Do We Live in Simulation?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Óscar PP, Aug 27, 2024.

1. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I recently had a dream (more like a nightmare) where scientists discovered that we were all living in a simulation.

Somehow, they managed to access the supercomputer that created it, and they decided to "unplug" it, so to speak, because they thought it would be best for all of us. Before doing so, they gave humanity seven days to say goodbye to their loved ones and make peace with everything. Then, little by little, things started disappearing until it was just me and my family holding hands, and finally, we disintegrated into "pixels."

I know, my mind comes up with some really strange stuff, but that dream made me start looking into the simulation hypothesis—something I had never taken seriously before. Now, I’m more inclined to believe it might actually be true.

What do you guys think? Is the life we experience real, or is it just an incredibly realistic kind of video game?

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    2. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      If it is a simulation, it is run by an evil psychopath(s) who gets high from people's misery. Tinnitus and a few other illnesses are the ultimate punishment for their simulation's subjects.

I honestly hope not. We live in a chaos. It explains tinnitus fairly well.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. BB23
      Insomnious

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics and mirtazapine
    4. Bob3382
      Stressed

Bob3382 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible ear infection, unknown
      What a question. I think, therefore I am. We are not a simulation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      We certainly do not live in chaos. The laws of physics bind our tridimensional space-time reality. It even has absolute magnitudes that cannot be surpassed, such as the speed of light in a vacuum or the lowest possible temperature of −273.15 °C.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sure the AI we program in a future simulation will reach to the same conclusion.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      BRB, blasting my Sims characters with loud music really quickly.

So, a simulation, you say?

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. ECP

ECP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      being a caregiver for an elderly lady who is hard of hearing
      I don't think we're literally living in a simulation, but it certainly feels that way because of how surreal our lives have become. No matter what I try, I can't get well. It's like I keep failing and failing and failing, and I can't find a way out. If this were a video game, I could go online and look up some "cheats" and "walk-throughs" that can tell me exactly how to get unstuck and finish the game successfully. But since it isn't a video game, I'm left to my own devices.

Thank goodness for this website. It's the only place I know where other people are in similar circumstances, and we can learn from each other.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Anomalous
      Roflmao

Anomalous Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, stress
      This is one of those things that is impossible to falsify because, for every argument against it, you can move the goalposts indefinitely. It's the same thing with flat earthers and believers in the Easter Bunny.

If you're looking for an actual mechanism that will instantly wipe out humanity and eventually the entire universe, then you're in luck: it's called false vacuum decay.

Here's a video if you like to sleep at night:

The Most Efficient Way to Destroy the Universe...

(Just kidding, you really shouldn't worry about this happening at all.)