DMSO & Magnesium Oil for Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS)

Hi @Lane,

I have Magnesium oil and DMSO on the way, so I'm excited to try this.

Did it help your tinnitus at all? I find it odd that it would help the non-tinnitus TTTS symptoms (TTTS causes tinnitus) without helping the tinnitus.

So, just to clarify, the symptoms it helped were the fluttering ear drum upon certain sounds and the little clicks in the eardrum that sometimes happen for no reason?

Thanks, and I'll report back how it goes.
Do you think TTTS causes subjective tinnitus, apart of the muscle spasm, the objective one?

I've used a combination of DMSO & Magnesium Oil for several years now, mostly applying it to any muscle or area of my body that was tender or painful. I believe using it around my ears when I started experiencing TTTS last year more than likely resulted in my experience with TTTS being relatively short lived. -- To explain:

DMSO has a number of remarkable healing qualities and characteristics, giving it some pretty amazing abilities to increase circulation and reduce inflammation (both almost vitally important for injured ears). It also has incredible ability to be a carrier for other substances, which works well for getting these substances deeper into the skin and the body.

I started using this combination on some lower back pain, and some neck pain as well. I got very good results from doing that, and also noticed a very curious thing. I would have some left over on my hands, and would rub the remnants over my eyelids (I'd read DMSO was good for the eyes, but didn't want to put it directly into my eyes).

Totally unexpectedly, my chronic eye twitching of several years duration went away after about 2-3 days. So when I started experiencing symptoms of TTTS, I figured putting some around my ears might calm down those involuntary twitches as well. And it did. Not as quickly as the eye twitches, but I don't think the TTTS persisted for more than a few weeks (was about a year ago). I've not had any fluttering or painful twitching since then.

Notes:

DMSO needs to be diluted before using. Most call for a dilution of 2 parts DMSO to 1 part purified water, though you can dilute to whatever strength you desire. After mixing the two, the dilution mixture will actually create some kind of chemical reaction, and will warm up for a few minutes.

Magnesium Oil is made by filling any glass container half full with Magnesium Flakes. Then fill to the top with purified water. Most of it will dissolve in a short while, but may take 24 hours to completely dissolve. The resulting mixture is called Magnesium Oil, because it has an oily texture (even though it really isn't an oil).

I put both mixtures in dropper bottles, and mix a dropperful of each in my hands before applying.

Things to be aware of:

1) Both of these substances have the potential to irritate the skin, making it feel kind of prickly. If that happens, you can put some kind of soothing oil over the skin, like coconut oil. But a simpler solution would be to just dilute it more, so that the irritation doesn't set in.

2) DMSO opens up the skin pores, and is great for acting as a carrier for other substances. If those other substances are good--like Magnesium Oil, or other essential oils, etc.--then that's a very nice characteristic to take advantage of. However, care needs to be taken (for about 20 minutes or so), not to expose that skin to detrimental substances, such as chlorine in water, toxic cleaners, or toxic anything else.

3) The Magnesium Oil from the flakes is technically Magnesium Chloride. Some say this is the best kind of magnesium for your body. Others have said that if a person is deficient in magnesium, applying Magnesium Chloride transdermally is the fastest way to restore that deficiency. -- This can be ideal if a person is dealing with tinnitus, and wants to get the calming effects of magnesium started as quickly as possible.

4) The Magnesium Chloride is easily and readily converted to Hydrochloric Acid. So if you have weak digestion, putting small amounts of this in your food--or even applying it transdermally on your stomach--just might improve your digestion.

5) Though many people have not heard of DMSO, and many others know only a little about it, it's actually an incredibly versatile natural substance (comes from trees), and has an unusually high safety profile. It's often used as the first line of defense against run-away inflammation in case of closed head injury. It can bring pressure in the head down dramatically in under five minutes, and has been credited with saving many people's lives.

6) DMSO is often used as a natural solvent for people who suffer a stroke. Though it's remarkably effective, very expensive patented pharmaceutical solvents have for the most part replaced them in hospital settings. -- It's also been reported to be able to dissolve cataracts.

There are many other things that could be shared about this remarkable substance. I won't elaborate any more now, as this post is about how there's a good chance it could help many with TTTS. BTW, it appears to have the potential for improving tinnitus as well. -- Dimethyl sulfoxide [DMSO] therapy in subjective tinnitus of unknown origin.

P.S. Even if you never use DMSO + Magnesium Oil for TTTS, I think it's a good idea for this combination to be in every medicine cabinet. It really is remarkable what it can do for all kinds of aches. pains and swelling, and can dramatically accelerate healing from all types of injures (including broken bones). -- It's even been reported to heal nerves and restore limb movement in some cases of paralysis.
Hey @Lane, I see that you're one of, if not the only person on here to try micro-current therapy (albeit for other reasons). Do you think it helped with your hyperacusis at all, or did you only have TTTS?

