• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Finding a Therapist

meredsm

Author
Oct 21, 2017
Tinnitus Since
10/2017
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
Even though I got tinnitus only last Wednesday, I'm pretty sure I'm in it for the long haul. I've been a little careless when listening to a music - whether it's not using ear protection at concerts or using in-ear headphones. Coupled with the fact that I have pretty severe chronic dry eye, I was a little depressed over the weekend. I think I need to see a therapist who specializes in chronic pain management.

For those of you who currently have or have had therapists, how did you find yours? I know there are certain websites that exist as directories of therapists, but there almost seem like too many therapists.

FYI, I live in the Seattle area, so if anyone could recommend a therapist in the area who specializes in chronic pain, that would be awesome.

I found my therapist through a friend's recommendation. Doctors can also provide recommendations. I would look for a CBT therapist, they often work with patients who have chronic pain.

Good luck!

@meredsm
Please go to my "started threads" and read my articles: Tinnitus, A Personal View and Hyperacusis, As I see it.
Since you have noise trauma to your auditory system I advise you not to start treatment such as CBT or TRT at the moment. It is far too soon. Your emotions stress levels are all over the place at the moment and this needs time to settle. Please read my articles: when should TRT be started, this also applies to CBT

What you need at this moment is something to help manage your stress. Anti depressants can be helpful or other medication. I am not using my regular PC at the moment otherwise I'd paste the links to my articles here. Please go to my started threads and peruse the list. Speak to your GP. I strongly advise you not to start any long term treatment at the moment. A Hearing therapsist can help with counselling but to be honest, I believe it's too early at this time.

All the best
Michael

Seeing a therapist early on is what helped me cope with my stress. The depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts. Honestly I wish that I had started with a therapist sooner.

Since you already are dealing with a chronic health condition, I am sure the new addition of tinnitus is difficult. Hopefully a therapist can help you with both.

Even though I got tinnitus only last Wednesday, I'm pretty sure I'm in it for the long haul. I've been a little careless when listening to a music - whether it's not using ear protection at concerts or using in-ear headphones. Coupled with the fact that I have pretty severe chronic dry eye, I was a little depressed over the weekend. I think I need to see a therapist who specializes in chronic pain management.

For those of you who currently have or have had therapists, how did you find yours? I know there are certain websites that exist as directories of therapists, but there almost seem like too many therapists.

FYI, I live in the Seattle area, so if anyone could recommend a therapist in the area who specializes in chronic pain, that would be awesome.

@meredsm

Please read the articles that I have written in the links below. If you have a printer then I advise you to print them.
Best of luck

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-

mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-
mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/conversations/hello.41497/#message-196000

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-answers.22554/

Thanks for the info, Michael. I guess I should have specified what kind of therapist I'm looking for. I'm not looking to do TRT yet, I'm just looking for someone who can get me emotionally stable. As Tinker Bell mentioned, I think it will help me become more positive about my situation.

Would you still advise against seeing a psychologist or similar type of therapist at this point?

Would you still advise against seeing a psychologist or similar type of therapist at this point?

A psychologist knows nothing about tinnitus. If you want therapy you have to see someone that knows about tinnitus and this is a hearing therapist. Many of my articles explain about this. I had noise induced tinnitus just like you so I know all about it believe me.

Take your time and read my articles and then decide what to do. You must not rush this. See a Hearing therapist and I advise you not to start CBT now. Leave that for at least 3 months. More information is in my articles. First read: New to tinnitus what to do.

Michael

How long have you dealt with chronic dry eye? I have eye issues, too. Given that you already have a chronic health condition, I am unsure why you would need to wait to see a therapist.

—————
EDIT: I just saw your intro post. Five years of chronic dry eye — I'm sorry. Vision problems coupled with hearing problems is very challenging. I can definitely understand why you would seek a CBT therapist.
—————

I guess consider your therapy goal. Is it for help managing your tinnitus? Then maybe wait. But is it for help managing your overall stress from chronic health concerns? Then why wait?

The counseling by my CBT therapist matches what audiologists outlined for me would be the therapy they recommend — minus wearing noise generators. But they told me with technology today, it's easy to do your own sound therapy at home, work, or in the car. That was one huge benefit of speaking with audiologists, they gave me a list of sound apps, advice on ear protection, and helpful tips for my hearing loss.

