• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Does Acoustic Neuroma Cause Hyperacusis?

AnotherProblem

Author
Jun 25, 2018
Tinnitus Since
Monday, June 18th, 2018
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
I woke up last week on Monday morning before a dental appointment (which I was anxious about) and noticed that my voice was vibrating in my left ear in a really noticeable, uncomfortable way. What's funny is it actually went away for several hours and I was fine during the dental appointment.

At this point, I thought it was related to anxiety. How wrong I was.

It returned in the evening, then stayed with me into Tuesday morning and all day Tuesday. I went to bed and woke up and it seemed to be gone all of Wednesday. Woke up Thursday and thought I could feel it coming on, but got up and it seemed to dissipate, although I didn't feel as good as I did on Wednesday.

Then Friday, it returned, and it has been intractable ever since. The sensitivity to noise seems to be getting worse. I mentioned on the tinnitus support forum how I took a trip to the supermarket and it was excruciating. That same trip a day or two before was manageable.

Of particular note is that it seems to be LOW frequency sounds that kill my ear. The air conditioning fan saturates my ear drum to the point where I get a full feeling and am more or less numb to the wobbling discomfort for when these noises first hit. The low tones in the car engine as I'm driving kill me. All the machines in the supermarket...even those dozens of feet away...sounded like they were pressed against my ear. Low tones in cars as they pass by kill me. The thunder in today's thunderstorm bothered me.

Taking a shower is miserable. I reached the point of ear drum saturation, but then I felt quite a bit dizzy.

Based on the fact that my sinuses are as clear as ever, and the sudden onset, I'm thinking it's more likely a tumor. But there doesn't seem to be a great amount of clear literature on exactly how common hyperacusis is for acoustic neuroma, and vice versa.

Nor does there seem to be anything specifying which frequencies of sound you have sensitivity to mean what.

My other thought is a regular brain tumor, either a primary or a metastasis from some other cancer. I've had all kinds of weird symptoms over the past several months that I thought seemed to be paraneoplastic in nature, but I could never find any clear information on that either.

But there doesn't seem to be a great amount of clear literature on exactly how common hyperacusis is for acoustic neuroma, and vice versa.

Without knowing anything about your history, the reason that there isn't any clear literature is that you don't get hyperacusis with an acoustic neuroma in my experience.

AN's are very, very rare and do not present the symptoms that you describe. Sounds like you are worrying over nothing.

Have you had a full diagnostic workup and MRI scan?

Without knowing anything about your history, the reason that there isn't any clear literature is that you don't get hyperacusis with an acoustic neuroma in my experience.

AN's are very, very rare and do not present the symptoms that you describe. Sounds like you are worrying over nothing.

Have you had a full diagnostic workup and MRI scan?

If it's not an acoustic neuroma, I guess it's a malignant brain tumor then? I don't see any other plausible explanation for sudden, intractable hyperacusis in one ear.

I'm extremely hesitant to go to the doctor, because my philosophy with cancer symptoms is, unless it's a really early melanoma (in situ), I don't want to know. Not only because of the piss-poor prognosis for most cancers that would ruin my life with anxiety even if I were to survive them, but because of the treatments involved. I've never even had surgery. I'm scared of anesthesia and the whole process with that. I had a colonoscopy 8+ years ago, but that was with propofol, which apparently doesn't remove consciousness (although the anesthesiologist assured me I would be "out like a light" during the procedure).

The problem is, this is destroying my life anyway. Leaving my apartment and trying to drive is miserable and dangerous.

I also don't even know where to begin with doctors. For starters, I would have to find one...and find one that takes my insurance. Then I would have to actually get to the building somehow, but each time I drive, I'm more likely to get in an accident than someone driving with a BAC of .30.

And in my experience with doctors, they're hesitant to do anything, anyway. For most doctors, I think, anything that isn't screaming out a warning sign is going to be diagnosed as something minor/normal.

If it's not an acoustic neuroma, I guess it's a malignant brain tumor then? I don't see any other plausible explanation for sudden, intractable hyperacusis in one ear.

Why are you so focused on cancer? There's many other root causes for H. AFAIK, cancer's not at the top of the usual suspect list when looking at H.

Get checked by a doctor. I'd start with an ENT doc. If you express your worries about an acoustic neuroma, he is likely to send you out for an MRI.

You won't know if you have neuroma unless you have an MRI. It's not simply something one can diagnose on their own. Cancer is likely the least thing to cause hyperacusis. And even then brain tumors generally, the symptoms come up periodically and slowly progress for months. Not weeks or days. And I'm pretty sure the symptoms would be localized to the ear (if it was neuroma), aka hearing loss, Tinnitis, vertigo, hyperacusis

Hyperacusis can come on suddenly. Acoustic shock and trauma are the most common. It could be that. It could be an ear infection. It could be a disease in the auditory nerve. It could be menieres disease. There are plenty of other things that could have caused it. Even if it's in one ear.

