Experiencing Palinacousis, Reactive Tinnitus, TTTS, and ETD — Any Link Between All of This?

This question wasn't directed at me, but I did have this wretched condition (palinacousis) for quite a while. The mimicry came and went sporadically. Eventually it stopped altogether. I would say it took about a year and a half to fully dissipate for me. I remember sirens, car honks, and helicopter rotor noise would trigger my palinacousis very easily. Even after the sound stopped, my auditory system would continue to echo and replicate these noises. Enough to make someone feel mentally ill, to be honest.
Hey @ZFire, thanks for replying.

Those types of noises are definitely a trigger for the echoing for me too. First time it happened (February 2022) I was in the early stages of finding out what was happening with my ears & was at a local urgent care facility. They took my temperature via the ear but failed to let me know that the ear thermometer makes a loud beep, that time I had not only the pain from the hyperacusis but kept hearing the beep for hours. Didn't know what was going on.

Happy to know it can dissipate, but almost 2 years later & it doesn't seem to be fading at all for me. Still get strong echoing from sirens, alarms, car engines or helicopter noise etc. It's making me start to second guess myself & I've started asking my family if they can hear a noise too or if it is just me.

I feel like with the tinnitus, hyperacusis, musical tinnitus, & this I should just about have a full house on 'strange issues with the auditory system' bingo.

Happy to know it can dissipate, but almost 2 years later & it doesn't seem to be fading at all for me. Still get strong echoing from sirens, alarms, car engines or helicopter noise etc. It's making me start to second guess myself & I've started asking my family if they can hear a noise too or if it is just me.
Yeah, the mind games over whether the noise was still there... I've been there too. My parents thought I was talking crazy. Such an isolating condition to have...

I think one of the worse parts of palinacousis is how easily it can be triggered. It doesn't need much—loud noises don't matter. Just hearing distant of faint sounds of sirens was enough to set it off.

It's unfortunate that you're still not coping with it. I know how rough it is. Let's hope you'll get to a point of stabilization soon. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a permanent case of palinacousis on here or elsewhere. A positive sign for you.

Yeah, the mind games over whether the noise was still there... I've been there too. My parents thought I was talking crazy. Such an isolating condition to have...

I think one of the worse parts of palinacousis is how easily it can be triggered. It doesn't need much—loud noises don't matter. Just hearing distant of faint sounds of sirens was enough to set it off.

It's unfortunate that you're still not coping with it. I know how rough it is. Let's hope you'll get to a point of stabilization soon. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a permanent case of palinacousis on here or elsewhere. A positive sign for you.
Thanks, that is reassuring. I'm wondering if mine is linked into everything else I have & won't fade until that does. It's not the worst issue I have with my ears but it's not fun either.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now