stophiss

Author
Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Tinnitus Since
April 2016
Cause of Tinnitus
too full a life
Since we do a lot of speculation on this forum based upon almost a mystical cause and effect to our tinnitus,
I thought I would dare to posit a question about electrical stimulation of the head and brain and hearing apparatus which has manifested reduction in tinnitus for a notable population of tinnitus sufferers tested compared to a control group of those unstimulated (placebo) when tested side by side.

To me, because tinnitus seems to be our electrical system gone amuck due to a variety of reasons often discussed...we are basically electrochemical machines and both electricity and chemicals and which neurons fire can change with time, electrical stimulation to redirect these neural pathways to avert the brain's perception of tinnitus seems plausible...as we were before.

Here is a good article that discusses testing:
http://faculty.sites.uci.edu/hesplab/files/2015/08/2015-Zeng-Djalilian-Lin-Current-Opinion.pdf

In the summary/conclusion it states that diversity of causal factors to tinnitus clouds judgment as to which precise type of electrical stimulation can or should be used specific to the individual which also makes sense. My counterpoint however is, why can't a flowchart of test methodology be conceived to narrow down the cause of tinnitus for each of us...as we each have a different reason but each of us likely fall into sub groups of why we contracted T. Say there are 5 core reasons for tinnitus and a couple may not even be treatable with electrical stimulation...or shouldn't be.

My thought is, if this study manifests reduction or elimination of tinnitus based upon testing, why isn't this protocol implemented as a known cure to tinnitus for perhaps a subset? Why not start to help these sub group of suffers now...or soon. Results in this study have to give hope that a cure may even be available today for a subset of those with tinnitus. Some of the test subjects had to be pleased walking away from the test with their tinnitus suppressed if not resolved. This subgroup could even include many from this forum for example.

To those on here quite knowledgeable about current tinnitus research, do you have a vision based upon what you know when a given protocol of electrical stimulation as described in the PDF study, when it may become available as an accepted cure even if short term to those with a given type of tinnitus. I have to believe the different types of tinnitus can be deduced with strategic testing to determine if a given candidate qualifies for an electrical stimulation method that has proven to help a substantial subgroup of those tested.

Further thoughts?

PS: to use myself as an example. I have a common high frequency hiss to my tinnitus with mild H or sound sensitivity however pretty good hearing throughout the frequency spectrum.

Written in the article;

Promontory or round-window stimulation is appropriate
for patients with high-frequency tinnitus and normal
audiograms because its minimally invasive approach
will likely preserve hearing while stimulating the basal
turn neurons that might be detached from the inner
hair cells.

Many on this forum and myself for example maybe candidates right now for this relatively non invasive electrical stimulation method specific to our T type. Our T type which creates a high frequency hiss maybe due to basal turn neurons detached from the inner hair cells as stated. This type of electrical stimulus sounds like 'low hanging fruit' because invasive surgical intervention isn't required. So I wonder when different techniques or going to be approved to help different sub groups with tinnitus.

Is the treatment available anywhere?
Not that I know of and presume further barriers have to be crossed such that any of proposed protocols gain a needed level of efficacy.
If you peruse the studies, some who participate are helped and others aren't. Then there is the time duration factor. How long would tinnitus suppression last before it defaults back to original status due to neural plasticity that refuses to change...or stubborn to. I believe this is what muddies the water about any of these protocols becoming available. Lets say you paid your hard earned money only to find out after the procedure your tinnitus didn't change...even though a given procedure may help 1 in 2.

I was at UCI last weekend and participated in the study. They might be open to volunteers of you contact them at the hearing and speech lab. It was an interesting way to spend the day.They may be on to something. My pulsatile tinnitus made it hard to see a big difference in my noise but I did think it helped a little.

Systematic Review on Intra- and Extracochlear Electrical Stimulation for Tinnitus

I decided not to create a new thread but to relay this publication under this thread, even if the "electrical stimulation" domain is quite big.

My humble opinion is: Paradoxically, it will be easier to evaluate the intracochlear electrical stimulation because the machines on the market will be standardized, will be computer controllable and will easily allow all ranges to be simulated. In addition, they are permanently placed. So the invasive aspect is limited to a single surgical operation. On the other hand, extracochlear stimulation will remain in the experimental field for a long time, will take various forms (we are going to grope). In addition, unless I misunderstood, these techniques are paradoxically invasive, because they cannot remain permanently, need to be installed and uninstalled and can only act for the time of experimentation.

Attachments

• brainsci-11-01394-v2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now