First-Time Caller...

Screech

Author
Apr 29, 2013
Eugene, OR
Tinnitus Since
03/2013
Hello all. Compared to most of you, I am a noob when it comes to T. I awoke with the high-pitched variety eight weeks ago, from what appears to be ototoxicity from migraine meds and other prescriptions. I have many questions, but will not try to cover all the bases with this introductory post.

I also have the related vestibular dysfunction and hyperacusis problems (I was sensitive to sounds before, but now it seems off the charts). I've done the ENT visits, and to his defense, he held off on the MRI, and related out-of-pocket costs, until the other basic causes were eliminated. I'm off to the lab tomorrow to have the scan and rule out any cochlear tumor or similar.

I'm very encourage by this strong support community. In ways, I consider myself fortunate because the T is limited to my right ear only, and my hearing loss has only been minimal in that ear.

I look forward to learning more from all of you in the time to come.

DOUG (aka Screech)

What other prescriptions are you taking, Screech?

I am new to T also and still trying to figure out how to manage it. I see you are in Oregon? I think I remember reading a post by @erik about a tinnitus clinic in Oregon. Might be worth looking into.

Doug, you should consider contacting the OHSU Tinnitus Clinic. I went last July. It does cost money and only some insurance will cover it or part of it but they do offer payment assistance if you need it. They can do some tests, extensive hearing tests and some TRT.

1) Erik - Thanks for your suggestion. We've had other medical care at OHSU and have been very impressed with their advanced research and practice. I'll definitely inquire.
2) Goofy - Thanks for your suggestion. I see through Google that OHSU is one of a couple T clinics in the Portland area. That's just a short two-hour drive up I-5 for us.
3) Hudson - I take Verapamil for BP and migraine, Zoloft for migraine (probably the culprit) and anxiety, and a few others that are related to the massive amount of allergy triggers here in Oregon. Oh, I also have to take Vicodin as needed for the migraine pain. I'm sure there's an inter-related web of nastiness among the allergies<>migraine<>and now, the T.

For all of you folks, what is the best Forum board for asking general questions... such as "If I have vestibular issues with my T, should I take any precautions before flying (or not fly at all)?"

For all of you folks, what is the best Forum board for asking general questions... such as "If I have vestibular issues with my T, should I take any precautions before flying (or not fly at all)?"

"Support" forum is the best for that.

But there is already an existing Flying & Tinnitus thread, so you might want to post your question there.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/flying-tinnitus.1001/

Welcome to Tinnitus Talk!

Hey, thanks Markku. Based upon what I've read so far, you are "Mr. T". (That's a poor reference to a 1980's TV show.)

24310894.jpg

Screech I can sympathize with you on the allergies. I am in Spokane (not too far from you) and I get them pretty bad. I have resisted taking anything but I am thinking of trying out butterbur which is a supplement that helps with allergies and migraines.

Yes, good suggestion on the butterbur, erik. I also take that as a supplement, along with a few other natural supplements. If I don't keep solid with the Allertec (Costco's Allegra), things go south. Spokane is awesome. I was born and raised in Yakima and I lived in Spokane for about 6 months a million years ago.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now