Check your insurance, too. Mine covered CBT but not TRT. I felt a licensed psychologist would be better trained regarding stress management, anxiety, depression coping skills, etc. versus an audiologist. Especially since, like you, I also have other health concerns. It seemed silly to see an audiologist for only one of my health concerns when a CBT therapist could address all of them.

Don't bother they're useless.

You know @threefirefour, for some people on TT, in situations much more dire than yours, psychological intervention was the ONLY thing that's actually helped them, of all the various options newcomers to tinnitus reach for.

We know there's nothing out there we can do or take that will cure tinnitus, but there are things that can chip at the edges of our symptoms, in order to reach at least a better mindset with this condition.

I actually don't mind your sometimes edgy, cynical take on various issues that arise on this board. I can see it for what it is and it can make me smile, but saying things like that to newcomers, is so counterproductive to their cause, especially in their acute stages. Unless of course, you've arrived at a treatment protocol that is superior. I for one,would be very keen to give it a go!

You know @threefirefour, for some people on TT, in situations much more dire than yours, psychological intervention was the ONLY thing that's actually helped them, of all the various options newcomers to tinnitus reach for.

We know there's nothing out there we can do or take that will cure tinnitus, but there are things that can chip at the edges of our symptoms, in order to reach at least a better mindset with this condition.

I actually don't mind your sometimes edgy, cynical take on various issues that arise on this board. I can see it for what it is and it can make me smile, but saying things like that to newcomers, is so counterproductive to their cause, especially in their acute stages. Unless of course, you've arrived at a treatment protocol that is superior. I for one,would be very keen to give it a go!

No I just don't want to see him waste his money.

No I just don't want to see him waste his money.
For some people, seeing a therapist is not wasting their money.

It really depends on their overall health and personal life. How they best cope with anxiety, depression, etc. Even past experiences can factor in.

I do know people who would be throwing away their money with a therapist, but I also know people who get more benefit from a therapist than from antidepressants.

If anything, that is something I've come to realize: there isn't a one size fits all approach to managing tinnitus. CBT is a good resource for some, a poor resource for others. TRT works for some, it does not work for everyone. Antidepressants are a life-saver for some, others find themselves more out of sort on them. Even hearing aids do not have the same results.

There is no clear path, it's so much trial and error. That's why I like to hear about the experiences of others, so definitely share if you've had a poor experience with CBT.

And I agree with Fabrikat. I appreciate your wit and honesty here!

@Tinker Bell - What does a CBT therapist do differently than other (non-TRT) therapists?
In very simplistic terms, CBT focuses on current problems versus past issues. They work to help you manage current problems by changing how you think, react and respond to those problems.

For me, I had a very happy childhood and an overall happy life. I did not feel the need to root out any hidden issues, because I knew what the issue was: all my worries for my current and potential future health concerns. I needed the mental tools to keep my anxiety in check.

There is a CBT therapist in the doctor's corner here on TT and he's posted some helpful threads that will likely explain it far better than I can.

@meredsm

Twenty one years ago when I first got tinnitus, I started TRT 6 months after onset and I believe this treatment shouldn't be started sooner or CBT for that matter, if the purpose is to treat the tinnitus. I have explained the reasons in various posts on my "started threads". Before I started TRT, I had a few sessions of CBT but my Hearing Therapist decided to change to TRT, because my tinnitus and hyperacusis were very severe. I have written about CBT in my article: Tinnitus A Personal View, how it is used when "specifically treating tinnitus". I will paste the text below.

I wish you well.
Michael

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Tinnitus.

Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) maybe offered as a treatment for tinnitus. It can teach coping techniques to help a person deal with the negative thinking and thoughts that often accompany the condition when it's intrusive and for those that are new to it. This treatment can be practiced through a Hearing Therapist or clinical psychologist. Patients are asked to keep a diary of the times they find their tinnitus to be most annoying and distressing. Detailing the nature of the distress and what might have caused it. All this information helps the therapist to make suggestions on how to think and do things differently, which the patient might find helpful. By changing the way one looks at their tinnitus the distress is reduced and the noise becomes less noticeable.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now