• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Ear Clicking and Thumping — Stapedial Myoclonus?

hans799

Author
Benefactor
Hall of Fame
Mar 2, 2017
Hungary
Tinnitus Since
Born with it
Cause of Tinnitus
Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
Lots of ear issues this year. In the beginning of the year, I had a tinnitus spike caused by Lenire. That mercifully ceased a few weeks after I stopped the Lenire treatment. Then I had an episode of pulsatile tinnitus. Also cleared up after I got new mattresses/pillow/standing desk, was probably a neck/posture issue (MRA came back negative so brain arteries are OK).

And now... ear clicking and thumping. If I rub my earlobe, or talk, I get a thump once I finish.

Also, I get clicks deep within the ear. They come spontaneously. Often just one click every few hours; sometimes clusters of several clicks, then a minute or two of quiet, then another burst of clicks. They're not Morse-like pure tones, but "biological"-feeling clicks.

Any guesses to what the hell these are?

Also, I get clicks deep within the ear. They come spontaneously. Often just one click every few hours; sometimes clusters of several clicks, then a minute or two of quiet, then another burst of clicks. They're not Morse-like pure tones, but "biological"-feeling clicks.

Any guesses to what the hell these are?
I don't know what they are but I have these also. Mine began after osteoma removal surgery. As you say, sometimes it's few clicks throughout an entire day, other days for me it's literally hundreds. Last night I apparently rolled onto my right ear and slept on it. Today my ear has probably clicked at least 100 times an hour.

Other than typewriter tinnitus, I haven't found much info on what it could be. My surgeon was of no help. He just told me give it time to resolve. It's been over a year now.

I found this article:

An endless 'clicking' noise was driving her 'crazy' for a year. Finally, a doctor listened—and diagnosed her in 5 minutes.

I don't think this is my issue, but will probably see if I can get it checked into.

I actually wonder if it's objective because it does feel like an organic clicking sensation. It's tolerable except on days like this where it's almost constant. I just worry about it progressing to being constant.

I found that 25 mg of broad-spectrum, THC-free CBD (cannabidiol) calms down the clicks for a good 5-6 hours after taking it. It's available in Hungary but its legal environment was tricky. However, the EU has just declared it fully legal in very recent days, so it should stay available and probably also go down in price. Seems like I'm on weed extract from now on! :D 420 Blaze It, folks!

In my left ear once or twice per day I hear 'pop', almost can feel it. But in my right ear, I believe I have TTTS because I can feel this thumping. Magnesium calms it down a lot for me, maybe try to take some supplements too.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now