Hey @Lane, I see that you're one of, if not the only person on here to try micro-current therapy (albeit for other reasons). Do you think it helped with your hyperacusis at all, or did you only have TTTS?
Hi @Aaron91 -- I no longer have my Alpha-Stim unit (got burned in a house fire). I used it regularly when I only had hyperacusis (I didn't get tinnitus until Feb. 4, 2018). I really don't recall whether or not Alpha-Stim affected my hyperacusis one way or another. I never had it in mind that it might help, so I never really tried to tune into it.

When I got tinnitus in 2018 from a single dose of an anti-nausea medication, my fairly difficult hyperacusis went into overdrive. It was pretty unbelievable how even peeing was too much for my fragile ears (had to start peeing like a girl lol). It was very difficult for the next 2 years or so before it started to noticeably improve. In the past couple years, I'd say it's not only returned to baseline, but seems to have improved even more from that baseline.

I credit that to some kind of combination of a wide variety of things I've done to try to get my tinnitus to calm down. Which includes a variety of things I do to calm down my entire system. That ranges from stretching my ears every day, massaging them in a variety of ways, doing self-acupuncture in my ear areas, besides using DMSO (though I've been fairly negligent on that recently).

Most recently I discovered a supplement that seems to calm down my nervous system and my tinnitus. I'm guessing it probably helps my hyperacusis as well. I took some with me when I went to see my chiropractor last week, and he tried it while he worked on me. Before I left, he said that he definitely noticed a calming effect. The way I see it, anything that can calm things down is likely to (at least marginally) help with our overall hyperacusis/tinnitus situation.

Source Naturals Serene Science, GABA Calm - Supports A Calming Mood, Quick Dissolving Orange Flavor - 120 Lozenges

I also take the following supplement, which I think complements the above one really well.

Source Naturals Coenzymate B Complex - Orange Flavor That Melts in Mouth - B Vitamins - 120 Lozenges

So, just to clarify, the symptoms it helped were the fluttering ear drum upon certain sounds and the little clicks in the eardrum that sometimes happen for no reason?
Hi @BigLad -- That sounds about right. I should mention however, that in those early days of my extremely severe tinnitus/hyperacusis, I don't think anything would have made an improvement right away. I "suspect" that the regular DMSO applications did have at least a marginal effect on my ears improving, but it took over two years for that gradual improvement to begin.

I was doing many other things in addition to the DMSO during those two years that I think also gave me at least marginal improvement. My own take is that it's seldom one thing (silver bullet) is going to give us the relief we need and want. It's more likely that a thousand and one little things can make a difference however. That's what seems to be the case for me.

Hi @Aaron91 -- I no longer have my Alpha-Stim unit (got burned in a house fire). I used it regularly when I only had hyperacusis (I didn't get tinnitus until Feb. 4, 2018). I really don't recall whether or not Alpha-Stim affected my hyperacusis one way or another. I never had it in mind that it might help, so I never really tried to tune into it.

When I got tinnitus in 2018 from a single dose of an anti-nausea medication, my fairly difficult hyperacusis went into overdrive. It was pretty unbelievable how even peeing was too much for my fragile ears (had to start peeing like a girl lol). It was very difficult for the next 2 years or so before it started to noticeably improve. In the past couple years, I'd say it's not only returned to baseline, but seems to have improved even more from that baseline.

I credit that to some kind of combination of a wide variety of things I've done to try to get my tinnitus to calm down. Which includes a variety of things I do to calm down my entire system. That ranges from stretching my ears every day, massaging them in a variety of ways, doing self-acupuncture in my ear areas, besides using DMSO (though I've been fairly negligent on that recently).

Most recently I discovered a supplement that seems to calm down my nervous system and my tinnitus. I'm guessing it probably helps my hyperacusis as well. I took some with me when I went to see my chiropractor last week, and he tried it while he worked on me. Before I left, he said that he definitely noticed a calming effect. The way I see it, anything that can calm things down is likely to (at least marginally) help with our overall hyperacusis/tinnitus situation.

Source Naturals Serene Science, GABA Calm - Supports A Calming Mood, Quick Dissolving Orange Flavor - 120 Lozenges

I also take the following supplement, which I think complements the above one really well.

Source Naturals Coenzymate B Complex - Orange Flavor That Melts in Mouth - B Vitamins - 120 Lozenges
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I've just ordered my own micro current device so it will be interesting to see if I have any results. I think the MOA is slightly different to to your Alpha-Stim. Did you have any sound-induced neuralgia in your jaw?

Do you think it would be a bad idea to insert DMSO + Magnesium oil directly into the ear? Either via dropper or by putting some on a Q-Tip and rubbing inside the ear?
I don't think you would cease the spams simply by inserting DMSO + Magnesium oil near the eardrum. TTTS is probably caused by muscle tension. This is probably why you had some improvement with chiropractic treatment and @Lane had success with this combo.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now