• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Distorted Hearing, High Pitched Tones Amplified, My Own Speaking Uncomfortable

Not so far, no...

:(
I'm sorry to hear that. The main problem for me with the distortion is the stabbing pain that comes with it, everytime I hear anything above a certain loudness threshold, which isn't even that high. My own voice makes it react at just a moderate speaking level.

Do you have/did you have this pain/hyperacusis? If so, did it improve in any way? I think I could habituate to the distortion/reactiveness itself, but the pain that comes with it is just unbearable.

I'm sorry to hear that. The main problem for me with the distortion is the stabbing pain that comes with it, everytime I hear anything above a certain loudness threshold, which isn't even that high. My own voice makes it react at just a moderate speaking level.

Do you have/did you have this pain/hyperacusis? If so, did it improve in any way? I think I could habituate to the distortion/reactiveness itself, but the pain that comes with it is just unbearable.
I'm sorry, that sounds so awful... The one thing I haven't had over the course of this awful year is noxacusis (pain hyperacusis).

I have everything else - tinnitus, reactivity, loudness hyperacusis, and distortions but not pain in response to noise levels.

There's actually a lot of discussion surrounding treating noxacusis with FX-322 and I believe the reformulated Trobalt that Dr. Tzounopoulos is working on.

Lately I've seen a lot of our knowledgeable members talk about it on the Sound Pharmaceuticals thread. Have you checked that out?

And also a lot of people have had their noxacusis improve over time, although sometimes it's taken 2-3 years.

Not so far, no...

:(
It is not a sustainable solution, but have you ever tried a benzo? When I take Xanax my distortions go way down, and others have reported similar effects.

It is not a sustainable solution, but have you ever tried a benzo? When I take Xanax my distortions go way down, and others have reported similar effects.
I have heard that, but at this point I'd prefer not to touch anything that messes with GABA or my neurotransmitters.

And like you said, it's unfortunately not sustainable :/ So even if I did find relief there wouldn't be anywhere really for me to go from there...

How long have you had noxacusis for? Very sorry you are dealing with this - it's a nightmare! But mine has improved a lot over the past 10 months for what it's worth so I think you could reasonably look forward to some resolution of your symptoms. I went through a very 'acute' period for 3 months or so where I experienced stabbing, burning pain often at random but it gradually went away.

I have heard that, but at this point I'd prefer not to touch anything that messes with GABA or my neurotransmitters.

And like you said, it's unfortunately not sustainable :/ So even if I did find relief there wouldn't be anywhere really for me to go from there...
Sometimes I am tempted to pop a Xanax just out of curiosity to see whether it would alleviate my lingering noxacusis/trigeminal symptoms that flare up at times. But I'm also pretty wary about screwing things up. I have noticed that a glass of wine does somewhat mute my symptoms but not going to make a habit of it.

I'm the same, but have you thought about trying precursors to GABA eg. Magnesium, Taurine...

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now