does not come and go, and tends to be strong and prominent. He said he could not explain my tinnitus, but thought it could muscular, perhaps related to my neck (I am doing physical therapy exercises for pain that occurs on the other (right) side of my neck when I turn my head).

But the pulsing remains. I sometimes focus on these sorts of things, and would love to hear I shouldn't worry.

Hello,

Mine is somewhat similar although I have not actually compared it to my pulse. I find that mine occurs when my heart rate raises or if I turn over in bed first thing in the morning. I get it mostly in my left ear but recently also my right. It doesn't happen all day, like I said, it only tends to happen if I turn over or if I have run up a flight of stairs. So it is definitely a correlation with my heart rate increasing.

I saw an ENT and she basically had my carotid arteries checked via ultrasound and ordered some blood tests and they said everything was fine. So I don't know what I have either and I'm considering a referral to an otologist but I don't want to have an MRA because they are too loud.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope that it gets better for you.

@Forever hopeful, thank you so much for your thoughts. I experience it similarly, mainly hearing the pulsing in bed when I wake up or after my pulse increases. I just had my wife compare my pulse to my pulsing, and... it was the same. So I'm skeptical that this is not pulsatile tinnitus, despite my ENT's assurances.

I once had a head MRI for a different reason; it was very rattling, for sure. So I can understand your hesitance. If you decide you want further assurance and have an MRA, I recommend using a good pair of earplugs and headphones. Also, most doctors will prescribe a single dose of an anti-anxiety pill, if that is the concern.

@Forever hopeful, thank you so much for your thoughts. I experience it similarly, mainly hearing the pulsing in bed when I wake up or after my pulse increases. I just had my wife compare my pulse to my pulsing, and... it was the same. So I'm skeptical that this is not pulsatile tinnitus, despite my ENT's assurances.

I once had a head MRI for a different reason; it was very rattling, for sure. So I can understand your hesitance. If you decide you want further assurance and have an MRA, I recommend using a good pair of earplugs and headphones. Also, most doctors will prescribe a single dose of an anti-anxiety pill, if that is the concern.
Just FYI, make sure the anti-anxiety medication prescribed isn't ototoxic. Ototoxic medications can promote either a permanent or temporary tinnitus.

Hi, did you ever find a solution? I have the exact same thing.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now