Eye Issues with Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by haha ear go eeee, Jun 25, 2023.

1. haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      I've noticed some weird symptoms since the onset of my hyperacusis.

I have the pain kind (I still don't know if it's solely inner ear or middle ear related) and I think I'm starting to have issues with my eyes, but I'm not exactly sure if it's related to the hyperacusis. I've noticed my eyes feel more blurry than usual (I already have bad eyesight) and an increase in my light sensitivity, where an exposure to light just gave me a splitting headache. I don't think I have symptoms of visual snow though.

Anyone have any experience with these symptoms?

2. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock/noise-induced
      Me! Also watery eyes, pressure behind eyes (especially one), & flashes in the corners of my eyes when lying down for sleep at night. I'm getting my eyes checked just to be safe, but it all started with my hyperacusis, so I think it's related. Though the light sensitivity could also be because we're indoors so much these days.

I read a comment where someone said a doctor mentioned that it's like a mild TBI/concussion. Crazy stuff!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      I'm sorry about your symptoms, but I'm really glad I'm not alone in this!

Also, that is really interesting? I can't wait to find out what exactly "shifts" in our brain when we develop hyperacusis. I wonder if it's those potassium channels closing? It could also explain why some people get it from severe stress, brain injuries, and neck trauma, if it's compared to those things.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      haha ear go eeee

haha ear go eeee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis
      Were you able to pinpoint anything that worsened or improved your eye symptoms? Any medications? Are you still looking into potassium channel openers as a treatment despite eye issues?

5. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey,

I actually recently saw an ophthalmologist & was diagnosed with blepharitis, so that explains some of the symptoms (e.g., blurry vision, sensitivity to light). So that's something to consider. Still don't know about the flashing lights though!

Migraine would be another good thing to rule out; they asked me about that.

Smiles,
      Maddy

• Like Like x 1
    6. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      I assume you got some eyedrops etc. to take care of the blepharitis?

What helped me the most, except for time, was to drink tonic water with quinine (believe it or not).

...and daily heat pads + massage of the eyes until it started calming down.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. MadeleineHope
      Inspired

MadeleineHope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't have anything yet. I was not prescribed anything, but suggested eye drops & daily heat treatments. I'm hoping to purchase some natural eye drops.

As for the quinine, I happened to read yesterday that it's ototoxic?

Did you feel an oily discharge in your eye(s) by the way? This is my most annoying symptom.

Thanks,
      Maddy

8. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Quinine in such small doses is not ototoxic, no @MadeleineHope.

I had no oily discharge, but a lot of tearing. I had twitching upper eyelid for 4 months straight though...

9. AvidReader
      Tired

AvidReader Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/Eustachian Tube Dysfunction/TMJ/Meniere's??
      Yes, I have eye symptoms but they started before the ears became really bad. I've had tinnitus for over 15 years, developed eye symptoms over the past couple of years, & my tinnitus became reactive with hyperacusis & MES last year.

I get the blurring, increased eye floaters (but not visual snow), occasional flashes of light when eyes are closed, increased light sensitivity etc. I've had them properly examined several times & they are physically ok - no retinal detachment or glaucoma etc.
      My eyes have also become very dry, constantly having to use prescribed eye drops. Was told I have Sjogren's/Sicca but my blood test for Sjogren's was negative (although you can have it & be sero-negative) & they won't send me for the lip biopsy. It explains some of the symptoms but not all.

Migraines are interesting. I used to get terrible migraines as a teenager where I would temporarily lose my sight but they faded after I reached about 21 years of age. When the odd eye symptoms started the ophthalmologist did mention ocular (& ENT mentioned aural) migraines where you can have some of the symptoms we've described but without pain. It's all very interesting - is it all somehow linked? No idea, but odd we are all experiencing overlapping symptoms in other areas than just the ears.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Pain hyperacusis produces pain that irradiates through your face and sometimes one may feel pressure around the eyes, and behind the eyes. It is pain that irradiates through your head.