I wouldn't just go assume cancer it's very unlikely, get an MRI with earplugs in and you'll find out if it's cancer or not.

See, but the whole reason they do the MRI is to check for a tumor.

If it's a malignant tumor, I'm dead. If it's not a malignant tumor, there's nothing they can do anyway, unless it's an acoustic neuroma, but I don't think I would go for either of the treatments. If it's surgery, I've never had real anesthesia and the idea of it scares the shit out of me. If it's radiation...I'm guessing that puts you at a higher risk for developing secondary cancers. No thanks.

So there's no point in going to a doctor.

I don't see what it could possibly be besides a tumor. I never listen to loud stuff. I haven't had the flu or a cold or anything. My sinuses are clear.

See, but the whole reason they do the MRI is to check for a tumor.

Yes.

If it's a malignant tumor, I'm dead. If it's not a malignant tumor, there's nothing they can do anyway, unless it's an acoustic neuroma, but I don't think I would go for either of the treatments. If it's surgery, I've never had real anesthesia and the idea of it scares the shit out of me. If it's radiation...I'm guessing that puts you at a higher risk for developing secondary cancers. No thanks.

There is an outcome you are missing: "there is no tumor".

So there's no point in going to a doctor.

Aside from possibly saving your life if there is a tumor, you can stop ruminating about cancer and stop your catastrophic thinking in its track if you get a result that says you have no tumor (which is the most likely outcome by far).

I don't see what it could possibly be besides a tumor. I never listen to loud stuff. I haven't had the flu or a cold or anything. My sinuses are clear.

You don't see what it could possibly be because you are not a doctor and are not qualified for self diagnosis. There are many reasons that can cause H.

Yes.

There is an outcome you are missing: "there is no tumor".

Aside from possibly saving your life if there is a tumor, you can stop ruminating about cancer and stop your catastrophic thinking in its track if you get a result that says you have no tumor (which is the most likely outcome by far).

You don't see what it could possibly be because you are not a doctor and are not qualified for self diagnosis. There are many reasons that can cause H.

You won't save your life if there's a brain tumor. Brain tumor = terminal. Every time.

I would rather live in fear of cancer than know I have it.

And whatever "peace of mind" I would get with no tumor detected would be undermined by the fact that I have incurable hyperacusis. "OK, it's not a tumor, so we don't know what's causing it."

There's just no point in going to a doctor.

Think you need to see a psychiatrist....

Why? So they can ask me a bunch of questions and say nothing in response, as they did when I saw them on and off for 20 years?

Here's the thing: I don't care whether or not my thinking is "rational." I'm aware of the fact that logically, it seems pointless to avoid a cancer diagnosis because you're going to find out one way or another eventually. I don't care. I follow my gut...and my gut is telling me that whatever little time I have left to have any remote enjoyment out of life, I should take. A cancer diagnosis would end it. Even if I survived cancer, it would end it, because I would never stop being legitimately terrified of it returning.

I can handle it when I still have a reasonable doubt in my mind. An actual diagnosis would end that reasonable doubt and make my own mortality completely real to me, and I'm not strong enough to handle it.

You won't save your life if there's a brain tumor. Brain tumor = terminal. Every time.

I would rather live in fear of cancer than know I have it.

And whatever "peace of mind" I would get with no tumor detected would be undermined by the fact that I have incurable hyperacusis. "OK, it's not a tumor, so we don't know what's causing it."

There's just no point in going to a doctor.
Actual no. That is not true.

I know someone who had an acoustic neuroma. They had surgery, the tumor was removed, and they are still alive 10 years later.

And I have a family member who had an aggressive malignant brain tumor. They had surgery, the tumor was removed, underwent additional cancer treatments, and five years later are doing well.

Five-year survival rates for brain cancer depend on many factors, including age and if the tumor is caught early. A chart on this page illustrates some of the more common types and their survival rates: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/brain...tection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.html

Furthermore, hyperacusis can improve and in some cases go away. Of course, it's unlikely to go away if you continue to exist is a state of high anxiety.

Actual no. That is not true.

I know someone who had an acoustic neuroma. They had surgery, the tumor was removed, and they are still alive 10 years later.

And I have a family member who had an aggressive malignant brain tumor. They had surgery, the tumor was removed, underwent additional cancer treatments, and five years later are doing well.

Five-year survival rates for brain cancer depend on many factors, including age and if the tumor is caught early. A chart on this page illustrates some of the more common types and their survival rates: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/brain...tection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.html

Furthermore, hyperacusis can improve and in some cases go away. Of course, it's unlikely to go away if you continue to exist is a state of high anxiety.

