First Tinnitus Retraining Therapy Session — 3 Months Since I Got Tinnitus from Fighter Jets

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gsheetrock, Sep 12, 2024.

1. gsheetrock

gsheetrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      F-35 fighter jets
      It's been 3 months since I developed tinnitus from exposure to fighter jets, and I need to start Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT). My first appointment is coming up soon.

What are some good questions to ask my audiologist? Also, what ear devices do you use for masking (not sure if "masking" is the right term, but hopefully, you know what I mean)?

I've come across a lot of different hearing aids and sound generators for tinnitus management, and I’ll need to buy something. There seem to be a lot of options, and cost isn't a concern—I'm just looking for whatever will help the most.

Thank you!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had TRT twice in the 28 years I’ve had tinnitus. It’s too soon for you to start TRT, CBT, or any other long-term treatment for tinnitus. I recommend waiting another 3 to 4 months before beginning TRT.

Please click on the link below and read my thread: What Is TRT and When Should It Be Started?

Take care,
      Michael

What Is TRT and When Should It Be Started? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      To answer your question, as @Michael Leigh suggested, it’s worth asking how soon after the onset of tinnitus TRT is appropriate. However, you should know that TRT is well-documented as not being significantly more effective than many other forms of care. Additionally, it is both expensive and time-consuming, which is why it has largely been phased out as a standard treatment around the world. That doesn’t mean it won’t work for some, but it's important to manage your expectations regarding its effectiveness as a solution.

The hard truth is that tinnitus remains a bit of a medical mystery. Aside from a few cases where tinnitus is caused by anxiety (which can potentially be addressed by treating the anxiety), or when there’s a mechanical cause (such as blood pressure issues, tumors, or TMJ), which might be resolved by correcting the underlying physical problem, there’s no guaranteed solution. For most people, tinnitus either goes away on its own or persists, and we don’t have much control over it.

From my understanding, the most important and potentially beneficial thing you can do at this stage for both your well-being and the possibility of tinnitus subsiding is to focus on calming yourself down. Tinnitus can be highly traumatic, and most treatments, including TRT, are based on the theory that we can train the brain to disregard the noise, treating it as unimportant. The goal is for the brain to eventually ignore the sound, much like how it filters out other bodily noises (for example, do you constantly hear yourself breathe or notice your blood flowing through your body?).

At your early stage, I would recommend talking to audiologists about strategies to help you calm your involuntary limbic system response to the trauma of tinnitus. This could include noise generators, medication, TRT, CBT, or even talk therapy.

Hang in there.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      There is no scientific evidence supporting TRT. If it were effective, it would be widely available through the NHS. However, it is only available in very limited quantities here.

Consider getting CBT instead!

• Agree Agree x 1