• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

ENT Said I'm Too Young to Have Hyperacusis and That It's Just Anxiety

So I finally got in to see an ENT yesterday.

He ordered an MRI to rule out anything serious, did a few checks, then said I'm fine and to learn to live with it. Also said I can't have hyperacusis because I'm too young (I'm 33), that only older people get it due to age-related cochlear damage. He said it's just anxiety and not actually hyperacusis.
wtf.jpg

Hey @Ultraviolet87, I was wondering how are you going these days? It seems we got tinnitus and hyperacusis at the same time so just curious how your symptoms are going.

Patient: "Doctor I have been suffering from really bad back pain for a while now."

90% of doctors: "It's probably from stress. Please pay at the reception. Bye!"

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Patient: "Doctor I have been suffering from really bad back pain for a while now."

90% of doctors: "It's probably from stress. Please pay at the reception. Bye!"

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Doctors chalking things up to psychosomatic conditions when people are honestly suffering is disgraceful. It's a failure of the system (US in particular). There are people out there who have lost so much quality of life because their conditions were downplayed and flagged as anxiety issues. And I'm not denying psychosomatic conditions because it's real too but there's need to be better judgement calls.

That is definitely hyperacusis as I have the same symptoms. I think over time the hyperacusis will settle to a monotone tinnitus, but I'm not there yet. Make sure to sleep with a small fan on so the nerves have something to cling onto.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now