I'm not talking about acoustic neuroma. I'm talking about a malignant tumor.

You can find some people who survived brain tumors, but you can also find some people who won the lottery.

I'm not talking about acoustic neuroma. I'm talking about a malignant tumor.

You can find some people who survived brain tumors, but you can also find some people who won the lottery.
Did you see the link I posted? The chances of surviving a malignant brain tumor are better than the odds of wining the lottery.

Did you see the link I posted? The chances of surviving a malignant brain tumor are better than the odds of wining the lottery.

Doesn't matter anyway. I can't do surgery. I'm terrified of anesthesia (even since I learned it's the equivalent to knocking you into a coma/removing consciousness) and even more terrified of it wearing off during the procedure.

I was reading this feed and I wanted to relay my experience and symptoms. I also would like to state, I have a medical background of 18 years as well.

In 2015, I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma of 2 cm. I have had tinnitus and hyperacusis since on the affected side.

I am deaf after surgery in 2017 on my left side, with hyperacusis on the right. They are two very conflicting and distressing problems. I had surgery in 2017 resulting in a subtotal removal of the tumor from the nerve. This means they had to leave a small portion of the tumor on the nerve. During surgery, the nerve was becoming irritated as they monitored it and doctors decided to leave a little bit behind the size of a pencil eraser or I could have become paralyzed in the face on the affected side from the nerve deteriorating. I have constant tinnitus and hyperacusis which both began before my surgery. What prompted me in seeing the doctor were both of those symptoms in addition to balance issues and numbness on the left side of my tongue.

The hyperacusis and tinnitus is definitely from the tumor on the 8th cranial nerve. The tinnitus is at a frequency of 10,000 Hz. The hyperacusis I experience goes like this. I can be lying down relaxed and a slight rub on my pillow will sound like an explosion. I can be in a room with two people talking and cannot handle the sound from multiple sources. Multiple sounds in the environment can can be excruciating. I have had injuries as a result of this. I broke a toe in my foot, I have tripped and fallen three times since my surgery from confusion and disorientation. I get disoriented, overwhelmed and anxious from a disturbance in direction of sound, multiple sounds, and volume of sound. This causes immediate confusion and stress resulting in a sudden surge in anxiety and panic. It also at times develops into full blown panic attacks. I literally feel as if I have neurologically related post surgical PTSD. All of it is direct nerve related with the brain.

I have an appointment with a neurologist to try to help mitigate these symptoms in December.

I just wanted to share how I am affected by tinnitus and related hyperacusis. It is a difficult thing to deal with on a daily basis. I wish you all the best.

I was reading this feed and I wanted to relay my experience and symptoms. I also would like to state, I have a medical background of 18 years as well.

In 2015, I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma of 2 cm. I have had tinnitus and hyperacusis since on the affected side.

I am deaf after surgery in 2017 on my left side, with hyperacusis on the right. They are two very conflicting and distressing problems. I had surgery in 2017 resulting in a subtotal removal of the tumor from the nerve. This means they had to leave a small portion of the tumor on the nerve. During surgery, the nerve was becoming irritated as they monitored it and doctors decided to leave a little bit behind the size of a pencil eraser or I could have become paralyzed in the face on the affected side from the nerve deteriorating. I have constant tinnitus and hyperacusis which both began before my surgery. What prompted me in seeing the doctor were both of those symptoms in addition to balance issues and numbness on the left side of my tongue.

The hyperacusis and tinnitus is definitely from the tumor on the 8th cranial nerve. The tinnitus is at a frequency of 10,000 Hz. The hyperacusis I experience goes like this. I can be lying down relaxed and a slight rub on my pillow will sound like an explosion. I can be in a room with two people talking and cannot handle the sound from multiple sources. Multiple sounds in the environment can can be excruciating. I have had injuries as a result of this. I broke a toe in my foot, I have tripped and fallen three times since my surgery from confusion and disorientation. I get disoriented, overwhelmed and anxious from a disturbance in direction of sound, multiple sounds, and volume of sound. This causes immediate confusion and stress resulting in a sudden surge in anxiety and panic. It also at times develops into full blown panic attacks. I literally feel as if I have neurologically related post surgical PTSD. All of it is direct nerve related with the brain.

I have an appointment with a neurologist to try to help mitigate these symptoms in December.

I just wanted to share how I am affected by tinnitus and related hyperacusis. It is a difficult thing to deal with on a daily basis. I wish you all the best.
My god this sounds awful. Have you had to deal with this severity of symptoms since the surgery in 2017? Nothing has improved over time? Do you have tinnitus perceived in the deaf ear, only the hearing ear or both?

My heart goes out to you. I hope the neurologist is able to do something for you.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now